Transfer Portal is killing college football

ArdmoreRyno

It's killing it but they created it. 

I mean you maximize the school and coaches dollar (Billion dollar business) and then open a door to pay players and offer a system to transfer with no punishment. 

Drake may (North Carolina freshman QB) I reported to be entering, and why wouldn't he? He can see if he is offered millions to play for a contender, if he didn't do it it's a disservice to himself.

Worst case scenario he goes back to NC with no repercussions, best case he is at OSU or Bama with millions in the bank.

I don't like it but I don't blame the players. Schools look out for #1, why shouldn't they?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

The difficulty here is that the NCAA thieves are completely inexperienced in creating or maintaining a system based on fairness rather than thievery.  Maybe they can fix it but if they do there will be a lot of turmoil which is only beginning now.  Let’s face it, if they basically swept a decade of child rape under the rug so that the Penn State dollars could keep flowing, they will only fix the transfer portal, NIL, etc. if they can measure the loss of money.  They can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube and they don’t really know how to create a new tube yet.

Surprising no one with their corruption and incompetency, the NCAA screwed up the "pay the players" issue resolution by taking the easiest way out. The NIL idea is the worst possible solution to that issue. But it's the quickest and easiest one for them. The NCAA is such a joke.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, KzooMike said:

I think the system makes it harder to love your players/team, similar to NFL and free agency, but then again, the team loyalty itself is the driver for most. The players are just evolving jersey fillers. I guess I don't mind it too much. One thing I will say, no more Alabama dominance. With NIL money, no 4 star is going to stay more than a year growing in the system. We will still see elite schools on a consistent basis, but the outright domination as we saw with Bama is done. Lastly, I would absolutely want nothing to do with CFB right now if I was a coach. You recruit your rear end off, lose half your gains, try and stop portal transfers, try and compete with NIL money. It's too much. I could easily see a GM style position taken on by some colleges as the roster management and moving pieces is just getting to be too much for one guy who is supposed to be focused on X's and O's.   

I can see your point, though I will say the teams with the most money will also pay the 4 star on the bench to make sure he is happy and content with waiting his turn in a great system at a contender.

The 12 team playoff will also disperse talent, you no longer have to go to only 5 or 6 schools to have a chance at the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I agree. At last count Bama had 12 in the portal, and there is nothing to make me not believe that Saban ushered them into it as well.

I think that the biggest problem I have with with NIL is that imo, it will never increase the quality of play for the athlete and will often decrease it. I have said this many times, who wants to box Mike Tyson or get hit by Ruben Foster if you have 500K in your pocket and a selection from an entire university chock full of hot coeds?

I don't know where this whole thing will go, but it will wind up costing some of the better players money in the long run, or at least I think it will. Most of the best players come from poverty stricken backgrounds.  I truly don't think that many, if not most of them are mature enough or prepared to handle themselves with all of this sudden cash.

Jmo.

There is an old business axiom:   "Pigs get fat.......hogs get slaughtered."

The NCAA have started themselves down a path that could undermine their money raking racket.

Yeah........it's likely to make the product worse.........and do less to prepare players for the NFL..........which in turn encourages the NFL to eventually do something about that.

The NFL was happy to let the NCAA make their millions and not have to deal with developing their own talent but when the system fails then they will do something about it.

Between the chaos at the college ranks and the declining youth enrollment.........the NFL has a problem on it's hands.

This years draft.......there are *maybe* 15 guys who are going to have first round grades..........if those kind of numbers become the norm that is unacceptable production by the NCAA if I am the NFL.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The NCAA have started themselves down a path that could undermine their money raking racket.

Yeah........it's likely to make the product worse.........and do less to prepare players for the NFL..........which in turn encourages the NFL to eventually do something about that.

The NFL was happy to let the NCAA make their millions and not have to deal with developing their own talent but when the system fails then they will do something about it.

Between the chaos at the college ranks and the declining youth enrollment.........the NFL has a problem on it's hands.

This years draft.......there are *maybe* 15 guys who are going to have first round grades..........if those kind of numbers become the norm that is unacceptable production by the NCAA if I am the NFL.

So true!!! Tbh I had not thought of the possibility of the NFL stepping in, and there are many ways in which they could.

Btw, I agree 1,000,000% about this draft. I saw 1 early mock that had 6 or 7 QBs going in round 1, and I'm not sure that ANY of them are as good as Tua or Mac Jones, let alone Josh. Even Will Anderson who is potentially great (I liken him to some degree to Von Miller) took a step back this season so yes; I think that the quality will rapidly decrease unless the NFL steps in.

Thanks for yet another great post!

On 12/6/2022 at 9:50 AM, ArdmoreRyno said:

1,000+ FCS kids have hit the portal this year, most recently. I get a 5th year senior going somewhere (like Spencer Sanders at Oklahoma State) but there are SO MANY freshman-juniors leaving. Making college football not even fun anymore.

/rant over

Any good player UB had is running for the exit. This isn't going to affect the elite programs as much, but hundreds of other programs won't be able to build anything from year to year. Every good player will want to move up. Every depth player will want to start somewhere. It will be like shuffling a deck every year with no idea what you end up with. And fans of these schools and the boosters will start to lose interest.  It's bad enough when the coaches take off and take your best players with them.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Could more players end up going to the XFL or USFL for development? 

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Good question. Could they possibly pay as much as Texas A&M, etc.?

Star players, no. But everyone else? Pretty sure they can.

The NFL wants to keep any development league at arms length for liability purposes. But I'm sure they'd love to see prospects coached up in a pro setting.

On 12/8/2022 at 6:53 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Could more players end up going to the XFL or USFL for development? 

I would personally love a developmental league, I guess semi-pro for 17-24 year Olds. 

Would suck the money out of college to an extent but it would also return it to the pageantry and true "student-athletes" instead of kids doing what they have to so they can have a chance at the NFL.

Win-win IMO. Most of these kids have zero interest in going to college. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

I would personally love a developmental league, I guess semi-pro for 17-24 year Olds. 

Would suck the money out of college to an extent but it would also return it to the pageantry and true "student-athletes" instead of kids doing what they have to so they can have a chance at the NFL.

Once you introduce (overt) money into the process it's only a matter of time before someone comes along with enough money to buy themselves an SEC-like pro development league.

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

There is a semi professional development league… 

It’s called division one football

And the bold it is so untrue… 99% of D1 football players never sniff the pros…. The majority are all there for their education

The elite of the elite don’t care… A free college education is still a huge Boon to a lot of kids

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There is a semi professional development league… 

It’s called division one football

And the bold it is so untrue… 99% of D1 football players never sniff the pros…. The majority are all there for their education

The elite of the elite don’t care… A free college education is still a huge Boon to a lot of kids

We will have to agree to disagree. 

And besides, it isn't like the option to go play D1 would be taken away, it would still exist and be readily available. 

For the kids that have no interest in college they would have another option, and if they didn't make it, something tells me they would have made enough in the developmental league to pay for their school if they chose that route.

6 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Big disagree that "most of the kids have zero interest in college". At least half of them are there for school.

Force them to decide between school (which they would now have to pay for since no more scholarships), or a Dev league they are most likely not making it out of... seems more like Lose-Lose.

49 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Big disagree that "most of the kids have zero interest in college". At least half of them are there for school.

Force them to decide between school (which they would now have to pay for since no more scholarships), or a Dev league they are most likely not making it out of... seems more like Lose-Lose.

What if a dev league gives you a free ride to any school you want to go to, and pay you?

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Half of them? Yes I agree with that. Maybe I phrased it wrong. Most of the elite players don't.

But again, the colleges would still play ball and have spots for players that wanted school. You are not forcing anything, you are giving options and at the same time preserving the "spirit" of college football. 

I'm fine with them getting paid either way, at the school or away from it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.