Marquez Stevenson Released (update 12/10 - signed to Bills PS)

Dick_Cheney

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

So....................... He's "whiffed" on draft picks, and we have a SB contending roster, but because it isn't all from the draft then he's bad at his job? 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952luapurrhhl9jdgg2wal

You have to hit on draft picks consistently or you'll find yourself in a bad salary cap situation like this team coincidentally is next year because of all the big money FA contracts we've handed out to FA's to compensate for said bad drafts.

This is just the reality of the situation and why a team like KC is position so well for the near and long term because Veach continues to crush each draft and hit on both high and low draft picks.

No Beane is not terrible, but he's really just average even with striking gold on JA17 and the real reason this team is where they are now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 4

10 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If you are talking about competing with the likes of Diggs and Davis, then of course not.

But if this guy isn't good enough to beat out a guy like McKenzie for playing time or a roster spot then yes it was a waste. Also trying to figure out what happened to shakir after a promising start.

Either way WR is one of the weakest unit's overall on this team and if something happens to Diggs or Davis it would be pretty ugly.

I don’t disagree that if Diggs gets hurt, our WR room takes a huge hit.  I guess I had always looked at Stevenson as a flier, and when Shakir was drafted, we had already found an “upgrade” (not saying much).  So I’d already accepted that he was a 6th round miss.  

I’m still hopeful that Shakir can eventually develop a role in the offense, but he’s definitely not where I figured he’d be by this point in the season.  Whether Shakir and Davis show further signs of development or not, I do think the Bills need to find another WR weapon in next year’s draft.

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

No Beane is not terrible, but he's really just average even with striking gold on JA17 and the real reason this team is where they are now.

Go try and sell some of that s-h-i-t on the street and you might get shot.

Geez, man...even for you.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

People have got this so convoluted- He was not on the 53 - so this move does not preclude anything.

The Bills activated him from IR and today was the last day to decide to put him on IR or the Roster.  

If they wanted him on the Roster they would have needed to cut someone, since there were no additional injuries last week.

Therefore, the easiest thing to do is cut him and resign him to the PS if he makes it and then you can activate him if needed.  IR finished his season anyway - so there is no difference if he waived and claimed or IRd for this season.

The difference is he may make it to the PS in case of injury - or we lose him for nothing, but I think it is a chance they can take without worry because he is not roster worthy when this team is healthy.

Well that settles it, a non-contributing member of the Wr core has been released, clearly OBJ is on his way. 

What on earth anybody has seen from this kid to believe he was going to contribute this year (or ever) is beyond me.  I know Bills fans love their late round “gems”, but this guy runs fast in gym shorts, that’s it.   Maybe he can develop into something, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

5 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

You have to hit on draft picks consistently or you'll find yourself in a bad salary cap situation like this team coincidentally is next year because of all the big money FA contracts we've handed out to FA's to compensate for said bad drafts.

This is just the reality of the situation and why a team like KC is position so well for the near and long term because Veach continues to crush each draft and hit on both high and low draft picks.

There have been numerous posts/comparisons/deep dives/data that just don't match up with the bull#### you spew.

Show some facts and not opinions.

1 minute ago, eball said:

Go try and sell some of that s-h-i-t on the street and you might get shot.

Geez, man...even for you.

I'm grateful for what this regime has done but anything short of a SB win at this point and it's time to move on.

Should they accomplish that in the next few years (because they won't be here beyond that if they don't contrary to belief otherwise) I'll slurp me some of the good stuff like some other posters here choose to.

At the end of the day though we need focus on the bigger picture beyond a wasted 7th round WR draft pick. And getting back on topic it's puzzling he's now gone unless it's to make room for another certain player at that position.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

7/10 highest cap hits on the Bills as we speak today are players drafted by this regime. Allen, White, Edmunds, Dawkins, Oliver, Milano and Johnson. 

The 3 who weren't draft picks are Diggs, Morse and Poyer... 

What are you talking about?

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Tremon Smith and Khalil McKenzie are crucial to the Chiefs' playoff push this year. Darwin Thompson and Nick Alligretti are really killing it for them. Michael Danna and Thakarius Keyes are paramount to their success.

Oh wait, those are a bunch of nobodies. 

The hit rate from round 5 onward is awful for every team, including the Chiefs.

People have unrealistic expectations of what constitutes a good draft. Typically, if you can get 3-4 contributing players from each draft, you're doing great. Those that expect GMs to hit on every pick from round 1 to 7 every year simply don't know what they're looking at.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

People have got this so convoluted- He was not on the 53 - so this move does not preclude anything.

The Bills activated him from IR and today was the last day to decide to put him on IR or the Roster.  

If they wanted him on the Roster they would have needed to cut someone, since there were no additional injuries last week.

Therefore, the easiest thing to do is cut him and resign him to the PS if he makes it and then you can activate him if needed.  IR finished his season anyway - so there is no difference if he waived and claimed or IRd for this season.

The difference is he may make it to the PS in case of injury - or we lose him for nothing, but I think it is a chance they can take without worry because he is not roster worthy when this team is healthy.

The Bills put Miller on IR on 12/1.  I didn't see a corresponding move so I believe the Bills have 1 roster spot available.  I agree with your post above.

8 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm grateful for what this regime has done but anything short of a SB win at this point and it's time to move on.

Should they accomplish that in the next few years (because they won't be here beyond that if they don't contrary to belief otherwise) I'll slurp me some of the good stuff like some other posters here choose to.

At the end of the day though we need focus on the bigger picture beyond a wasted 7th round WR draft pick. And getting back on topic it's puzzling he's now gone unless it's to make room for another certain player at that position.

Do you promise?   😋

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

There have been numerous posts/comparisons/deep dives/data that just don't match up with the bull#### you spew.

Show some facts and not opinions.

I've done it over and over and just get flamed for it. Would also like to see this deep dive data again since I'm not stubborn and close minded.

But like I said take away JA17 and the 2017 haul in White/Dawkins/Milano (because he wasn't here and it wasn't his draft), where are the superstars and good to great players he's drafted? (again not FA players).

I'm willing to give him Ed Oliver even though he's a late bloomer. Wyatt Teller counts even though he pretty much admitted he didn't think he was that type of player and why he was traded.

But when you look at the rest of this roster and the core players they are mostly FA signings and trades (Miller/Poyer/Hyde/Morse/etc). Most posters on this board could make those type of moves if given the money and resources of an NFL front office. Again boils down to drafting and fact say Beane hasn't been very good at that outside of a few key guys like JA17. Maybe he gets better some day but the body of work in 5 full drafts from 2018-2022 tell me otherwise.

• Eyeroll 3
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

7/10 highest cap hits on the Bills as we speak today are players drafted by this regime. Allen, White, Edmunds, Dawkins, Oliver, Milano and Johnson. 

The 3 who weren't draft picks are Diggs, Morse and Poyer... 

What are you talking about?

Again Beane didn't draft White, Dawkins or Edmunds.

If you want to credit McD for that great but that's always been a very misleading claim validated by Doug Whaley who did draft them and did all the legwork.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.