Titans fire GM Jon Robinson

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

For Treylon Burks!! Think they'd want to rewind that move? Not like it was a Diggs/Jefferson situation

While he’s no Aj Brown, Burks has been playing very well the last few weeks. Had a 25 yard td before going out last week. I think he’s gonna be very good as long as he stays healthy 

• Agree 1

Am I the only one who thinks that the timing on this means there's something else going on? (and maybe some have mentioned here but I haven't read through the entire thread).  I mean maybe just a disagreement between coach and GM...but even then would think it would wait until the end of the season.  Seems like it would be a Sean Kugler or Jerry Richardson kind of deal for an abrupt firing with a few weeks left in the season...and the team is leading the division.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I bet the owner had no problems with the GM when they were 7-3 two weeks ago...

Lawd, he was lovey-dovey.

As for the 'why now' part, someone caught someone diddling business major interns? 🤔

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Short term yes but long term it might be beneficial. 

I can totally understand the logic of the AJ Brown trade from the Titans perspective. AJB was pretty damn good for them but he was streaky and not super durable, so they didn't want to give him big money and flipped him for a cost controlled Burks. Right now AJB is balling out and Burks has been hurt but shown flashes, it looks bad but might help the team in the next few years. 

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

I guess the owner was enraged/embarrassed by that Titans/Eagles game.  Impulsive rage move.  The team likely wins the division, may finish 12-5.  

I thought the Titans were wise not signing a WR with TWO surgically repaired knees to a long term contract.  Eagles are getting a great season out of AJ Brown but they paid $57 million in cash for it if those knees get creaky next year.  Risky.  He'd get fired if they signed him to that contract, and he's hobbled seasons 2-4 of the contract.  

I hope a certain owner also has impulsive rage towards his GM and HC should a certain team lose to KC in the playoffs again for the 3rd straight year.

Edited by FilthyBeast
  • Eyeroll 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Wow. I think that is a shock. The only team in the NFL with a longer unbroken run of winning seasons than the Titans is the Chiefs and they have done it with Marcus Mariota and Ryan Tannehill at QB. 

I think Robinson has built that roster well for the most part. Now the AJ Brown trade was a mistake. I am a bit of an AJ Brown lover in fairness. I have banged the drum for AJ > DK since they came out of Ole Miss together. But that trade looked a bad one the minute it was made and while I am more optimistic than some about the long-term prognosis for Treylon Burks (and he had really come on the past couple of weeks before leaving the Philly game hurt) expecting him to be an AJ replacement off the bat was an error. 

Does feel like ultimately Vrabel, who was against the trade, lost faith in the GM and has won the power struggle. But there are a lot of bad teams out there who could do worse than hire Jon Robinson as GM. 

And it could just be a personality/power thing between him and Vrabel..or someone else.  It happens sometimes.  Kansas City is a good example.  John Dorsey was fired in 2017, only a few months after creating the trade for Mahomes with the Bills.  They had been to the playoffs 3 straight years at the time.  The reason given was his lack of communication skills, which seemed kinda bogus at the time.  But Andy Reid never answered to Dorsey, he answered only to Clark Hunt.  It wouldn't surprise me if that was the situation in Tenn. 

Big egos in powerful positions.  Often, one of them has to go.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He just got an extension in Feb and they have to pay him for 4 years 😬

apparently vrabel is going to have all the power now (like Bill O Brien)

Why can't this ever happen to me? 🤔  I'd even be willing to give Vrabel power over all of my clients... :beer:

6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Comparing apples to oranges here.  Lewis never won a playoff game. And I'd argue that he had a better QB at times with Palmer.  Vrabel is 2-3 in the playoffs.   Say what you want but I think his coaching is part of the reason they are competitive every year.   Id take what the Titans have over the alternative they are about to find out about.

If you are not close to winning championships, and you start getting blown out like the Titans did on Sunday, even if overall your team is decent, change is coming.  The Titans did not look good last week either against a Cinci team playing at home w/o Mixon and Chase.  If the Bills had lost to the Bengals at home and then went to Philly and got smoked, this board would be all up in arms wanting all sorts of change.  That is the nature of sports and competition.  If you are not great.  You need to keep trying to attain greatness.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.