Marquez Stevenson Released (update 12/10 - signed to Bills PS)

Dick_Cheney

11 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I have always admitting when I'm wrong here. I don't attack other posters or cry to mods either because I don't like what someone else says or accuse them of being fans of other teams just trolling.

Fact we are arguing and debating a 7th round bust WR is a good thing we can all agree about especially on a 9-3 team that still has legit SB aspirations.

Happy holidays and go bills as well.

You say that and then talk about how the general manager isn’t doing his job correctly you’re talking out of both sides of your mouth

• Agree 3

Always got a TJ Graham vibe from him.  More fast than quick but even in preseason his ball tracking was suspect.  

Hines and Mckenzie negate any need from him as a returner, and Brown likely looked better on the practice field as a more realistic option.  Crowder and Kumerow are the wildcards too.  

He either wasn't going to be activated by the time it was up, or he wasn't going to have a role on the team the remainder of the year.  If he's healthy enough to play maybe he catches on somewhere like.. the NYG?!!!

17 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

I wouldn't put that past Jerruh, but just watching OBJ gimping around while arriving at the Giants facility is a bit worrisome.

How long was he sitting?  I gimp around as well when I get stiff from sitting 

16 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

Bills already have an open roster spot prior to his release.  

Yep I knew that, but the WR help many thought would come from Stevenson will not now.  So it will come from elsewhere and no that is not John Brown.

6 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

I dont think OBJ will be ready to play football this season.

Based on What????  A leaked Dallas report?

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

You say that and then talk about how the general manager isn’t doing his job correctly you’re talking out of both sides of your mouth

Of course he does.  That's what Trolls do.  They hurdle expectations based on logic and reason like Josh Allen sailing over a low blocker.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Logic said:

I have seen nothing -- not one thing -- to suggest to me that Stevenson is an NFL level player.

Even his nickname doesn't check out. They call him "speedy", but he runs a 4.45. That's fast, no doubt, but it's not SPECIAL fast. It's not so fast that you're calling him "Speedy".

Even then, it seems to be buildup speed. He doesn't have much quick-twitch or instant acceleration. He also seems to have trouble actually CATCHING the ball. He wasn't a particularly dangerous or trustworthy looking return man when he got the shot last year.

All in all, he's good for maybe some go balls, and that's about it.

Practice squad sounds right. One more year to work and develop and see if he can stick as a special teams ace or something.

Exactly, plus, like Marquise Goodwin & Roscoe Parrish, he seems to be injury-prone due to lack of size

18 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

That’s interesting. Wonder why they went this route, as opposed to allowing him to revert to IR

I think it's the fair route to allow the kid a reasonable chance to develop as a football player. 

On IR, I believe a player can attend meetings and watch practices.  But they can't actually participate in practice.  That's what this guy needs.

There's a real question with Stevenson as to whether he's ready to be an NFL-level football player.  Can he play "up to" his 40 time?  Can he follow blockers?  Can he release?  Can he track the ball?

So if he's healthy enough to participate in practice, and he wants to be a football player, bringing him back from IR is the only option,but if he isn't ready to be an NFL football player, the Practice Squad is where he belongs.

We seem to have the KR/PR spot locked down now with reasonable backups for both positions.  If we liked what we saw from John Brown's 12 snaps vs. NE, he was just outplayed for the last seat on the gameday roster, so we may not be concerned if Stevenson gets claimed on Waivers.

18 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I feel bad for him to be honest. I just saw something on the Athletic about how he was looking forward to getting back on the field.  That being said, I am not at all surprised. I was expecting an injury settlement. I wonder if he is headed to the practice squad. 

I read that was the intent, but of course if someone claims Stevenson on waivers then he's gone.

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think it's the fair route to allow the kid a reasonable chance to develop as a football player. 

On IR, I believe a player can attend meetings and watch practices.  But they can't actually participate in practice.  That's what this guy needs.

There's a real question with Stevenson as to whether he's ready to be an NFL-level football player.  Can he play "up to" his 40 time?  Can he follow blockers?  Can he release?  Can he track the ball?

So if he's healthy enough to participate in practice, and he wants to be a football player, bringing him back from IR is the only option,but if he isn't ready to be an NFL football player, the Practice Squad is where he belongs.

We seem to have the KR/PR spot locked down now with reasonable backups for both positions.  If we liked what we saw from John Brown's 12 snaps vs. NE, he was just outplayed for the last seat on the gameday roster, so we may not be concerned if Stevenson gets claimed on Waivers.

I read that was the intent, but of course if someone claims Stevenson on waivers then he's gone.

Teams that would be interested in Stevenson might go after a more proven guy like Jaelon Darden who got cut from Tampa. 

18 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

You have to hit on draft picks consistently or you'll find yourself in a bad salary cap situation like this team coincidentally is next year because of all the big money FA contracts we've handed out to FA's to compensate for said bad drafts.

This is just the reality of the situation and why a team like KC is position so well for the near and long term because Veach continues to crush each draft and hit on both high and low draft picks.

No Beane is not terrible, but he's really just average even with striking gold on JA17 and the real reason this team is where they are now.

1002785453_Screenshot2022-12-07112515.thumb.png.731bcc65bccef7615003d17887766a89.png

Draft performance from 2018 - 2021 based on NetAV. 

Weird... do you see where Buffalo is? What about KC?

• Thank you (+1) 1

It could be to get another play maker he hasn't really made any impact other than being injured since he's been here which sucks but with Von now on IR for the rest of this year they haven't missed him so lets get another player that will or can make a difference instead of hoping he will ...

No announcement yesterday that he was resigned to the PS or claimed by another team…

41 minutes ago, T master said:

It could be to get another play maker he hasn't really made any impact other than being injured since he's been here which sucks but with Von now on IR for the rest of this year they haven't missed him so lets get another player that will or can make a difference instead of hoping he will ...

Stevenson doesn’t affect the 53, he was on IR. 

30 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

No announcement yesterday that he was resigned to the PS or claimed by another team…

Stevenson doesn’t affect the 53, he was on IR. 

Was it one of those IR listings where they had or could bring him back at some point or time or was it for the rest of the season ? If it was the IR that they had to bring him back that is what i was referring to in my comments but i wasn't sure what designation it was just assuming .

23 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

How long was he sitting?  I gimp around as well when I get stiff from sitting 

Are you trying to play professional football week after week?  If he gimps after sitting, what's he going to need 2 days after a game, a hoist and a wheelchair?

23 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep I knew that, but the WR help many thought would come from Stevenson will not now.  So it will come from elsewhere and no that is not John Brown.

Question: who are these "many" who thought help at WR would come from Stevenson?

51 minutes ago, T master said:

Was it one of those IR listings where they had or could bring him back at some point or time or was it for the rest of the season ? If it was the IR that they had to bring him back that is what i was referring to in my comments but i wasn't sure what designation it was just assuming .

There's no special designation any more.  Any player on IR can be brought back (up to 2x) during the season

But, the team only gets 8 "return" designations total.

So, it is a bit puzzling that the Bills would use one of their 8 on Stevenson.

What I don't remember is if that carries over past the regular season.  If it re-sets for playoffs, the Bills could be counting games and noses and thinking, with 5 games left and only 5 players on IR who could be brought back (Boettger is on PUP which has different rules, Doyle has an ACL), they're probably safe using 1 of their 8 slots on Stevenson and trying to put him on the practice squad to see if he's learned anything.

The Bills have been very stingy about putting players on IR. They've had several (3 or 4) players who missed 3 games

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.