Titans fire GM Jon Robinson

YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

I'm not sure anything was worse than the Wilson trade, at least the Titans got a first. Denver lost a ton of money as well as a lot of games

And cap space, and NFL players, and draft picks.  Way worse than the AJ Brown trade which was bad too.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

There's nothing worse than the Russell Wilson trade. It could go down as one of the worst in NFL history.

IMO, that trade's problem is Nathaniel Hackett. He has no business being a HC in the NFL. Think Doug Pederson would've had team in the playoff chase. I'd even give Jeff Saturday a better chance

• Agree 1

I think Treylon Burks is going to end up being a good receiver.

The problem is that the Titans' championship window is open RIGHT NOW. 

They were the AFC 1 Seed last year, they have an aging superstar RB, an aging QB, a good defense, a good coaching staff, a weak division...

They're an AJ Brown away from being title contenders this season. That's the issue. Treylon Burks becoming what they need him to be next season or the season after doesn't undo the wasting of a Super Bowl window season that trading away AJ Brown did.

On the other hand, I'm sure Robinson's firing is about more than that. I'd bet we hear more in the days to come. Maybe misconduct or some other kind of allegations of impropriety. There's got to be more to this than simply "the owner was mad that he traded away a good player!".

The timing of the firing says to me that the team is trying to get ahead of something. Just what that is remains to be seen.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, MJS said:

There's nothing worse than the Russell Wilson trade. It could go down as one of the worst in NFL history.

It’s up there with the Walker and Williams trades. We’ll see what happens if they swap out Hackett going forward, but it’s just bad. Seahawks are clearly laughing to the podium in April. 

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He loathed recruiting 

Cuts into is lifting time.

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

What's the back story on this firing?  Usually there are several transgressions that culminate in an NFL GM getting fired, especially from a reasonably successful team.

Tannehill contract and trading a top 5 WR in their prime.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Wow. I think that is a shock. The only team in the NFL with a longer unbroken run of winning seasons than the Titans is the Chiefs and they have done it with Marcus Mariota and Ryan Tannehill at QB. 

I think Robinson has built that roster well for the most part. Now the AJ Brown trade was a mistake. I am a bit of an AJ Brown lover in fairness. I have banged the drum for AJ > DK since they came out of Ole Miss together. But that trade looked a bad one the minute it was made and while I am more optimistic than some about the long-term prognosis for Treylon Burks (and he had really come on the past couple of weeks before leaving the Philly game hurt) expecting him to be an AJ replacement off the bat was an error. 

Does feel like ultimately Vrabel, who was against the trade, lost faith in the GM and has won the power struggle. But there are a lot of bad teams out there who could do worse than hire Jon Robinson as GM. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Titans are a weird team. Robinson has made a lot of poor decisions with trades, the draft, free agency, etc. but the team has been consistently successful in spite of that and in spite of not really being the most talented team.

Still, this feels very odd. Maybe just wanted a new guy to have more time to prepare for the draft? I don't know.

• Like (+1) 1

The Titans haven't had a losing season under Robinson and have 4 playoff appearances with 3 playoff wins. That's pretty impressive with Tannehill and Mariota at QB

The problem might be with first rd draft picks:

Year Pick Player name Position

2016 8 Jack Conklin T

2017 5 Corey Davis WR

2017 18 Adoree' Jackson DB

2018 22 Rashaan Evans LB

2019 19 Jeffery Simmons DT

2020 29 Isaiah Wilson T

2021 22 Caleb Farley CB

2022 18 Treylon Burks WR

Simmons is the only good pick there. Maybe Burks will turn out. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.