I'm glad we have McDermott

Success

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I dont blame the kickoff on him because the evidence says he called the squib kick and ST CO screwed that up.

That ultimately lies with the coach.  Sorry never heard that confirmed and if ever a time for everyone to be on the same page it was with 13 seconds to go in the playoffs vs. Mahomes.

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And if the Bills lose on Sunday, regardless of the situation, anyone posting negative here will be an IDIOT?

I will say right now barring an Allen injury, absolutely no excuse to lose Sunday vs. NYJ.

If they allow them again to have time consuming drives and convert third downs I'll be very upset.  

If they don't play with a chip on their shoulders the next two weeks (against the teams that beat them earlier this year) I'll be pissed.

If they let them hang around and it is a tooth & nail affair I'll be concerned.

I expect none of that, but if there are issues on the OL and more drops (i.e. 3-5 again) then I may start a thread.😝 

Nope.  That is again is another dramatic post.  

image.png.2272a1ceb89e2ca8075479689b5fc15c.png

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes they do and these are always all hindsight.  

If you want to be comfortable with this coaching staffs failures then that’s your right. If he costs us another shot at home field advantage, or a playoff game, or a SB. He should be fired. 

we always want to preach you have to learn from mistakes. Yet he’s constantly making ones that he’s previously made in the past. Like the Allen sneak on your own 1 with the game on the line. Similar to Tennessee last year, no? Funny it didn’t work either time. And yet he didn’t learn from it the first time. 

I like McD. I think he’s a good coach and even better at creating a family environment. Someone that these guys want to play for. Want to battle for. But his game day decisions with the game on the line are questionable. 

to quote the Godfather like the 100th time.
-he’s not a wartime consigliere 

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

That ultimately lies with the coach.  Sorry never heard that confirmed and if ever a time for everyone to be on the same page it was with 13 seconds to go in the playoffs vs. Mahomes.

Ok so go live in your fantasy where everything good is just Josh Allen and everything bad is all McDermott.  Im done with the conversation.  This is like the Whaley nuts conversation where every good draft pick and FA pickup was all Whaley but everything bad was someone else.

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And if the Bills lose on Sunday, regardless of the situation, anyone posting negative here will be an IDIOT?

I will say right now barring an Allen injury, absolutely no excuse to lose Sunday vs. NYJ.

If they allow them again to have time consuming drives and convert third downs I'll be very upset.  

If they don't play with a chip on their shoulders the next two weeks (against the teams that beat them earlier this year) I'll be pissed.

If they let them hang around and it is a tooth & nail affair I'll be concerned.

I expect none of that, but if there are issues on the OL and more drops (i.e. 3-5 again) then I may start a thread.😝 

I have no issues with negative and constructive criticism when the Bills don't execute. Unfortunately, it's not well received here. 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

If you want to be comfortable with this coaching staffs failures then that’s your right. If he costs us another shot at home field advantage, or a playoff game, or a SB. He should be fired. 

we always want to preach you have to learn from mistakes. Yet he’s constantly making ones that he’s previously made in the past. Like the Allen sneak on your own 1 with the game on the line. Similar to Tennessee last year, no? Funny it didn’t work either time. And yet he didn’t learn from it the first time. 

I like McD. I think he’s a good coach and even better at creating a family environment. Someone that these guys want to play for. Want to battle for. But his game day decisions with the game on the line are questionable. 

to quote the Godfather like the 100th time.
-he’s not a wartime consigliere 

No it's not similar.  Not sure if you remember but the QB sneak against the Titans was on the Titans 1 yard line.  Allen gets in, we win.  

You're basically saying QB sneak with Allen isn't a smart idea.  Allen converting a QB sneak is likely or unlikely to be successful?

You're blaming McDermott when Allen and Morse couldn't complete a very basic QB/Center exchange?  All we have to do is complete the exchange, move forward a foot or two just to give you enough room to get into Victory Formation.  That is not on McDermott.

It took Andy Reid 23 years to win a Super Bowl.  He lost 4 straight Conference Championship games with the Eagles...one of them they blew it on a 4th and 24.  

His game day decisions and time management were always criticized.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

You say Potato, I say Potatoe.  Rex took over a great D, made it worse and improved the O.  McD turned it around again and had no idea what to do with the O and they were terrible for the first two years and particularly point differential. 

He had Tyrod Taylor and a rookie Josh Allen those first two years, but still managed to break the playoff drought with Taylor as his QB. You think that was bad coaching? Those first two years were absolutely critical in establishing a winning culture for the Bills and I'd say McD and co. hit it out of the park.

And please don't come back with a "Andy Dalton got the Bills into the playoffs" line. Been there, done that.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No it's not similar.  Not sure if you remember but the QB sneak against the Titans was on the Titans 1 yard line.  Allen gets in, we win.  

You're basically saying QB sneak with Allen isn't a smart idea.  Allen converting a QB sneak is likely or unlikely to be successful?

You're blaming McDermott when Allen and Morse couldn't complete a very basic QB/Center exchange?  All we have to do is complete the exchange, move forward a foot or two just to give you enough room to get into Victory Formation.  That is not on McDermott.

It took Andy Reid 23 years to win a Super Bowl.  He lost 4 straight Conference Championship games with the Eagles...one of them they blew it on a 4th and 24.  

Yes he made many so so decisions no doubt (and that includes last year's AFC Championship game).

But he made the one important decision, naming Mahomes the starter in 2018.  

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again regardless the OL was noticeably bad vs. NE and yes I acknowledged much was Quessenberry.  And I can say the same about you, it doesn't matter, you've made up your mind.    

It was pretty much all Quessenberry on one leg.  We controlled the ball almost the entire game.  We were perfect in the redzone. 

We were excellent on 3rd down.

But our offensive didn't play well because you didn't like our total yards and Allen was sacked twice.  Cherry picking....

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes he made many so so decisions no doubt (and that includes last year's AFC Championship game).

But he made the one important decision, naming Mahomes the starter in 2018.  

Who named Allen starter?

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The situations are 100% similar. A year ago you learned that many things can happen with a sneak up the middle. Like your Center can Botch the snap, the QB can botch the snap. Your Center can be blown up by a DT. Your “pro bowl” LT can be destroyed on the play. And your QB can slip and go down immediately. 

and here we are a year later, with the game on the line, just like last year. And he didn’t learn from that blunder. 

you know what would have worked better? Josh in shotgun with some room to play around. Send out your stud WR in Diggs as well as your other not so sure handed Davis, Knox, and McKenzie. If any of the 4 of them get open, you throw the ball. If they don’t, you run around and buy time long enough to throw the ball out of play. Rinse, repeat 2 more times. Kill some clock. And worst case, on 4th down, do it again, but this time take a safety instead of throwing it away. Then punt to the Vikings with less than 20 seconds on the clock. And hope your star studded defense that you have built with pretty much all of your early round draft picks over the last 4+ years, as well as just about every free agent acquisitions can actually do their jobs and stop them. 

but he would probably do that, get that far, and then play prevent defense and let the Vikings score anyway. 

id much rather give Allen, your face of the franchise, your pro bowl, MVP candidate, 3+ shots to find an open WR than hope everything goes 100% right in the situation that he went with. 

again, you want to be ok with our coaches failures, that’s fine. I don’t have to agree. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It was pretty much all Quessenberry on one leg.  We controlled the ball almost the entire game.  We were perfect in the redzone. 

We were excellent on 3rd down.

But our offensive didn't play well because you didn't like our total yards and Allen was sacked twice.  Cherry picking....

Who named Allen starter?

Oh you mean the #7 pick, who actually was not the starter that season it was Peterman (except game one again he did Paterman things and they gave up after one half)....  Too easy.  And yes Alex Smith vs. Peterman is too a fair comparison.   

Edited by Billsfan1972

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

The situations are 100% similar. A year ago you learned that many things can happen with a sneak up the middle. Like your Center can Botch the snap, the QB can botch the snap. Your Center can be blown up by a DT. Your “pro bowl” LT can be destroyed on the play. And your QB can slip and go down immediately. 

and here we are a year later, with the game on the line, just like last year. And he didn’t learn from that blunder. 

you know what would have worked better? Josh in shotgun with some room to play around. Send out your stud WR in Diggs as well as your other not so sure handed Davis, Knox, and McKenzie. If any of the 4 of them get open, you throw the ball. If they don’t, you run around and buy time long enough to throw the ball out of play. Rinse, repeat 2 more times. Kill some clock. And worst case, on 4th down, do it again, but this time take a safety instead of throwing it away. Then punt to the Vikings with less than 20 seconds on the clock. And hope your star studded defense that you have built with pretty much all of your early round draft picks over the last 4+ years, as well as just about every free agent acquisitions can actually do their jobs and stop them. 

but he would probably do that, get that far, and then play prevent defense and let the Vikings score anyway. 

id much rather give Allen, your face of the franchise, your pro bowl, MVP candidate, 3+ shots to find an open WR than hope everything goes 100% right in the situation that he went with. 

again, you want to be ok with our coaches failures, that’s fine. I don’t have to agree. 

Okay.  So basically we should never use Josh Allen on a QB sneak again....even though he has like a 95% successful conversion rate.

I can't believe you're saying this.  "Never QB sneak Allen from the 1!".

Yes, lets have our franchise QB running around the endzone looking to throw the ball.  Allen was a pick machine for a few games and you want to throw it from our own endzone.  You're entire "What would have worked better" wouldn't have worked better lol.  You are more likely to throw an INT or fumble than you are to have a bad QB/C exchange.  

Again, if you're going to be ridiculous

The nice thing is our QB, owner and GM agree, and think of McD as a great leader, mentor, program manager and one of the best coaches in the league. Who the F cares what 5 or 6 trolls/dumb dumbs think about him?

Mike Tomlin (and prior, Bill Cowher) had literally an army of haters on the internet. Clearly, both are/were incredible head coaches...

If you come here for information about team developments, this is a great place

If you come for education/accurate hunches and opinions on the Bills or football in general, do your research in what posters to read that qualify for that. Its a wee fraction of the community as a whole (that's the nature of an open forum).

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Okay.  So basically we should never use Josh Allen on a QB sneak again....even though he has like a 95% successful conversion rate.

I can't believe you're saying this.  "Never QB sneak Allen from the 1!".

Yes, lets have our franchise QB running around the endzone looking to throw the ball.  Allen was a pick machine for a few games and you want to throw it from our own endzone.  You're entire "What would have worked better" wouldn't have worked better lol.  You are more likely to throw an INT or fumble than you are to have a bad QB/C exchange.  

Again, if you're going to be ridiculous

I never said no more sneaks. I said with the game on the line. Backed up into your own 1. Or on a 4th down when you have a mobile QB that can clearly make plays on his feet. His better option every single time is to not call a designed run. You let Allen be Allen. Find the open guy, or run it himself if he finds a lane. 

you’re funny dude. Keep making excuses for bad coaching decisions. 

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Oh no, a true rookie project wasn't named starter in his rookie year?  Neither was Mahomes.

No it is about Alex Smith (who made the Pro Bowl the prior and that year) on a playoff team, vs. Peterman already a proven disaster on a rebuilding team that was at the bottom of the league in offense. 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

I never said no more sneaks. I said with the game on the line. Backed up into your own 1. Or on a 4th down when you have a mobile QB that can clearly make plays on his feet. His better option every single time is to not call a designed run. You let Allen be Allen. Find the open guy, or run it himself if he finds a lane. 

you’re funny dude. Keep making excuses for bad coaching decisions. 

Well you said we shouldn't have QB sneaked against the Vikings because the year before against the Titans, we were unsuccessful.

So if we are in the same situation, ball at the 1 to sneak it in to win the game with it on the line...you throw out the sneak?  He can clearly make plays with his feet but he clearly also QB sneak it.  If you're looking purely at probability, the 4th and 1 QB sneak is his most successful play.  Nah...get rid of it!  99% isn't good enough.

Lets call a play in which he's roughly 60% successful at.  You're funny dude.

Alaina Getzenberg

@agetzenberg

Josh Allen had rushed for 1st downs on 13-14 tries on 4th-and-1 in his career before last night, per

@ESPNStatsInfo

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.