Miami media takes an early shot at Buffalo

HOUSE

46 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Far from "getting used to" the heat and humidity, they go from air conditioned homes to air conditioned garages, push the garage door opener, drive to a shaded parking garage and take the air conditioned elevator to their building lobby where they work in an air conditioned office all day.  On the way home, they remote start their car so it cools down before they get in.  They have no heat tolerance at all.

But don't people who stay in the colder climes do exactly the same things with heating instead of A/C?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

i have a solid amount of family there, and you'd be surprised how it can potentially be a wash.  if you're near the water, my understanding is flood insurance can kill you, and the HOA fees that are $800-$1000 plus make up for the taxes alone.

This. Everyone likes to harp about no income tax, which I'm sure is great if you make a massive salary but most people don't. You then also get nickel and dime'd on just about everything else, end up paying higher sales taxes (which are regressive, not progressive), higher property taxes and typically suffer with crappier government services and public education because those areas are underfunded.

Anyway, back to football talk. Squish the fish!

Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

I say the following while fully acknowledging that I just posted a GIF of sawing off the state of Florida and letting it float out to sea, but...

Taking potshots at opposing teams' cities is the lowest form of smack talk in existence. There is an infinite amount of on-field stuff to talk smack about. Badmouthing the place people choose to live, or were born in, or whatever -- ESPECIALLY when, as is often the case, the person doing the badmouthing has never even BEEN to the place they're badmouthing -- is just cheap, lowbrow, unnecessary garbage.

Sports smacktalk should stay in the realm of sports. When you start getting into talking crap about where people live, it turns personal. It doesn't need to -- and shouldn't -- get to that level.

Dolphins fans have no choice but to resort to this lowbrow crap, though, because right now the Bills have the better record, the better seed, and the better odds of winning the division. They've got nothing else.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

But don't people who stay in the colder climes do exactly the same things with heating instead of A/C?

Not to my experience, though I guess more so in US than in Europe (esp. Scandinavia) where you'll see people dining outdoors in 30 degree weather

I think it might be because in colder climes, you have to actually DO something outside.  Even if you have a heated garage and hire a snow removal service for your driveway, you may need to shovel your porch and sidewalk.  Then the kids all want to run around and make snow angels and snowmen and snow forts.

I travel to the West coast and see people wearing down jackets when it's 50 degrees out (while I'm in shorts and sandals).  I don't see that in Buffalo (but maybe I'm blind) and around my kid's college campus it was pretty common to see kids dressed pretty lightly in what I thought was cool or cold weather (of course, then there were the International students from Dubai who were wearing 2 sweaters a down vest and a parka in October....)

Then there was the time we were in S. Florida over Christmas.  We took our kid to a beach, where we were sitting around in our swimsuits building a sand castle with her.  It was maybe low 70s and a bit cloudy.  This lifeguard jogged by wearing leggings and a fleece hoodie, stopped and did a double take.  "Where are you folks from?"  "Midwest" "Oh.  That would explain it."

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Given it’s geographical shape and location, it’s been a comedic theme for a long time now. If you want actual names, dates, etc. just try googling the subject. 

8 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

i did goggle it and no such mention, sounds like that was in your head/on your mind

An MSNBC "personality" was just fired for saying this, among other things

This doesn’t bother me at all. Pretty pathetic actually, and grasping at straws. They can’t even take a football-related shot. It’s all they have. Buffalo is not a glamorous city, but it’s a great community with authentic people. 

I do always find it funny that Buffalo seems to get the ‘trash city’ rep. Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, etc seem to skate through (not calling them trash cities, but they’re similar to Buffalo).  

- someone that no longer lives in Buffalo, but misses it. 

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

It's funny...

Tua has to be the most unloved QB in the league. Guys throws for 2 TD and almost 300 yards against a monster SF defense and he stinks again when last week it was "MVP! MVP!"

It's like with Tua everyone is just waiting to say "see, he stinks!" the second he has a not great game. 

Meanwhile, a certain ancient scrawny QB stinks the entire game, then takes a bunch of check downs against prevent defense, gets a predictable DPI and suddenly "it's INCREDIBLE! MAGIC!" because they beat the 4-9 Saints at home. 

Dolphins fans will turn on Tua in an instant. I'm not saying he's great, but it's kind of crazy at this point. 

Tua’s a good kid and he’s got a quick release, but he’s been surrounded by solid to spectacular talent. Now he has no excuses for going deep in the playoffs. Injuries,tough scheduling or bad calls won’t cut it.

14 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

This doesn’t bother me at all. Pretty pathetic actually, and grasping at straws. They can’t even take a football-related shot. It’s all they have. Buffalo is not a glamorous city, but it’s a great community with authentic people. 

I do always find it funny that Buffalo seems to get the ‘trash city’ rep. Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, etc seem to skate through (not calling them trash cities, but they’re similar to Buffalo).  

- someone that no longer lives in Buffalo, but misses it. 

Cleveland, Detroit and Cincinnati take all the crap that Buffalo does from other fans and the national media. I never hear that stuff about Pittsburgh though.

6 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Cleveland, Detroit and Cincinnati take all the crap that Buffalo does from other fans and the national media. I never hear that stuff about Pittsburgh though.

Its the cities. Niagara Falls especially is not what it should be, just by looking at what Canada did with their side. Buffalo has had a bit of a renaissance, the stench of Niagara Falls overtakes any gains because people go to that landmark if they come to Buffalo.

Pittsburgh made some magic by reinventing itself from shutdown steel industry to the opposite with clean parks, clean rivers, green initiatives and a general uplifting aesthetic. 

Edited by What a Tuel

2 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Love Going to South Florida once, maybe twice between January and March. Outside of that, terrible. I don't know how those people can live there in the Summer.

The same you you live in the freezing cold. Just deal with it. Been here 35 years. Buffalo is always home but golf, fishing, the ocean is awesome year round 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

The same you you live in the freezing cold. Just deal with it. Been here 35 years. Buffalo is always home but golf, fishing, the ocean is awesome year round 

I don't know about him but I like mixing it up. 6 months of bugs, humidity, and heat are enough for me and they are far more mild than Florida. 

The fall months are the most refreshing time of the year to me. I wouldn't give that up.

2 hours ago, Lagoon Blues said:

You stay inside in NY in winter.  You stay inside in FL for summer.

I can always put more clothes on in winter to stay warm in New York.

If I take off too many clothes to stay cool in Florida, I get arrested.

I go outside in winter all the time.  It is not an impediment to my outdoor enjoyment at all.  Can't say that about summer in Florida.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.