Off topic 2023 draft

78thealltimegreat

2 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Some of my thoughts as to why they wait until mid to late rounds for OL and may depend on 1 guy, Morse. 

If Morse returns and finishes his contract, I think our starting 5 are basically already in place.

Dawkins, Ike (I like Ike😉), Morse, Bates and Brown.

I think Ike returns and they like him, otherwise I don't think they would have kept him this year. 

Doyle is already here as a SWT. I believe they will re-sign Saffold as he already stated he will do whatever it takes to stay. I also think they will re-sign one if not two of Q, Hart or GVR to have veteran depth or a FA guard(like a Risner?). So you're only looking at some depth and future starters for 24' and beyond. So I just don't see day 1 or early day two picks being used. Plus you still have OT's Anderson and Van Demark on the PS for the past year.

May not be popular, but all in all, 3rd or later for OL.

Also, Given our track record easing rookies in, I just don't see an early pick being used. 

Please don't bring back Saffold, I would rather roll the dice on a 3rd round guard than put him back at there.

13 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I'm for new blood, just see it rnd 3 or later and maybe only 1 or 2 at most drafted. Could definitely see a couple of undrafted OL being signed though.

I know money is tight but it'd be nice to see the bills pony up in free agency and sign a top guard just coming into his own even though I know it would be pricey. I believe there's four or five solid ones this year.

Just now, TheBeaneBandit said:

I know money is tight but it'd be nice to see the bills pony up in free agency and sign a top guard just coming into his own even though I know it would be pricey. I believe there's four or five solid ones this year.

Yes, there are a few options, I like Dalton Risner the best. Nate Davis and Ben Powers would be good too, and big upgrades from Saffold. 

11 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Yes, there are a few options, I like Dalton Risner the best. Nate Davis and Ben Powers would be good too, and big upgrades from Saffold. 

I like Risner as well, but more than likely to cost double+ what Saffold will. Would you get double the productivity/results? Not sure. Probably the same with Davis? Don't really know anything about Powers, would have to look further.

22 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Totally agree with this. I known a lot of people are already clamoring for 1st round OL, but it ain’t there. 

I see it too. I am of the same philosophy as some others. You only draft LT's in the first unless there is a generational talent there (i.e. Quenton Nelson type) and I just don't see it available in the 23' draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Davis, Risner, Powers just aren’t fits in terms of what the Bills seem to be looking for in terms of high RAS type linemen. Not saying they won’t pursue them, but they don’t fit the type. Though I do really like Risner. Powers to me is a Bozeman type, heavy thick slow linemen who is only a fit in an offense like Baltimore’s. Davis has some untapped potential. 

My target is the Jets’ Connor McGovern. He’s a fit as super high RAS guy. McGovern can play guard too. He’s probably my favorite target. He plays nasty. McGovern also fits the type in terms of a former college left tackle who kicked inside. Our entire starting five were left tackles (Spencer Brown was a RT simply because he played with Penning.) You are also hurting the Jets in the process. McGovern could potentially replace Morse or play RG moving Bates to LG, or simply plug in at LG. He adds to the position flexibility.

Centers Scott Quessenberry, Garret Bradbury Are super high RAS guys who could fit. Bradbury will be expensive. Max Sharping seems like a buy low guy Kromer could fix. He’s a former left tackle with some athletic traits. Billy Turner could be an interesting vet to kick  in to guard. 

In my ideal dream world they try to work a trade for Chris Lindstrom or Joel Bitonio. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Davis, Risner, Powers just aren’t fits in terms of what the Bills seem to be looking for in terms of high RAS type linemen. Not saying they won’t pursue them, but they don’t fit the type. Though I do really like Risner. Powers to me is a Bozeman type, heavy thick slow linemen who is only a fit in an offense like Baltimore’s. Davis has some untapped potential. 

My target is the Jets’ Connor McGovern. He’s a fit as super high RAS guy. McGovern can play guard too. He’s probably my favorite target. He plays nasty. McGovern also fits the type in terms of a former college left tackle who kicked inside. Our entire starting five were left tackles (Spencer Brown was a RT simply because he played with Penning.) You are also hurting the Jets in the process. McGovern could potentially replace Morse or play RG moving Bates to LG, or simply plug in at LG. He adds to the position flexibility.

Centers Scott Quessenberry, Garret Bradbury Are super high RAS guys who could fit. Bradbury will be expensive. Max Sharping seems like a buy low guy Kromer could fix. He’s a former left tackle with some athletic traits. Billy Turner could be an interesting vet to kick  in to guard. 

In my ideal dream world they try to work a trade for Chris Lindstrom or Joel Bitonio. 

Whatever they decide to do with the OL I hope it involves bringing in at least 1 veteran player and a rookie, do not want 2 rookies being placed in starting spots on the line. Take a guy in round 2 or 3 and draft a developmental guy in round 5 or 6.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Agree on Bates if Morse retired. 

As to Saftey. As we've discussed for years now. McD and this staff are excellent at grooming or getting the best out of DB's. If this is truly the case, why would we draft safeties early or often? Both Poyer and Hyde were later round picks and look at what they've done.

My thoughts exactly. McD is excellent at developing DBs. I don’t like the idea of taking on early. We did it last year, but please don’t do it again this year. Not with the holes/needs on the offensive side. 

1 hour ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Dalton Risner

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Agree on Bates if Morse retired. 

As to Saftey. As we've discussed for years now. McD and this staff are excellent at grooming or getting the best out of DB's. If this is truly the case, why would we draft safeties early or often? Both Poyer and Hyde were later round picks and look at what they've done.

Seems like Mc'd's thinking is sign the right CB with the proper skills and play him at safety and has had good success with doing that.  But that player needs to be identified and more importantly be available.

9 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Seems like Mc'd's thinking is sign the right CB with the proper skills and play him at safety and has had good success with doing that.  But that player needs to be identified and more importantly be available.

True. And he could already be on the roster.🤫😁

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.