I'm glad we have McDermott

Success

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm sure McDermott appreciated that, but there's no 'refuse to play also'. If one team isn't going to play there's nothing incumbent upon the other side.

I have no idea how this could have played out, but let's just say (hypothetically) that McDermott told the officials that the Bills would not come out to resume the game; BUT that Taylor - at the same time - said, "well my guys are ready to go and we DO want to resume play."

Wouldn't that automatically become a Bills forfeit?

By also telling officials that his team did not want to resume, Taylor effectively took the forfeit off the table (at that point in time).

• Agree 4

Just now, Gugny said:

I have no idea how this could have played out, but let's just say (hypothetically) that McDermott told the officials that the Bills would not come out to resume the game; BUT that Taylor - at the same time - said, "well my guys are ready to go and we DO want to resume play."

Wouldn't that automatically become a Bills forfeit?

By also telling officials that his team did not want to resume, Taylor effectively took the forfeit off the table (at that point in time).

I'm assuming yes, and for that he deserves credit but again- that's a PR nightmare. No coach would do that.

Taylor deserves credit for acting as anyone in that situation would have also done but personally I think his decision was pretty easy.

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

What would Bill Belichek have done?  I'm not sure there is a single coach who would not have done what those two did, but then there's Bill, who no one seems to have any idea what he's thinking.

Probably not being fair to Bill, but yes be thankful for both Coaches knowing what to do and not waiting for Godell to make the call.  If they stayed on the field, the crowd too may have reacted differently.

It crossed my mind which coaches may have put their team back on the field.  Not going to name any, because I don't know.  There are a couple that I wonder if they would have done what McD and Taylor did though.

As far as McD, I've def criticized him, but he is a class act.  A really good man.  I don't think I will be criticizing him so much anymore after this.  He's our coach.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I'm assuming yes, and for that he deserves credit but again- that's a PR nightmare. No coach would do that.

Taylor deserves credit for acting as anyone in that situation would have also done but personally I think his decision was pretty easy.

Totally agree.  And my gut tells me that Taylor didn't even entertain the idea of pushing for a Bills forfeit.  It would take a real a-hole to do that.

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Totally agree.  And my gut tells me that Taylor didn't even entertain the idea of pushing for a Bills forfeit.  It would take a real a-hole to do that.

When the league comes down and rules a Bills forfeit (which IMO is going to happen), I doubt that Taylor is going to stand up and say the Bengals want to take the loss also.

• Disagree 2

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

When the league comes down and rules a Bills forfeit (which IMO is going to happen), I doubt that Taylor is going to stand up and say the Bengals want to take the loss also.

If that's what the Bills decide (and I think they will), Taylor shouldn't stand up and go against what the Bills want to do.  This is up to the Bills.  Taylor accepting that would be a sign of respect for the Bills and Damar.  If that is the Bills wishes, Taylor will accept that.  That's the proper way to handle that scenario imo.

Just now, phypon said:

If that's what the Bills decide (and I think they will), Taylor shouldn't stand up and go against what the Bills want to do.  This is up to the Bills.  Taylor accepting that would be a sign of respect for the Bills and Damar.  If that is the Bills wishes, Taylor will accept that.  That's the proper way to handle that scenario imo.

That's my point. It's been up to the Bills all along. I can't really give Taylor credit for what is essentially an empty gesture.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 1

On 12/6/2022 at 10:17 AM, ddaryl said:

I'll stay on the luke warm side

I'm still bitter about losses to the Jets and Miami while not controlling our playoff destiny the ENTIRE season. When you have the talent the Bills have you should expect that, and yet we lost 2 critical games against AFC East opponents. Last years 13 second debacle has not been forgotten either.

NOW if we dominate the rest of the year and continue to show that through the playoffs then we can let by gones be by gones. BUT if the Bils fail to dominate and fail in the playoffs you can bet the farm McDermott and even Beanes leash just got tighter from many fans perspective.

The first Miami game was a fluke loss. It was hot and humid with no shade on the Bills side. A few bad passes by Josh adds up to a Bills loss.

45 minutes ago, phypon said:

It crossed my mind which coaches may have put their team back on the field.  Not going to name any, because I don't know.  There are a couple that I wonder if they would have done what McD and Taylor did though.

As far as McD, I've def criticized him, but he is a class act.  A really good man.  I don't think I will be criticizing him so much anymore after this.  He's our coach.

No one questions that, not even I.  Had no doubt he'd do the right thing in this case.

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That's my point. It's been up to the Bills all along. I can't really give Taylor credit for what is essentially an empty gesture.

Was it also an empty gesture that he personally went to the UC hospital after the game last night as a sign of support for Damar?!?!

IMHO - he could have handled the situation much differently and the rules may have allowed him to even do so.  My take is that his actions earned him great respect from the Bill's nation, but frankly his own players as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Of course he won't.

This is why I specified, "at that point in time," in my post.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Was it also an empty gesture that he personally went to the UC hospital after the game last night as a sign of support for Damar?!?!

IMHO - he could have handled the situation much differently and the rules may have allowed him to even do so.  My take is that his actions earned him great respect from the Bill's nation, but frankly his own players as well.

I already acknowledged that imo Taylor acted appropriately. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

unlikely the owner would allow him to make that decision anyway

• Agree 1

By all accounts McDermott is a very good guy and a solid coach. I don't think he's a great coach, and he's given us plenty of examples why on Sundays. I'm not sure if that's critical to being able to win a championship at some point in the future, but it may have cost us one or two cracks at it already.

Having a coach like McD will always ensure you're in a place to compete and that's not a bad spot to be. It's fair to wonder though if he has what it takes to close, or if we'll just be an annual 12 win team that never wins it all.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

By all accounts McDermott is a very good guy and a solid coach. I don't think he's a great coach, and he's given us plenty of examples why on Sundays. I'm not sure if that's critical to being able to win a championship at some point in the future, but it may have cost us one or two cracks at it already.

Having a coach like McD will always ensure you're in a place to compete and that's not a bad spot to be. It's fair to wonder though if he has what it takes to close, or if we'll just be an annual 12 win team that never wins it all.

McD is a leader of men and i hope we have him forever. I also hope he is self-aware and does his best to hire guys who can compensate where he falls short. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Keep in mind...I dare say that not many of the cincy players were prepared to play either. It was a Bill in the ambulance,but there are other injuries that we don't see. Like pyscological. Neither team returned. So its either both forfeit,or you replay it,or the game is just simply cancelled imo

Just now, BuffAlone said:

Keep in mind...I dare say that not many of the cincy players were prepared to play either. It was a Bill in the ambulance,but there are other injuries that we don't see. Like pyscological. Neither team returned. So its either both forfeit,or you replay it,or the game is just simply cancelled imo

I mean Burrow was out there throwing

59 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

High character guys will use this tragedy as motivation. I pity the Bengals if we play them again.

Why? That makes zero sense...it was a freak accident on a routine play, not dirty play, a routine play. You really think the Bills players are like "By golly, if we play them Bengals again, they are gonna get it?". The Bengals organization has been top-notch about this, as has been their fans and the community of Cincinnati. I highly doubt the Bills players and staff harbor any ill-will towards the Bengals.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.