I'm glad we have McDermott

Success

7 minutes ago, teef said:

what exactly do you hate about "culture"?  you don't like a winning culture?

and honestly...whether you start a thread or add to it, it turns to this nonsense.  every time.  i'm not here to tell you what to do or what to post.  just don't call people out on their inability to handle negativity when interacting with you.  it's not the negativity.  it's the inability to have a normal discussion.  

I hated how they used it to describe McD.  Every coach should be implementing culture and strong work environment.

And know when I get into something it's almost always with the pro McD crowd.

As said take a look at the thread's I started.  Most are pretty damn tame, and not terribly negative.

Fine I'm out.

56 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I know Oldmanfan will go back to the 300 yard comments (which I still am gobsmacked that McD did not have a 300 yard passing game the first first three years as coach) and the fact the Bills were a hard team to watch and right at the bottom offensively those three years. 

It’s hard to figure who you are blaming here. McDermott for not coaching a 300 yard game, Beane for not providing the talent to do it, the QB for not being good enough to do it, or the WRs not being good enough to catch with enough yards?

10 minutes ago, todd said:

It’s hard to figure who you are blaming here. McDermott for not coaching a 300 yard game, Beane for not providing the talent to do it, the QB for not being good enough to do it, or the WRs not being good enough to catch with enough yards?

Simply put no other team in the NFL went beyond one year not throwing for 300 yards. The Bills (MdcD coached)managed to do that for three straight years.

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Simply put no other team in the NFL went beyond one year not throwing for 300 yards. The Bills (MdcD coached)managed to do that for three straight years.

So you are saying it is McDermott’s fault? 

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And just like back then it wasnt a big deal, it still isnt a big deal today.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, teef said:

Again, it’s not your opinion on mcd.  It’s who you are.  You can hide behind the idea that this place can’t handle criticism.  It’s the calling card of terrible posters.  If you weren’t so petty about things, maybe people would be more receptive to your posts.  Sound reasonable?   You’re not a martyr in any way.  

Imagine being so arrogant where everyone who disagrees with you, you think they have flawed reasoning and can’t think critically.  Everyone who disagrees with him is a McDermott apologist and that’s the only reason they disagree.  

Never at any point does he think his reasoning is flawed, its us…always us.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Stop evading his question.  Whose fault was it?  

Yes McD's fault.  Look at the list of qb's 2017-19 who were able to do it and are scrubs.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Imagine being so arrogant where everyone who disagrees with you, you think they have flawed reasoning and can’t think critically.  Everyone who disagrees with him is a McDermott apologist and that’s the only reason they disagree.  

Never at any point does he think his reasoning is flawed, its us…always us.

No it is 8-10 of you,but you are a loud mob.  And yes I fall for it and respond.

• Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, teef said:

i'm not sure why it's even important.  you don't have to be the most dominant team or the best team to win the super bowl.  everything had to go just right at the right time, as the 2007 pats learned. 

the bold part is the most unproven part of the McDermott regime. He has not demonstrated the ability to " everything had to go just right at the right time" Maybe it is all just luck.  But for about 20 years, the AFC super bowl participating QB was Tom Brady , Peyton Manning or Ben Rothlisberger.  (brief rich gannon, joe flacco interludes).  Each of the big three has won super bowls with more than one coach.  In the current era, having Josh Allen for 10 years and not winning or even participating in a Super Bowl would be an epic failure and tragic. This is year 6.  Bills winning the Super Bowl, and McDermott coaches the Bills until he wants to retire in all likelyhood.   A failure to make the super bowl this year and being the Bills or Bengals supplicants, would be another chapter in a sad story.  Or maybe Josh Allen isn't one of the best two QBs in football. 

Edited by Chaos

On 12/6/2022 at 12:13 PM, Success said:

That's it. I'm not even sure this is worth a thread, but after watching coaching all season, and particularly this past weekend and last night - it's pretty clear we have a good one in McD.  ALL coaches make mistakes and have moments you can point to that are sub-par, but on balance, this coaching staff is well-prepared, gameplans well & makes good adjustments.  

Around the rest of the league, the coaching is just bad.  There are obviously some good ones, but it's a pretty small group.  I'd put McDermott in the top 5 right now.

Yes, McDermott has been a big part of changing the Bill's culture and adding the stability and continuity that is needed for any sustained success. Brandon Beane and his management team are a big part too. 

You are correct in saying that all coaches make mistakes. Many people believe that Bill Belichick is the best coach ever. Think back in the Super Bowl that they won over Seattle. The Pats* won that game by pure luck and BB coached as if he didn't want another Lombardi Trophy. In the waning seconds (quite a few actually) Seattle had a first down really close to NE's goal line. They had Beast Mode who had been running all day over the Pats*  and couldn't be stopped. Of course Seattle threw the interception that gave NE the victory. What most people don't realize is that BB failed to call any timeouts to save the Pats* a little time after Seattle scored their almost certain go ahead touchdown. It was a giant mistake by Belichick that was ignored because (I assume) Pete Carroll made an even stupider call to throw a pass into the end zone. In all fairness that Lombardi Trophy shouldn't have been awarded to anybody. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Chaos said:

the bold part is the most unproven part of the McDermott regime. He has not demonstrated the ability to " everything had to go just right at the right time" Maybe it is all just luck.  But for about 20 years, the AFC super bowl participating QB was Tom Brady , Peyton Manning or Ben Rothlisberger.  (brief rich gannon, joe flacco interludes).  Each of the big three has won super bowls with more than one coach.  In the current era, having Josh Allen for 10 years and not winning or even participating in a Super Bowl would be an epic failure and tragic. This is year 6.  Bills winning the Super Bowl, and McDermott coaches the Bills until he wants to retire in all likelyhood.   A failure to make the super bowl this year and being the Bills or Bengals supplicants, would be another chapter in a sad story.  Or maybe Josh Allen isn't one of the best two QBs in football. 

Josh wins and loses games for Us
I still abide by the Team Game mantra

McD has built a strong Team
But he has to "finish"
Go Bills

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes McD's fault.  Look at the list of qb's 2017-19 who were able to do it and are scrubs.

So I guess following that logic, the awesome games passing in 2020, 2021, and this year we’re to McDermott’s credit. Furthermore, if his first years were that horrible, the trajectory he’s on is one of the best in the nfl. Great coaching. Irrefutable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

OMG, I opened this thread and thought the OP's post was worth responding to. My response of course went to the last page (#13). I'm not going to read through it all mainly because of the stupid comments I've seen here on the last page. People bashing McDermott for not having a 300 yard passer in his first 3 years either have no knowledge of what was going on with the Bills during those years or are ignorant of what it takes to win a game.

McDermott arrived and had a QB who was at best a game manager. The Bills squeaked by with just enough wins and with a little luck made the playoffs. If I remember correctly prior to that year they had the longest playoff drought in the league. McDermott and the Bills ended that dubious distinction and stopped every NFL announcer and prognosticator from talking about that streak whenever mentioning the Bills. The next year McDermott and Beane dumped highly drafted players that made their salary cap unmanageable and players they didn't want to build their team around. That year they had a losing record but the management and head coach made the tough long term decision to change the team's culture and work towards long term success. They also drafted a QB that had a tremendously high ceiling along with all of the intangibles that they wanted for their franchise QB. Josh Allen hadn't played for any bigtime colleges and he was considered very raw. No other team in the NFL that was looking for a QB considered drafting him early on. Josh was thrown into action sooner than the plan due to injury and had to develop his raw talent and all of the mental aspects of a pro QB on the job. The goal was not to turn him into a prolific passer right away but to develop him as a franchise QB. Posters and fans that didn't know jack about football complained that he wasn't throwing for 300 yards. Allen's efforts have all been about winning games and if it takes throwing for 400 yards he'll do it. If it takes his team running 40 times then that's what he'll do. He also is a fearless runner himself and has shown time after time that he'll put his body on the line to make a needed play. 

To all of you who are making a big deal about statistics other than the final score I have a suggestion for you. Go get a book called Football 101 and learn the intricacies of the game. If you don't want to do that, I'll give you the Readers Digest version: The team that has more points at the end of the game wins.

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No it is 8-10 of you,but you are a loud mob.  And yes I fall for it and respond.

Boy, that number keeps growing!  You've told me in the past 2-3, then 5-6 and now 8-10!  

There's also the reactions....this is your last thread you created lol.  It's not uncommon.

image.thumb.png.8a803582df883f2ac6a121a4d7445276.png

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Haha (+1) 1

He's one of the best in the league and everybody knows it but a small group of desperate Bills fans.

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

Yeah, that's right. He hasn't won a Super Bowl.

Neither had Andy Reid, until he did.

Neither had Bill Belichick, until he did.

I could go on and on and on.

He is a terrific coach. He still has something to prove, as does nearly everyone. Look at Belichick now. Many think he's getting close to being on the hot seat.

12 hours ago, Chaos said:

In the current era, having Josh Allen for 10 years and not winning or even participating in a Super Bowl would be an epic failure and tragic. This is year 6.

I think you miscounted. Josh was drafted in 2018 and was a major project his rookie year.

46 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I think you miscounted. Josh was drafted in 2018 and was a major project his rookie year.

Keep repeating that line over & over.  Never get's old.  

Here's others to look at.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2022/2/11/22922096/super-bowl-history-quarterbacks-second-year-joe-burrow-bengals-vs-rams

https://www.ranker.com/list/youngest-quarterbacks-super-bowl-history/pedro-cerrano

Josh is 26.....  That would make him 18th on the list if they make it this year.  

I think it's time.....😝

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.