Off topic 2023 draft

78thealltimegreat

19 hours ago, whorlnut said:

This is where I’m at. I look at cinci and Miami and would love to see what Allen could do with those weapons. I wouldn’t trade Diggs for anyone, but if we had hill, waddle, Higgins, Boyd, or chase instead of Davis…wow. 

If the Bills listened to me we would have drafted Cooper Kupp and DK Metcalf and then have Diggs, would probably be the best trio in the league.

I probably would have drafted Justin Jefferson but Diggs and Josh do seem to have a connection

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

If the Bills listened to me we would have drafted Cooper Kupp and DK Metcalf and then have Diggs, would probably be the best trio in the league.

I probably would have drafted Justin Jefferson but Diggs and Josh do seem to have a connection

They do “seem to”.

Listen…Justin Jefferson is amazing, but Diggs is perfect for this team. Not one ounce of “what if” in mind when it comes to Jefferson. 

3 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

They do “seem to”.

Listen…Justin Jefferson is amazing, but Diggs is perfect for this team. Not one ounce of “what if” in mind when it comes to Jefferson. 

Same and the Bills NEEDED a vet. They needed someone to elevate Josh immediately. Now the world is different, Josh is an elite QB.... now you should be drafting receivers for him early and often. The Steelers model is the one I have advocated (or something similar to that). They haven't actually drafted a 1st round receiver since Santonio Holmes back in 2006 (I think the Bills should be open to take a 1st round receiver) but the bit I want the Bills to copy is that since 2008 in 14 drafts they have drafted a receiver on day 2 ELEVEN times. It is almost as though they say "whatever happens we are going to try and find a receiver early". I think the Bills should take a similar approach. The odd first round shot would be nice... but they should be looking for a day 2 shot most years. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/7/2022 at 4:08 PM, GunnerBill said:

Rounds 1 and 2 need to be oline and wide receiver if at all possible. I haven't got started on this class yet but my guess is WR rd1, OL rd2 will be the efficient way to do it. If they then must have their safety in round 3, fine. 

A round 1 safety would not please me. 

Bingo.  Normally you can grab a quality safety in later rounds.  Line plus WR.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/7/2022 at 9:34 AM, 78thealltimegreat said:

Even though we have much bigger goals with the current season I figured I’d look at a few mock drafts for 2023 and the consensus again seems the Bills should draft a running back in R1. 
For the first time in forever I think Buffalo is set a RB and we need oline and WR as the top priorities on this team. 

I think the focus of this draft should be the offense (WRs and OL, specifically), Safety and LB.

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Same and the Bills NEEDED a vet. They needed someone to elevate Josh immediately. Now the world is different, Josh is an elite QB.... now you should be drafting receivers for him early and often. The Steelers model is the one I have advocated (or something similar to that). They haven't actually drafted a 1st round receiver since Santonio Holmes back in 2006 (I think the Bills should be open to take a 1st round receiver) but the bit I want the Bills to copy is that since 2008 in 14 drafts they have drafted a receiver on day 2 ELEVEN times. It is almost as though they say "whatever happens we are going to try and find a receiver early". I think the Bills should take a similar approach. The odd first round shot would be nice... but they should be looking for a day 2 shot most years. 

I completely agree. The Steelers constantly roll out really good receivers and they rinse and repeat without paying them. I want the bills to take a shot on an elite traits guy if they are there in round 1. Enough of the mid to late rounders. 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I completely agree. The Steelers constantly roll out really good receivers and they rinse and repeat without paying them. I want the bills to take a shot on an elite traits guy if they are there in round 1. Enough of the mid to late rounders. 

Brandon Beane has been in charge of five drafts. Yes he traded a 1st for Diggs but the highest pick he has ever used to select a receiver was a 4th rounder on Gabe Davis. Now don't get me wrong Gabe has been a great pick for a 4th rounder. I'm still confident Shakir will end up a good pick for a 5th rounder. But he cannot live on day 3 for receivers. Day 1 and day 2 picks at the position need to become a more regular thing. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Brandon Beane has been in charge of five drafts. Yes he traded a 1st for Diggs but the highest pick he has ever used to select a receiver was a 4th rounder on Gabe Davis. Now don't get me wrong Gabe has been a great pick for a 4th rounder. I'm still confident Shakir will end up a good pick for a 5th rounder. But he cannot live on day 3 for receivers. Day 1 and day 2 picks at the position need to become a more regular thing. 

Imo Davis has one year with this team. I can’t see Beane paying another big WR contract. Beane is going to have to draft a WR this year and I hope it’s with a high pick on someone with elite traits. 

Just now, whorlnut said:

Imo Davis has one year with this team. I can’t see Beane paying another big WR contract. Beane is going to have to draft a WR this year and I hope it’s with a high pick on someone with elite traits. 

Yea I am leaning towards Gabe being the odd one out too. But still he will have been a great pick for a 4th rounder. Might even net us that back in a comp pick too. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

OT like the thread,  but if we do move on from Singletary, I really like the way this kid Zach Charbonnet out of ucla runs.  He’s a bigger back 6’1, 220+ and has a nice feel.  I gotta see more of him, but we need one of those bigger backs that provide a bit of Yang to our ying and our smaller backs.  

• Dislike 1

On 12/7/2022 at 10:08 AM, GunnerBill said:

Rounds 1 and 2 need to be oline and wide receiver if at all possible. I haven't got started on this class yet but my guess is WR rd1, OL rd2 will be the efficient way to do it. If they then must have their safety in round 3, fine. 

A round 1 safety would not please me. 

I love what little I've seen of both Josh Downs and Zay Flowers.  Both are likely slot receivers though.  Still, slot is the big weakness (I think) right now.  Would like a slightly better #2 than Gabe Davis, but he is pretty good and would be a great 3rd option outside if a better option were to be drafted.

Not sure what to think of Jaxon Smith-Njigba - he's likely mostly a slot receiver as well.

19 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I love what little I've seen of both Josh Downs and Zay Flowers.  Both are likely slot receivers though.  Still, slot is the big weakness (I think) right now.  Would like a slightly better #2 than Gabe Davis, but he is pretty good and would be a great 3rd option outside if a better option were to be drafted.

Not sure what to think of Jaxon Smith-Njigba - he's likely mostly a slot receiver as well.

Not sure slot is a big weakness. I don't think we really have seen what Shakir can do yet. Being a rookie this season. I think with getting some experience this year and another off season, he will show his worth going forward. Still have McKenzie uner contract next season and I think they could also offer Crowder another 1yr deal. Heck, even Beasley if push came to shove. Think there may be more options in FA for a slot if needed than an outside wr.

I also think Gabe is a very good #2, but may be much better (great) as a #3 outside.

I feel we really need a 1b/2 outside wr to try and shift some focus away from Diggs. Can't see spending money in FA on a top WR, so, I would say it has to come through the draft.

Maybe a Jalin Hyatt or Rashee Rice based upon where we are drafting in rnd 1 and who may be available? I like what I have seen and read so far on these two. Bottom of rnd 1, top of 2?

Otherwise,  I would focus on the Oline, maybe trade back and pick up a couple of extra picks and move around the board later.

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Not sure slot is a big weakness. I don't think we really have seen what Shakir can do yet. Being a rookie this season. I think with getting some experience this year and another off season, he will show his worth going forward. Still have McKenzie uner contract next season and I think they could also offer Crowder another 1yr deal. Heck, even Beasley if push came to shove. Think there may be more options in FA for a slot if needed than an outside wr.

I also think Gabe is a very good #2, but may be much better (great) as a #3 outside.

I feel we really need a 1b/2 outside wr to try and shift some focus away from Diggs. Can't see spending money in FA on a top WR, so, I would say it has to come through the draft.

Maybe a Jalin Hyatt or Rashee Rice based upon where we are drafting in rnd 1 and who may be available? I like what I have seen and read so far on these two. Bottom of rnd 1, top of 2?

Otherwise,  I would focus on the Oline, maybe trade back and pick up a couple of extra picks and move around the board later.

Agree, I’d like a bit better #2 outside receiver than Gabe Davis - not saying Davis is no good, but comparing Diggs&Davis against Hill & Waddle or Chase & Higgins, I think Davis comes up short in those comparisons.

I point to slot receiver as a need because the offense seemed to operate better back before Beasley started declining.  It was so valuable to have a highly reliable hands guy who could find the openings underneath to keep the chains moving.  I haven’t given up on Shakir, but it is a little concerning that he has played so little when they have had injury problems at the position.  Crowder has at least shown that he can play a bit in the league.  I like McKenzie as a try-hard guy, but I don’t think his hands are good enough and he doesn’t seem to know how to find the soft spots underneath like Beasley could.

If they take an outside WR in the first, he needs to be clearly better than Davis and we’ll have to see as the offseason unfolds if anyone who will be available late first fits that description.  On the other hand, I think a dynamic slot like Downs or maybe Zay Flowers would be a clear upgrade over McKenzie and crew and would help Davis and Diggs by commanding attention over the middle.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/8/2022 at 12:13 PM, John from Riverside said:

Not just speed, but an actual play maker just drafting for speed is how you end up getting a Marquez Stevenson

I still say that before this season is over people are going to regret bashing on Davis is trajectory is a wide receiver was straight up prior to this year and he has flattened out, but I don’t think he’s done

I hope you are right.  I don’t think Davis is bad, but unless he keeps improving, he isn’t scaring any defenses and his consistency has been lacking.  That being said, I would not be surprised if he is not completely healthy this year - he was really hobbled early and probably should have been held out, but he played through the injury because they had nobody else.  He might still not be 100%.

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I hope you are right.  I don’t think Davis is bad, but unless he keeps improving, he isn’t scaring any defenses and his consistency has been lacking.  That being said, I would not be surprised if he is not completely healthy this year - he was really hobbled early and probably should have been held out, but he played through the injury because they had nobody else.  He might still not be 100%.

He might not be, but a number of folks opined that he was too inconsistent to be considered a solid #2 before the season. At the time, they were frequently ridiculed, but I think the season has proven them correct. Davis makes plays, but disappears for long stretches and gets the dropsies at times. Some of that may be injury related. He may have a problem staying healthy. I would not pay him #2 money. We need a better, more talented outside wr if we want to maximize Josh Allen and compete with the best offenses in the game. Of course, we also really need to upgrade Oline.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.