Off topic 2023 draft

78thealltimegreat

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

For the first time in forever I think Buffalo is set a RB and we need oline and WR as the top priorities on this team. 

Not saying we don't need WR or O-line, we do, but unless we bring back Singeltary we've only got what Cook and Hines? Wouldn't be surprised if we take a RB in the middle rounds again.

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

I fully agree that WR and OL should be the top two priorities.

As I said here not long ago, I'd be fine with the whole offseason revolving entirely around upgrading the offense.

That said, if Edmunds is not re-signed, the Bills will have a massive hole at MLB, and you can damned sure bet they'll be forced to spend a premium pick to replace him.

Not happening imo. They will resign edmunds and they should. He was beanes second draft pick and moved up in the first to get him. He is the epitome of beanes draft, develop, retain policy. 

• Like (+1) 1

Even though we have much bigger goals with the current season I figured I’d look at a few mock drafts for 2023 and the consensus again seems the Bills should draft a running back in R1. 
For the first time in forever I think Buffalo is set a RB and we need oline and WR as the top priorities on this team. 

FULL STOP, if the Bills are able to draft Bijan Robinson at their pick in rd 1 they better not hesitate. The Bills need a DYNAMIC RB in their backfield. You see glimpses of it with Cook. Had they taken my advice in last year's draft and taken Breece and Tariq in the 1st two rounds they could focus on other areas in this year's draft. But I digress

• Agree 2

I think we need to be C in either rd 1 or 2. Morse is no spring chicken and the drafted player can play guard and be groomed for C until Morse’s time is up. Then grab another interior lineman in rd 3 or 4. We also need help with MLB, as there’s a considerable drop-off when Edmunds is out. I also am not sold on our safeties when Hyde and Poyer are out. And both may be out permanently next season. 

I’m still not on board drafting another WR high. I think Shakir and Davis can fill the #2 role. Plus, when our offense (ie Josh) is sputtering, I’m not sure giving him another target will make all the difference. We still need the running game dimension and OL can help with this. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Saint Doug said:

I think we need to be C in either rd 1 or 2. Morse is no spring chicken and the drafted player can play guard and be groomed for C until Morse’s time is up. Then grab another interior lineman in rd 3 or 4. We also need help with MLB, as there’s a considerable drop-off when Edmunds is out. I also am not sold on our safeties when Hyde and Poyer are out. And both may be out permanently next season. 

I’m still not on board drafting another WR high. I think Shakir and Davis can fill the #2 role. Plus, when our offense (ie Josh) is sputtering, I’m not sure giving him another target will make all the difference. We still need the running game dimension and OL can help with this. 

Disagree on MLB. They used a day 2 pick on one last year in Bernard. They need to develop him. No more LB. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Even though we have much bigger goals with the current season I figured I’d look at a few mock drafts for 2023 and the consensus again seems the Bills should draft a running back in R1. 

If the resources you had followed had the past consensus being RBs, maybe you should stop following them.  Or at least not refer to them as any sort of expert.  The Bills had Singletary and Moss coming back on rookie contracts, while having glaring holes at DB and WR.

And now you think the Bills are set at RB?  With Singletary a free agent, Moss gone, Hines w a hefty price tag.  Leaves only Cook.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

If the resources you had followed had the past consensus being RBs, maybe you should stop following them.  Or at least not refer to them as any sort of expert.  The Bills had Singletary and Moss coming back on rookie contracts, while having glaring holes at DB and WR.

And now you think the Bills are set at RB?  With Singletary a free agent, Moss gone, Hines w a hefty price tag.  Leaves only Cook.

Cook is here, Hines is signed for two years, and have you seen the free agent rb class? It is deep Singletary can be replaced tomorrow 

I’ve seen an OT from Texas and Ohio State linked to us.  

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

OL help is huge.  With more time, WRs get open

It's way to early to speculate on this teams needs outside of the obvious (WR/oline/TE).

But given the pending cap situation, I think a lot of difficult decisions will have to be made creating a lot more holes than expected.

This is why it was so critical to seize the opportunity this year with the current window for this roster constructed as is to take advantage before we head into the inevitable transition in 2023 and beyond.

Bills likely need to go Oline twice in the first four rounds and then WR and safety assuming Poyer is gone. The team drafted Cook in round 2 even if Motor walks and Hines is cut they can use a later round pick for depth and sign a cheaper RB to round out a committee. The team has much more pressing needs than tossing yet another premium pick at the RB position.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Oh boy... I can't wait for mock drafts.

The NFL has cleverly created a calendar to keep serious fans locked in all year: early summer OTAs, camp, regular season, Black Monday coach firing day, extended playoffs, Super Bowl, free agency, and finally the draft. And they’ve hooked me. I pay attention to all of that. Except the pre-draft month or so with the preposterous mock drafts in which the very best will get about 4 or 5 picks correct (meaning team + pick number match up). Why people do this, I’ll never know. That’s the time to take a month of from thinking about the NFL. Tune back in on draft day itself. 

If we lose Poyer, I'd much rather see McBeane identify another up & comer like Poyer was in FA than draft one high. There has to be an under-utilized & under-coached DB on the rise somewhere in the league with the traits McD wants & won't command a big cap hit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

RB does become a need if we let Singletary walk, but for the love of god, do not draft one in the 1st round. 

O-line and WR are bigger and more important needs. 

I probably wouldn't draft one unless it was in the late stages of the draft.  Pierce was a 4th, Allgeier was a 5th, Pacheco a 7th - and those are 3 of the 5 top running backs.  The year before you had Stevenson who was a 4th, Mitchell a 6th, Herbert a 6th, Carter a 6th.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Cook is here, Hines is signed for two years, and have you seen the free agent rb class? It is deep Singletary can be replaced tomorrow 

Having Cook and Hines is not being set at RB.  And Hines contract is kind of expensive for what he is.

Getting a free agent RB is different than saying we're set.  

My point was I thought it was weird you thought the consensus the last 2 years was for the Bills to get an RB in the first.  Very few of the ones I saw said that.  Then you said this year we're set at RB.  And to me, this is the least set at RB we've been in years.  Doesn't mean we'll take an RB early, just your reasoning seemed off to me.

22 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Having Cook and Hines is not being set at RB.  And Hines contract is kind of expensive for what he is.

Getting a free agent RB is different than saying we're set.  

My point was I thought it was weird you thought the consensus the last 2 years was for the Bills to get an RB in the first.  Very few of the ones I saw said that.  Then you said this year we're set at RB.  And to me, this is the least set at RB we've been in years.  Doesn't mean we'll take an RB early, just your reasoning seemed off to me.

I don't think it was consensus - but many people wanted Harris and Etienne in 2021, and Hall in 2022.  

The following players are UFAs though:

Barkley

Jacobs

Sanders

Pollard
Williams

Wilson 

Mostert

Montgomery

Singletary

Hunt

Perine

A couple will probably get some decent money, but after the first 3 or 4 big money deals drop and the money dries up they can probably get a pretty good guy for the rotation in the sub-5M AAV range.  Could even be Singletary.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.