Titans fire GM Jon Robinson

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I understand the firing, but doing this midseason for a team that will almost certainly make the playoffs seems a bit strange. There has to be more to this story than we know.

Need a new GM for next years draft. By doing it now they might be able to fill the position and be ready.

Not much for a GM to do at this time a year. Now is the good time if you want the new GM to be ready for 2023 draft IMO

Edited by ddaryl
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, buffalo2218 said:

I think even the owners know they're not going that far in the playoffs. The contract they gave Tannehill came back to bite em when AJ Brown wanted to get paid. There's even talk of Vrabel leaving the NFL for college next year

AJ Brown is why he got fired.  The owner sees what he does to them and is pissed.

Interesting timing for a team that is command of their division despite a couple of bad losses and their own midseason slump. This may be one of those 'more to the story' situations, but it also goes to show there are consequences to not seizing an open championship window and just being a playoff team/division winner every year simply isn't enough anymore for owners serious about winning.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The are going to win that division, right? Weird timing

It is indeed weird.

The Titans have been solid.  The AJ Brown trade was a Bad Trade, but the fact that the Titans have had a winning record every year since Robinson took over, have been in the playoffs 4x and seem headed for a 5th, says to me he's been doing a very good job.

The Titans only 2 bad losses this season have been to the Eagles (current NFC #1 seed) and the Bills (current AFC #1 seed).  They lost to the Giants because the G-men found a lucky horseshoe and stuck it up their butts, they lost to the Chiefs by 3 points in Overtime and to the Bengals by 4 points.

Who thinks it's a good idea to throw out your GM in the middle of the season after all that?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

Interesting timing for a team that is command of their division despite a couple of bad losses and their own midseason slump. This may be one of those 'more to the story' situations, but it also goes to show there are consequences to not seizing an open championship window and just being a playoff team/division winner every year simply isn't enough anymore for owners serious about winning.

Or you know if it were that, they'd have waited til after the playoffs. 

This was certainly more about trading AJ Brown who went 8/10 119 yards and 2 tds as opposed to Burks who is a rookie sure but went 1/1 25 yards and 1 td (1st td all year).

They effectively got worse.

17 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Need a new GM for next years draft. By doing it now they might be able to fill the position and be ready.

Not much for a GM to do at this time a year. Now is the good time if you want the new GM to be ready for 2023 draft IMO

Actually, I think the stretch run for a playoff team is where a good GM can lift a team by being clever with roster and PS management and finding quality backup/replacement help off other team's PS and sofas.

The Titans have apparently said they don't plan to bring in a new GM now - they will search after the season, in the meantime their VP of Player Personnel will serve as interim GM.

5 minutes ago, colin said:

it would seem to me that there simply must be more to this story.

he must done something just totally out of pocket to get the boot in the middle of a playoff run

Yeah, this seems to me like a "hidden blunder" situation.

Edited by Beck Water

I guess the owner was enraged/embarrassed by that Titans/Eagles game.  Impulsive rage move.  The team likely wins the division, may finish 12-5.  

I thought the Titans were wise not signing a WR with TWO surgically repaired knees to a long term contract.  Eagles are getting a great season out of AJ Brown but they paid $57 million in cash for it if those knees get creaky next year.  Risky.  He'd get fired if they signed him to that contract, and he's hobbled seasons 2-4 of the contract.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The are going to win that division, right? Weird timing

WOW nothing like having a quick trigger finger the guy has been doing pretty good since he's been there i hope the Pegs are paying attention & don't see this type of action as a way to do things & look more at this & the Bills past as how not odd things change can be good but this is pretty big unless the coach had some input about the relationship .

AJ brown effect.

Good teams in a championship window acquire receiving help...the titans traded their superstar...the same who helped Ryan yannehill look pretty damn good. Knee-jerk firing, now, for sure.

I like Rob woods, but aj brown he is not.

Edited by foreboding

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

AJ Brown trade killed them.  

How was that trade worse than Minnesota trading Diggs, KC trading Tyreek Hill, or GB trading Davonte Adams?  Treylon Burks is starting look like a good receiver for them…

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I guess the owner was enraged/embarrassed by that Titans/Eagles game.  Impulsive rage move.  The team likely wins the division, may finish 12-5.  

I thought the Titans were wise not signing a WR with TWO surgically repaired knees to a long term contract.  Eagles are getting a great season out of AJ Brown but they paid $57 million in cash for it if those knees get creaky next year.  Risky.  He'd get fired if they signed him to that contract, and he's hobbled seasons 2-4 of the contract.  

I concur.  The GM was eyeing the future.  The rookie is not working out might next year.  The guy will not be out of a job for long.  He did a solid job drafting talent to build that team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.