Off topic 2023 draft

78thealltimegreat

3 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Agree with most that O-line and outside WR are top priorities. Then safety and possibly MLB if we don't extend Edmunds.

Would like to see a bigger back (220 lbs plus) with good speed (say 4.5) drafted late to be the thunder to Cook's lightning.

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Bills likely need to go Oline twice in the first four rounds and then WR and safety assuming Poyer is gone. The team drafted Cook in round 2 even if Motor walks and Hines is cut they can use a later round pick for depth and sign a cheaper RB to round out a committee. The team has much more pressing needs than tossing yet another premium pick at the RB position.

The Bills best to NOT bypass Bijan Robinson if available!! Yes, the FA market at RB is good, but the $ it would cost to sign one is greater than drafting Bijan. 

1 hour ago, 947 said:

If we lose Poyer,

This simply can't happen

11 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The Bills best to NOT bypass Bijan Robinson if available!! Yes, the FA market at RB is good, but the $ it would cost to sign one is greater than drafting Bijan. 

This simply can't happen

The 32nd pick in the draft got about 3m per year.  

That would slot in at 19th in the NFL for running backs with the highest AAV at 16M for CMC.

That would slot in at about 55th in the NFL for wide receivers with the highest AAV at 30M for Tyreek Hill.

You can make many arguments about why you like the player, or a RB at that spot.  But cap management is not a reason.  

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

This simply can't happen

So, your off-season wish list is to pay an aging Safety and draft a RB in RD1?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, SCBills said:

So, your off-season wish list is to pay an aging Safety and draft a RB in RD1?

Poyer is gone. I’d put money on it. Does it make me happy?  Not one bit. But someone has to go and I’ll bet they pay a 24 year old LB with 5 years experience over an aging safety. Besides…I think we’ve seen enough from Hamlin to believe he can play alongside Hyde and do very well. 

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Poyer is gone. I’d put money on it. Does it make me happy?  Not one bit. But someone has to go and I’ll bet they pay a 24 year old LB with 5 years experience over an aging safety. Besides…I think we’ve seen enough from Hamlin to believe he can play alongside Hyde and do very well. 

Why can't they give Poyer upfront money? What happens if Hamlin gets injured? Poyer is still playing at a high level. 

• Agree 1

During the drought, the Bills were usually out of it by now, or hanging on by a thread and that's when the draft posts would start up. Been kinda nice not to be talking draft so early these last few seasons haha. 

That said, I haven't looked at the prospects yet at all but I'd say they should maybe think about another WR if the group is real strong again. I'd say OL but I don't think Beane will ever go for an OL in the first round. He's said it many times that OL are the least developed players coming into the league right now because so many of them are on offenses that throw it all the time. And after whiffing on Ford in the second, I dunno, I feel like he might rather address it in free agency. 

Maybe a linebacker? Really want Edmunds to stay. It'd be a shame to work with and develop the guy these last five years just to see him walk. 

Safety has to be in consideration in the early rounds. Looks like Hyde will be back but I don't know about Poyer. They like Hamlin but I'm sure they'd like to create some competition there. 

WR, S, G, LB, RB... something like that. 

Joe Marino had an interesting question posed to him on Locked On Bills about trading Gabe Davis for a 2 if we sign OBJ.  

Not gonna lie.. Diggs/OBJ & McKenzie/Shakir heading into the draft with a 1, 2, 2 & 3 in the Top 100 picks looks enticing.   

Especially with OBJ a full season removed from injury/recovery and likely on a team friendly contract for a high end WR2. 

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Joe Marino had an interesting question posed to him on Locked On Bills about trading Gabe Davis for a 2 if we sign OBJ.  

Not gonna lie.. Diggs/OBJ & McKenzie/Shakir heading into the draft with a 1, 2, 2 & 3 in the Top 100 picks looks enticing.   

Especially with OBJ a full season removed from injury/recovery and likely on a team friendly contract for a high end WR2. 

The thing with Davis is he will probably want too much money to stick around after next year. Even if we keep him, we should really go after a top end wr prospect in the draft. Better to keep that cupboard full. At the very least, it creates competition for Davis, who was largely just handed the job this year. 

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

The thing with Davis is he will probably want too much money to stick around after next year. Even if we keep him, we should really go after a top end wr prospect in the draft. Better to keep that cupboard full. At the very least, it creates competition for Davis, who was largely just handed the job this year. 

This is where I’m at, and wonder (if we sign obj) if part of it isn’t truly because they want him here next year.  

We obviously know this coaching staff is slow as molasses in integrating rookies. Allows them to draft a WR high to be WR3 and eliminates the decision of do we pay Gabe or let him walk for nothing after the season. 

Given Josh Allen’s contract hitting next year, we’re starting to get to the point where questions need to be asked about moving guys a year early for draft picks rather than playing out their final year and leaving for nothing.  

Love Gabe’s big play ability, but he would seem to be a prime candidate after the season to be moved if OBJ is in the fold.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This is where I’m at, and wonder (if we sign obj) if part of it isn’t truly because they want him here next year.  

We obviously know this coaching staff is slow as molasses in integrating rookies. Allows them to draft a WR high to be WR3 and eliminates the decision of do we pay Gabe or let him walk for nothing after the season. 

Given Josh Allen’s contract hitting next year, we’re starting to get to the point where questions need to be asked about moving guys a year early for draft picks rather than playing out their final year and leaving for nothing.  

Love Gabe’s big play ability, but he would seem to be a prime candidate after the season to be moved if OBJ is in the fold.  

Davis is a boom or bust guy. He runs bad routes but will mix in a big play downfield from time to time. I can’t fathom us paying Allen, Diggs, knox, and Davis at the same time. I feel Davis will be done after next year at the least and we need to bring in someone to learn the system. I just hope it’s not another late round pick. 

17 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Even though we have much bigger goals with the current season I figured I’d look at a few mock drafts for 2023 and the consensus again seems the Bills should draft a running back in R1. 
For the first time in forever I think Buffalo is set a RB and we need oline and WR as the top priorities on this team. 

We Need more elite WRs , we dont need anymore RBs. Imagine if we had Cincinnati's top 3

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

9 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Davis is a boom or bust guy. He runs bad routes but will mix in a big play downfield from time to time. I can’t fathom us paying Allen, Diggs, knox, and Davis at the same time. I feel Davis will be done after next year at the least and we need to bring in someone to learn the system. I just hope it’s not another late round pick. 

I think "runs bad routes" is harsh. I mean sure he isn't Stef Diggs but he is a decent route runner and last season he was even separating at a greater rate than previously which to a large extent was the work he has done on his release off the line. It IS fair to say his separation has been more pedestrian this year. I am not sure how healthy that ankle has been all year since hurting it early. But that has led to a higher % of contested balls and his hands have never been his best asset. He is like a 55% catch guy for his career. 

I am at the "he's a low end #2 - a big play guy rather than the every play guy we hoped" point. And I am actually intrigued by the idea above that at least testing his trade value is a good idea because he is bottom of my list of the guys coming up to pay.

• Agree 1

Would like to see to offensive lineman, taking high in this next draft

I sincerely hope that we do not take another defensive lineman

and hopefully corner is also off the list

I think it really depends on what they do with Tremaine Edmunds

would like to see Edmonds come back and round one and to get a wide receiver, and a offense of lineman 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.