I'm glad we have McDermott

Success

That's it. I'm not even sure this is worth a thread, but after watching coaching all season, and particularly this past weekend and last night - it's pretty clear we have a good one in McD.  ALL coaches make mistakes and have moments you can point to that are sub-par, but on balance, this coaching staff is well-prepared, gameplans well & makes good adjustments.  

Around the rest of the league, the coaching is just bad.  There are obviously some good ones, but it's a pretty small group.  I'd put McDermott in the top 5 right now.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Vomit 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 36
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

There is overly harsh criticism of the coaching staff which will persist until a Lombardi as at OBD.  People who call for a change are just nuts.  This guy has the temperament and leadership to completely turn a franchise around.  In game management has gotten better over time, he works to continually improve, it is just a great time to be a fan of this team and he is one of the key 2-3 people why.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 10
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Success said:

That's it. I'm not even sure this is worth a thread, but after watching coaching all season, and particularly this past weekend and last night - it's pretty clear we have a good one in McD.  ALL coaches make mistakes and have moments you can point to that are sub-par, but on balance, this coaching staff is well-prepared, gameplans well & makes good adjustments.  

Around the rest of the league, the coaching is just bad.  There are obviously some good ones, but it's a pretty small group.  I'd put McDermott in the top 5 right now.

I would add Beane as well. We have a strong management team in place. We will need it because the AFCE is turning into one strong division.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I was PISSED at the coaching staff after the Minnesota game. (And still rightfully so, I assert).

However, they’ve been quite good this year overall - ESPECIALLY when you step back and look at the quality of our competition so far and all the injuries we’ve had to deal with.

• Like (+1) 4

42 minutes ago, Success said:

Stay out of the shout box on game days then.  At least 5+ people screaming for all the coaches and Beane to be fired first quarter if we aren’t winning the game yet.  

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We haven’t been Super Bowl contenders in a long time until McDermott got here.

The mindset of “Every game we win it’s because of Josh Allen and the every game we lose is because of McDermott” is annoying.

Annoying and inaccurate. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This is a fantastic message board and it’s my go to place for all my Bills breaking news. Some of the regular posters here have as good of a perspective on the Bills as many of the media types that do it for a living.

That being said, this place turns into a suicide cult after every loss and there are a fair number of trolls who come here to stir the pot.

I’m not sure how any long term Bills fan can look at the totality of what McDermott has done for this franchise and not be incredibly grateful that he is our coach.

Does he deserve criticism for bad moves? Absolutely.  Should he be immune to accountability?  Absolutely not.  But, anyone on this board saying he’s a bad coach or we should move on from him is either a fool or a troll.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 11
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 7

20 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I was PISSED at the coaching staff after the Minnesota game. (And still rightfully so, I assert).

Yea damn Frazier and McDermott failing to execute the most fundamental part of football - the snap!

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

This is a fantastic message board and it’s my go to place for all my Bills breaking news. Some of the regular posters here have as good of a perspective on the Bills as many of the media types that do it for a living.

That being said, this place turns into a suicide cult after every lose and there are a fair number of trolls who come here to stir the pot.

I’m not sure how any long term Bills fan can look at the totality of what McDermott has done for this franchise and not be incredibly grateful that he is our coach.

Does he deserve criticism for bad moves? Absolutely.  Should he be immune to criticism?  Absolutely not.  But, anyone on this board saying he’s a bad coach or we should move on from him is either a fool or a troll.

I don't give the awesome reaction often. This got an awesome. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We haven’t been Super Bowl contenders in a long time until McDermott got here.

The mindset of “Every game we win it’s because of Josh Allen and the every game we lose is because of McDermott” is annoying.

Exactly.  Everybody knows that every game we lose is because of Edmunds.

• Haha (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Process said:

McDermott is a great coach. I hope he's here for a long time.

With that said, the defense he runs and his general philosophy is the reason we've had to continuously invest into the D at the expense of the O. And that has to change.

I guess, but don't we have top-5 units on both sides of the ball for 2 years running now?  (Probably STs too, but I'm too lazy to find metrics on that).  We had the no. 2 offense in the NFL in 2020 and our defense was more middle of the pack (10-15), so it made sense to invest in the D for the past couple of draft cycles.  We still have the no. 2 offense in the league this year which you'd never know by reading all the b'ing on this board about our porous o-line, lack of outside WR weapons and slow "dime a dozen" running backs.  

McDermott is doing a HELL OF A JOB by almost any measure.  Once he makes and wins a SB, which I believe he will, he'll be on the fast track for the HOF along with Allen and Diggs.

• Like (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, Success said:

He’s been the best coach this franchise has had since Marv and Wade. And yet there are some on this board that want him gone lol. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I've been a little critical of the coaching staff during this mid-season slump. But I consider it constructive and I'm glad we have this staff. McDermott clearly self-evaluates and keeps the team evolving during and between seasons.

This is the best Bills team in 30 years, and currently one of the best 3 or 4 teams in the league.

I'll stay on the luke warm side

I'm still bitter about losses to the Jets and Miami while not controlling our playoff destiny the ENTIRE season. When you have the talent the Bills have you should expect that, and yet we lost 2 critical games against AFC East opponents. Last years 13 second debacle has not been forgotten either.

NOW if we dominate the rest of the year and continue to show that through the playoffs then we can let by gones be by gones. BUT if the Bils fail to dominate and fail in the playoffs you can bet the farm McDermott and even Beanes leash just got tighter from many fans perspective.

• Eyeroll 3
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

Thank you ! The morons on here that call for his & Beanes head every time there is a bad moment like when they lost those 3 games is ridiculous  how soon they forget ! 

They also forget that in the grand scheme of things McD is still a very young HC & is going to make mistakes ! You don't think his mentor Andy Reid has made some along the way all of them do !

A lot of Bills Mafia members have memories as long as their male members especially those that call for his head every time something goes not according to plan . I hope McD & Beane are allowed to retire as Buffalo Bills members with a couple of SB rings to show all of the Mafia members that called for their heads just how wrong they were .

But of course by then they will be singing their praises because that's what they do !! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.