Marquez Stevenson Released (update 12/10 - signed to Bills PS)

Dick_Cheney

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

Again Beane didn't draft White, Dawkins or Edmunds.

If you want to credit McD for that great but that's always been a very misleading claim validated by Doug Whaley who did draft them and did all the legwork.

That's not the point... you're acting as if they're going out and having to fix mistakes in the draft by overpaying in FA.

It's just blatantly false... 7/10 were drafted and extended.

43 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

OBJ isn't playing this year. If Dallas is concerned about how his physical went, then I'm sure the Bills are just as aware. 

Jerry not sold on OBJ and likely neither is BB. He may not step on a football field this year. His value long term for the Bills isn’t logical given the players currently contributing who we need to sign this off-season.

The OBJ hype seems a bit much given his most notable activity this year will be getting tossed off a plane ✈️ 😂!

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

You have to hit on draft picks consistently or you'll find yourself in a bad salary cap situation like this team coincidentally is next year because of all the big money FA contracts we've handed out to FA's to compensate for said bad drafts.

This is just the reality of the situation and why a team like KC is position so well for the near and long term because Veach continues to crush each draft and hit on both high and low draft picks.

No Beane is not terrible, but he's really just average even with striking gold on JA17 and the real reason this team is where they are now.

Crush? Like Skyy Moore who they took in Round 2 this year? Who has 17 catches this year? Compared to Shakir who we took almost 100 picks later who has 8 catches? 

7 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I've done it over and over and just get flamed for it. Would also like to see this deep dive data again since I'm not stubborn and close minded.

But like I said take away JA17 and the 2017 haul in White/Dawkins/Milano (because he wasn't here and it wasn't his draft), where are the superstars and good to great players he's drafted? (again not FA players).

I'm willing to give him Ed Oliver even though he's a late bloomer. Wyatt Teller counts even though he pretty much admitted he didn't think he was that type of player and why he was traded.

But when you look at the rest of this roster and the core players they are mostly FA signings and trades (Miller/Poyer/Hyde/Morse/etc). Most posters on this board could make those type of moves if given the money and resources of an NFL front office. Again boils down to drafting and fact say Beane hasn't been very good at that outside of a few key guys like JA17. Maybe he gets better some day but the body of work in 5 full drafts from 2018-2022 tell me otherwise.

I mean this is easy... he drafts at the upper echelon of GMs when compared to his peers. You can't just look at the draft and go "But DK Metcalf went after, and he took Cody Ford instead" everyone else made that mistake. Seahawks passed on Metcalf twice.

The hit rate on finding an All-Pro caliber player is like 1 every 3 drafts if you're doing a good job. It just doesn't happen that often... he drafted arguably the best QB in football... which is pretty damn valuable. 

Given the money and resources, most posters on this board could go back years after a draft is completed and pick out the players a team SHOULD have taken. 

FWIW nobody has ever seen you post data or articles on here... you just jump on and start spewing doom about how Tua and the Dolphins are better than us. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

As I said, he's whiffed on draft picks at the position (like oline) vs FA signings.

At some point though you do have to draft quality players at various positions and not just rely on FA help or you aren't very good at your job. If Davis pans out it's a different story but still TBD whether or not he's more than just a #3 type of WR that can make big plays occassionally.

You remind me of some of my haters out there I personal know lol

Brandon Beane is a former AP General Manager of the Year, under whose tenure the Bills have made the playoffs three out of four seasons (soon to be four out of five), are the current AFC one seed, have the second best point differential in football, and are the current Super Bowl betting favorites.

But sure, he's a below average talent evaluator and not a very good GM overall. He just got lucky to get Josh Allen. He didn't, like, make a bunch of shrewd trades and draft day maneuvers to get into position to take a super raw guy that most of the analysts in the world thought was a giant bust waiting to happen. Didn't surround him with a stable environment, good coaching, good enough protection and good enough weaponry, and exercise the patience needed for him to reach his potential. It was just luck. 

Beane is below average. The Bills are the AFC 1 seed, have the second best point differential in the league, and are Super Bowl betting favorites IN SPITE of Beane.

Sure, Jan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

That's not the point... you're acting as if they're going out and having to fix mistakes in the draft by overpaying in FA.

It's just blatantly false... 7/10 were drafted and extended.

4/10 from Beane.

I'll say this, if he can navigate this team out of the salary cap nightmare they are in next year and still keep this team in the SB conversation in 2023 than maybe he really is a genius. Because that's what's going to need to happen to have any chance of signing quality FA's and not just relying on the draft for help.

This is essentially what KC did this year when they were supposed to be 'in transition' and a WC team at best needing to let guys like Hill and Matheiu go, but Veach's masterful drafting has kept them ahead of the curve especially with 2nd year studs like Bolton and Humprhey blossoming into all pro type players. This is what I keep hoping to see from Beane's picks only to be underwhelmed and disappointed.

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Again boils down to drafting and fact say Beane hasn't been very good at that outside of a few key guys like JA17.

Dumbass... nobody in the NFL is.

Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds, Taron Johnson, Ed Oliver, Devin Singletary, Dawson Knox, Gabriel Davis and Greg Rousseau is better than 25-28 other teams over the same span. Guaranteed.  

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

4/10 from Beane.

I'll say this, if he can navigate this team out of the salary cap nightmare they are in next year and still keep this team in the SB conversation in 2023 than maybe he really is a genius. Because that's what's going to need to happen to have any chance of signing quality FA's and not just relying on the draft for help.

This is essentially what KC did this year when they were supposed to be 'in transition' and a WC team at best needing to let guys like Hill and Matheiu go, but Veach's masterful drafting has kept them ahead of the curve especially with 2nd year studs like Bolton and Humprhey blossoming into all pro type players. This is what I keep hoping to see from Beane's picks only to be underwhelmed and disappointed.

Check out the Chiefs… 

2/10 top cap hits were drafted by Brett Veach. Patrick Mahomes and Juan Thornhill.

Everyone else Veach traded or signed in FA… why does he get a pass? 

Give Veach…  Mahomes, Bolton and Humphrey as “superstars” he has drafted. Who else? 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, JGMcD2 said:

Check out the Chiefs… 

2/10 top cap hits were drafted by Brett Veach. Patrick Mahomes and Juan Thornhill.

Everyone else Veach traded or signed in FA… why does he get a pass? 

Agree. Titan's released there gm.

Beane is a great GM. Filthy reminds me of my many haters around here. Never show any proof or facts. Get's emotional and goes crazy.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

You remind me of some of my haters out there I personal know lol

Not a hater my man, just a realist.

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Crush? Like Skyy Moore who they took in Round 2 this year? Who has 17 catches this year? Compared to Shakir who we took almost 100 picks later who has 8 catches? 

McDuffie looks like a stud, our first round pick is benched and has struggled for the most part. Many pundits also predicted this.

Karlaftis is coming along and looks like that lunch pail type of DE on the field whose going to get better and better.

Jaylen Watson looks like a 7th round steal and hasn't hit a wall like Benford after a promising start.

Leo Chanal has shown a lot more flashes than Bernard who has been a liability thus far on the field.

Pacheco is another 7th round pick that has outplayed our 2nd round pick RB so far and shows why never draft RB's before the 4th or 5th round.

Like I said not going to hit on every pick but you need to find you some studs and real contributors and Veach is a true 'Big balla' in that regard.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

McDuffie looks like a stud, our first round pick is benched and has struggled for the most part. Many pundits also predicted this.

Karlaftis is coming along and looks like that lunch pail type of DE on the field whose going to get better and better.

Jaylen Watson looks like a 7th round steal and hasn't hit a wall like Benford after a promising start.

Leo Chanal has shown a lot more flashes than Bernard who has been a liability thus far on the field.

Pacheco is another 7th round pick that has outplayed our 2nd round pick RB so far and shows why never draft RB's before the 4th or 5th round.

Like I said not going to hit on every pick but you need to find you some studs and real contributors and Veach is a true 'Big balla' in that regard.

You’re literally just putting your spin on random guys and making them out to be studs. Literally no context or comparison… you’re just saying it as if it’s fact. 

You’re hands down the worst poster on this board and it’s not even close. 

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Agree. Titan's released there gm.

Beane is a great GM. Filthy reminds me of my many haters around here. Never show any proof or facts. Get's emotional and goes crazy.

LOL only a few players that Beane actually drafted also got a second contract and some were questionable to begin with (i.e Taron Johnson).

Again I don't hate Beane. He's just an average GM hyped up because of the National Lampoons xmas pajamas bit and other social media shenanigans in orchard park.

Bring me a SB win and I'll slurp him harder than anyone else on this board though....

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

LOL only a few players that Beane actually drafted also got a second contract and some were questionable to begin with (i.e Taron Johnson).

Again I don't hate Beane. He's just an average GM hyped up because of the National Lampoons xmas pajamas bit and other social media shenanigans in orchard park.

Bring me a SB win and I'll slurp him harder than anyone else on this board though....

Average GM? Okay… who is better? 

Which Brett Veach picks have 2nd contracts? 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I've done it over and over and just get flamed for it. Would also like to see this deep dive data again since I'm not stubborn and close minded.

But like I said take away JA17 and the 2017 haul in White/Dawkins/Milano (because he wasn't here and it wasn't his draft), where are the superstars and good to great players he's drafted? (again not FA players).

I'm willing to give him Ed Oliver even though he's a late bloomer. Wyatt Teller counts even though he pretty much admitted he didn't think he was that type of player and why he was traded.

But when you look at the rest of this roster and the core players they are mostly FA signings and trades (Miller/Poyer/Hyde/Morse/etc). Most posters on this board could make those type of moves if given the money and resources of an NFL front office. Again boils down to drafting and fact say Beane hasn't been very good at that outside of a few key guys like JA17. Maybe he gets better some day but the body of work in 5 full drafts from 2018-2022 tell me otherwise.

Luckily for us, Josh Allen counts, and getting us the franchise QB of our dreams, means he is a great GM in my book.  

Regarding the free agent signings, he is the General Manager, not the Draft Manager. I don't care HOW he built this Championship roster, I care THAT he did it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Now talk about Tremon Smith, Khalil McKenzie, Darwin Thompson, Nick Alligretti, Michael Danna, and Thakarius Keyes.

I'll wait here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4/10 from Beane.

How about you f$#^&*g appreciate the kind and gentle education/proven rebuttal of your takes you're getting from some of your fellow bills fans on this site and just simply throw them a nod? Do you simply HAVE to be "right" against all odds and facts. A lot of people on message boards should give it a try! Like "hey man, you know what? I was off on that and you proved it. Thanks man! Happy Holidays. Go Bills!"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

Average GM? Okay… who is better? 

Which Brett Veach picks have 2nd contracts? 

Well I can tell you an obvious one, and the only one that matters but I'm sure you know who that is since he's best QB in the NFL and already led them to 2 SB's, a championship, 4 straight AFFCG at home (likely a 5th), etc.

RELAX.....we just need to get a SB win and then this type of petty criticism won't matter.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

Pacheco is another 7th round pick that has outplayed our 2nd round pick RB so far and shows why never draft RB's before the 4th or 5th round

Pacheco is also outplaying their 1st round RB. Tell Veach not to draft RB so high… 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.