Transfer Portal is killing college football

ArdmoreRyno

2 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

1,000+ FCS kids have hit the portal this year, most recently. I get a 5th year senior going somewhere (like Spencer Sanders at Oklahoma State) but there are SO MANY freshman-juniors leaving. Making college football not even fun anymore.

/rant over

Alabama already has 12 in the portal. What I don't like is that they can take NIL money and just leave. Even NFL free agents don't have this kind of freedom.

We were talking about bowl games having meaning.....who knows if we can even field a team?

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Alabama already has 12 in the portal. What I don't like is that they can take NIL money and just leave. Even NFL free agents don't have this kind of freedom.

We were talking about bowl games having meaning.....who knows if we can even field a team?

Most college rosters are 100-120+. They'll be fine fielding a team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

1,000+ FCS kids have hit the portal this year, most recently. I get a 5th year senior going somewhere (like Spencer Sanders at Oklahoma State) but there are SO MANY freshman-juniors leaving. Making college football not even fun anymore.

/rant over

I have no isdue with it.

players want a chance to start

in the old system thry had to sit out a year while coaches did not

the scholarships sre not guaranteed.  A new coach comes in and can pull scholarships.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Too many 4-5 stars ahead of them on the depth chart...

bottom line: same 5-8 teams vying for 4 playoff spots every year anyway...

On 12/6/2022 at 9:50 AM, ArdmoreRyno said:

/rant over

The cotton business got less fun when the fixed costs turned variable too.;)

The NCAA is organized crime.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The no red shirt year to transfer really opened the floodgates 

it used to be a huge decision to transfer … do I want to lose a year of eligibility? 

now you don’t need patience … if you don’t like sitting … just leave 

I think the concept is good but seems to operate a little differently than intended for some. JT Daniels is going to be on his 4th school and pretty sure that he was never a backup - what’s the issue each time? That said I am glad kids have the ability to leave if it’s not the right fit or there is a coaching change. It’s a huge decision to make as a HS kid. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The cotton business got less fun when the fixed costs turned variable too.;)

The NCAA is organized crime.  

I heard on Sirius today that Miami offered Alabama OLB/Edge Dallas Turner 1 million dollars to transfer. I don't blame Miami; I have seen every snap of his at Alabama and I'm telling you that he is very, VERY good.

That said, the system bothers me. I am not thinking that he will be a better player with a cool million (and who knows how much more) in his pocket. Will he be as hungry? Maybe so but I doubt it. 

I know that the players deserve money. I also know that Saban will be able to poach players from other teams and probably will, with or without Turner. I just think that that there should be a system in place. 

I get it that I am a bit reluctant to change. So are most people imo but this current system is like complete anarchy and needs structure imo.

What do you think?

37 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I heard on Sirius today that Miami offered Alabama OLB/Edge Dallas Turner 1 million dollars to transfer. I don't blame Miami; I have seen every snap of his at Alabama and I'm telling you that he is very, VERY good.

That said, the system bothers me. I am not thinking that he will be a better player with a cool million (and who knows how much more) in his pocket. Will he be as hungry? Maybe so but I doubt it. 

I know that the players deserve money. I also know that Saban will be able to poach players from other teams and probably will, with or without Turner. I just think that that there should be a system in place. 

I get it that I am a bit reluctant to change. So are most people imo but this current system is like complete anarchy and needs structure imo.

What do you think?

The NCAA were too greedy to resolve the compensation issue from within.........so they turned it over to the shyster boosters because they didn't want to go out of pocket..........and it's predictably turned into a free-for-all. :lol:

Ultimately.........won't matter much to the big schools and schools in big cities..........just means they might have to reluctantly peel a few loose bills off of their stacks of $100M+ annual profits and apply it to paying extra people to help manage NIL/Portal/Retention/Recuiting. 

An un-talked about aspect is that with the ease of transfer now teams are more able to get rid of players who don't fit their culture.

The aforementioned Hurricanes have about 15 players who have been asked to find "education" elsewhere...........because you don't have to keep them when the transfer portal is full of replacements.      

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the system makes it harder to love your players/team, similar to NFL and free agency, but then again, the team loyalty itself is the driver for most. The players are just evolving jersey fillers. I guess I don't mind it too much. One thing I will say, no more Alabama dominance. With NIL money, no 4 star is going to stay more than a year growing in the system. We will still see elite schools on a consistent basis, but the outright domination as we saw with Bama is done. Lastly, I would absolutely want nothing to do with CFB right now if I was a coach. You recruit your rear end off, lose half your gains, try and stop portal transfers, try and compete with NIL money. It's too much. I could easily see a GM style position taken on by some colleges as the roster management and moving pieces is just getting to be too much for one guy who is supposed to be focused on X's and O's.   

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The NCAA were too greedy to resolve the compensation issue from within.........so they turned it over to the shyster boosters because they didn't want to go out of pocket..........and it's predictably turned into a free-for-all. :lol:

Ultimately.........won't matter much to the big schools and schools in big cities..........just means they might have to reluctantly peel a few loose bills off of their stacks of $100M+ annual profits and apply it to paying extra people to help manage NIL/Portal/Retention/Recuiting. 

An un-talked about aspect is that with the ease of transfer now teams are more able to get rid of players who don't fit their culture.

The aforementioned Hurricanes have about 15 players who have been asked to find "education" elsewhere...........because you don't have to keep them when the transfer portal is full of replacements.      

I agree. At last count Bama had 12 in the portal, and there is nothing to make me not believe that Saban ushered them into it as well.

I think that the biggest problem I have with with NIL is that imo, it will never increase the quality of play for the athlete and will often decrease it. I have said this many times, who wants to box Mike Tyson or get hit by Ruben Foster if you have 500K in your pocket and a selection from an entire university chock full of hot coeds?

I don't know where this whole thing will go, but it will wind up costing some of the better players money in the long run, or at least I think it will. Most of the best players come from poverty stricken backgrounds.  I truly don't think that many, if not most of them are mature enough or prepared to handle themselves with all of this sudden cash.

Jmo.

Badol I think put it best with his cotton comment.  The NCAA has been stealing money for years.  I think Bill is also correct calling this anarchy even if I disagree that players on balance will experience a degradation in play.  It may be for some, but others may get a taste for the money and work even harder for the big NFL bucks.  A wash?

The difficulty here is that the NCAA thieves are completely inexperienced in creating or maintaining a system based on fairness rather than thievery.  Maybe they can fix it but if they do there will be a lot of turmoil which is only beginning now.  Let’s face it, if they basically swept a decade of child rape under the rug so that the Penn State dollars could keep flowing, they will only fix the transfer portal, NIL, etc. if they can measure the loss of money.  They can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube and they don’t really know how to create a new tube yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Oklahoma State LB, Mason Cobb who was the leading tackler, entered a few days ago... rumor was TWO WEEKS AGO that Texas A&M was trying to lure him to College Station.  

Well, shock... he's now visiting.

Completely against NCAA rules. 

I don’t believe it is against rules 

Once a player enters the portal… He is allowed to talk to as many coaches or visit as many schools as he likes

College football reporters are super plugged in… They probably knew he was gonna enter the portal and that A&M was a front runner and it came to fruition 

He probably told some people he was going to transfer and he obviously had some schools in mind 

Edited by Buffalo716

6 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Oklahoma State LB, Mason Cobb who was the leading tackler, entered a few days ago... rumor was TWO WEEKS AGO that Texas A&M was trying to lure him to College Station.  

Well, shock... he's now visiting.

Completely against NCAA rules. 

I hope that you get someone to replace him. I can't imagine the money they are tossing around.

As far as A&M, their roster is loaded with talent. Alabama was heavily recruiting their DT Water Nolen, who I think will be great. That said, carrying a roster full of millionaires didn't help them last season. 

If I'm a student studying Chemistry on an academic scholarship, I can transfer schools anytime I want.

If I'm the Head Coach of the Football team, I can leave anytime I want for any better offer from any school. Often with a simple text message to the children who I recruited and promised their parents I would look after them and help them become men. Bye!

The portal is just. And it is fine.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.