Outdoor Security Cameras?

Mark92

41 minutes ago, teef said:

just be passive aggressive and leave your feces all around his lawn and walkway.  

Seriously, I’m vindictive AF.  I would be spending every spare moment figuring out ways to mess with this dude until he either regretted his actions and stopped or he murdered me.  Road kill in his mailbox?  Yeah.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Seriously, I’m vindictive AF.  I would be spending every spare moment figuring out ways to mess with this dude until he either regretted his actions and stopped or he murdered me.  Road kill in his mailbox?  Yeah.

and it's so much more fun this way.  i've been mauling this over.  how would i get the feces on his property if he had cameras himself.  so far my easiest solution is to get a 3 man sling shot and just rocket it at his garage.  I can set up a couple of removable posts that act as the sling holder, and i'll pull/aim, and let it fly.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

1 minute ago, teef said:

and it's so much more fun this way.  i've been mauling this over.  how would i get the feces on his property if he had cameras himself.  so far my easiest solution is to get a 3 man sling shot and just rocket it at his garage.  I can set up a couple of removable posts that act as the sling holder, and i'll pull/aim, and let it fly.

I'm a little vindictive, too.

When my son was about 9 or 10, he was walking our dog and she peed on a guy's lawn.  The guy ripped my son a new a-hole and called him stupid.  When my son came home and told me, I said, "let's go talk to this guy."  So we went to the guy's house; I rang the doorbell and he answered the door and immediately starts raising his voice at me.  Told me my son was stupid and asked me if he even went to school.

He was an older guy ... 70s.  I was still close to punching him in the face, but I didn't.  He kept saying how much money he spent to make his lawn look good.  So before I left, I told him that my dog would be pissing on his lawn EVERY SINGLE DAY from that day forward.

I would seriously make my dog hold it in until we got to his lawn when I walked her at night.  Until the day she died (years later) I made sure she pissed on his lawn every day she could.

I know the guy doesn't live there anymore.  Not sure if he's dead and I couldn't care less.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, teef said:

Get him in the summer time too.  Buy a pound of shrimp and throw it up in his rain gutter.  After a couple days he’ll be going crazy trying to figure out where the vile stench in coming from.  Very few stinks worse than rotting shrimp 🤢 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mark92 said:

I've actually gone over 2 times to speak with him and he never answers the door.  2 days ago he he actually dumped a bag of leaves he had cleaned up at some point this fall and blew them all under my deck.  I went running outside and told him he was being rude, trespassing and if I ever saw him on my property again or if he aimed him blower in the direction of my house I would contact the police and a lawyer.  He laughed and said I didn't know you were home 🤬

He f@$#&d around and he is definitely going to find out.  Probably the legal way though.  🤷

Surprisingly there are laws about booby traps on your own property.  I looked 🤣

Set the leaves on fire and blow them back into his yard.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Ring works great.  I have Ring with a solar cell so there is no need to recharge batteries or connect directly to an outlet.  The only issue is sensitivity and range.  Depending on how big your yard is the camera might not trigger when he moves on to your yard or it might go off every time the wind blows.  

My parents had a similar issue with their front porch camera that faces the driveway.  There was a hanging plant that kept setting off the motion detection anytime the wind blew.  

5 hours ago, teef said:

Or a potato gun.  I used to have an air powered one that could blast pvc "darts" through the walls of our barn when powered up to 100psi. Here's a similar setup. 

https://youtu.be/bF4dPhQwzyo

I'm big into security camera's. 

- Have NEST cameras on one home. They were great when they first came out, but then they were bought by Google and it all went to crap. The tech is way behind now and overpriced. My 1080p nests are fairly grainy, can't read a license plate, have just "okay" night time vision, and the market have evolved past them. It has no local storage, so you have to pay Google a monthly fee to store the video footage.

- On another home I have Eufy cams. WOW, these are night and day vs the NEST cams as far as picture quality. These are SHARP. They're marketed as 2k and I believe it, because I can zoom in and read license plates, see peoples faces clear as day, read letting on shirts, etc. The eufy camera also stores the video locally (on the camera), so you don't have to pay cloud service.

The downside to both of these cameras are WiFi jammers. Criminals are now starting to bring WiFi jammers when the steal cars, etc. They jam the WiFi signal, so the camera doesnt transmit data, and then you have no footage.

- I'm now looking at ReoLink cameras and ive heard rave reviews about them. They are wired, so not WiFi and jammers dont effect them. They have local storage, 2k video, and even some deterrence features (bright light at night shines on the person it sees).

On 12/7/2022 at 11:31 AM, Mark92 said:

I've actually gone over 2 times to speak with him and he never answers the door.  2 days ago he he actually dumped a bag of leaves he had cleaned up at some point this fall and blew them all under my deck.  I went running outside and told him he was being rude, trespassing and if I ever saw him on my property again or if he aimed him blower in the direction of my house I would contact the police and a lawyer.  He laughed and said I didn't know you were home 🤬

He f@$#&d around and he is definitely going to find out.  Probably the legal way though.  🤷

Surprisingly there are laws about booby traps on your own property.  I looked 🤣

Well, if he’s trespassing you could always shoot him 

On 12/7/2022 at 12:14 PM, redtail hawk said:

Just went to simplisafe to see if any deals.  These https://simplisafe.com/home-security-shop-packages are very good (I don't work for or have any financial interest in the co).  I just bought the package with 2 outdoor cameras cuz it's cheaper than buying them separate plus I can protect a few more places.

if she agrees, it could be fun!

SimpliSafe is problematic for the reason I mentioned in my previous post.

Jamming.

You can jam the entire SimpliSafe system with just a walkie-talkie. Literally disable it and walk right in the house. If you buy a RF jammer (which a lot of criminals are doing), you can REALLY eff the system.

On 12/7/2022 at 2:19 PM, teef said:

just be passive aggressive and leave your feces all around his lawn and walkway.  

On 12/7/2022 at 3:03 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

So my neighbor had like 4 Burmese mountain dogs. When I moved in I caught them in my yard a lot. They said the old owner never minded. Well, I mind MFer. I have a 10lb shipoo and your dogs take bigger craps than my dog. One day they heard me complaining (by design) that I would gather all their dog ***** and plop it right on the hood of their cars on a hot sunny day. 

they put in a fence a few months later. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, mrags said:

So my neighbor had like 4 Burmese mountain dogs. When I moved in I caught them in my yard a lot. They said the old owner never minded. Well, I mind MFer. I have a 10lb shipoo and your dogs take bigger craps than my dog. One day they heard me complaining (by design) that I would gather all their dog ***** and plop it right on the hood of their cars on a hot sunny day. 

they put in a fence a few months later. 

you should just omit that you have such a dainty “dog” when telling that story 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Einstein said:

SimpliSafe is problematic for the reason I mentioned in my previous post.

Jamming.

You can jam the entire SimpliSafe system with just a walkie-talkie. Literally disable it and walk right in the house. If you buy a RF jammer (which a lot of criminals are doing), you can REALLY eff the system.

Have done some reading on this.  Nearly all home security systemshave a rf frequency component that can be exploited.  Simplisafe has backups https://simplisafe.com/blog/jam-detection-update and the argument that seems most convincing is that burglars almost always smash and grab.

It does seem reasonable to move my base unit to the middle of the house and take down signs that id the system as simplisafe however as burglars smarter than the Home Alone ones might know different jamming frequencies.  Without signs they won't know i have a system at all.  Still, gotta believe they'll go to the next house rather than taking a chance the jamming sensing

tech won't send a signal to the service that results in a call to the cops

Edited by redtail hawk
addition

1 hour ago, redtail hawk said:

Have done some reading on this.  Nearly all home security systemshave a rf frequency component that can be exploited.  Simplisafe has backups https://simplisafe.com/blog/jam-detection-update and the argument that seems most convincing is that burglars almost always smash and grab.

It does seem reasonable to move my base unit to the middle of the house and take down signs that id the system as simplisafe however as burglars smarter than the Home Alone ones might know different jamming frequencies.  Without signs they won't know i have a system at all.  Still, gotta believe they'll go to the next house rather than taking a chance the jamming sensing

tech won't send a signal to the service that results in a call to the cops

I found out about this issue because people in our town had cars stolen and their cameras and alarm systems caught nothing. After investigation they determined that jammers were used.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.