NFL warns it will punish teams for faking injuries

Fleezoid

5 hours ago, The Red King said:

The irony is, it was also the Bengals that faked injuries to slow down Buffalo's K-Gun offense in the AFC Championship game.  That lead to the injury in under two-minutes rule.

You have it reversed.  1988 the Bengals had a hurry up offense. They accused the Bills of faking injuries to slow them down and make subs.

The Bills no huddle was not their strategy until the 1990 season

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

“Ya gotta carry out the fake at least all the way to the sideline, don’t you? Hobble a little bit or something.”

Yeah, that was blatant.

3 hours ago, Beast said:

Actually, you couldn’t be more wrong. 

The Bills hurry-up offense was not even a thing in the 1988 season.

You know who had a hurry-up that year? The Bengals did. And the purpose for the Bengals using it was to catch defenses with too many men on the field.

Yeah, started when Wyche and the Bengals minted the quick sugar huddle and the NFL had issues with that and kept changing the rules.

The Bengals kept adapting till they had created the no huddle.

The late 80's Levy going up against the Bengals No Huddle hated it and complained a lot about it to the league.

"And don't think Wyche didn't notice what Levy did, "Marv Levy's headline is that 'The No-Huddle is No Fair,' and the next year they're running it and actually the next year is when they 'invented' it," Wyche said in America's Game: The Missing Rings....

As a result of the no-huddle, the NFL was forced to change several rules: If a player goes down injured, he must leave for the following play. Also, in a no-huddle situation, the defense is only allowed to substitute if the offense does."

I liked Sam Wyche although he was famous for his meltdowns... especially against the Bills. Passed away in 2020 from cancer.

Blast from the past and a game that started with 3 Kelly INTs before the Bills righted the ship against the Bengals and Sam blew his top.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Reks Ryan said:

You have it reversed.  1988 the Bengals had a hurry up offense. They accused the Bills of faking injuries to slow them down and make subs.

The Bills no huddle was not their strategy until the 1990 season

The Bengals did have a hurry up offense but it wasn’t the Bills that faked injuries in the playoffs that year. It came to a head when the Bengals played the Seahawks in the divisional round. Seahawks players were accused of faking injuries to slow down the Cincinnati offense and to avoid being called for Offside or too many men on field when the Bengals would line up quickly and snap the ball. The league was concerned about the potential for similar shenanigans in the AFC title game and warned the Bengals for using the hurry up in this manner. They told the Bills to not fake injuries as well but informed Cincinnati that if they used their offense to create a penalty that the officials would flag both teams : Buffalo for too many men or Offside and the Bengals for unsportsmanlike conduct and the penalties would offset. Head coach Sam Wyche was furious over this ruling, but I don’t remember it being called in the game. I do remember Bruce Smith being flagged for a phantom face mask during a sack of Esiason when he actually pulled his jersey. The Bills offense was not effective that day and struggled to cross midfield. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

7 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Does this also apply to flopping?  The Bengals one last night was extremely egregious so I can't blame them for needing to put out some kind of statement.

Josh Allen has become one of the NFL's most frequent (and worst) floppers.  Be careful what you wish for.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Josh Allen has become one of the NFL's most frequent (and worst) floppers.  Be careful what you wish for.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. Josh knows how to sell a push for a RTP call.

IMO Josh is trying to make sure he gets his share of calls because he knows with his style there is a tendency for refs to “ignore” hits that are called for other less mobile/physical QBs.

I don’t recall seeing anything i thought was particularly egregious…and most of the time this happens when he is running and is pushed as/after he throws the ball.  I think a lot of it is self-preservation…it is easier to go down and roll than to keep running and perhaps run into something on the sideline.  I’ve seen players injured as they crash into the bench or a cameraman.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, eball said:

IMO Josh is trying to make sure he gets his share of calls because he knows with his style there is a tendency for refs to “ignore” hits that are called for other less mobile/physical QBs.

I don’t recall seeing anything i thought was particularly egregious…and most of the time this happens when he is running and is pushed as/after he throws the ball.  I think a lot of it is self-preservation…it is easier to go down and roll than to keep running and perhaps run into something on the sideline.  I’ve seen players injured as they crash into the bench or a cameraman.

He has definitely taken his share of flops in the pocket. I'm not against it. I'm for it. As for does he get his share of calls, I think probably more so than some of the other "bigger bodied" QBs I can think of - Ben and Cam. And honestly I think that comes down to personality. I think Josh is probably the sort who talks to the refs in pre-game and asks about the family and all that sort of soft influencing you have to do. Not sure that was Ben and Cam so much. Peyton Manning was the master of it. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He has definitely taken his share of flops in the pocket. I'm not against it. I'm for it. As for does he get his share of calls, I think probably more so than some of the other "bigger bodied" QBs I can think of - Ben and Cam. And honestly I think that comes down to personality. I think Josh is probably the sort who talks to the refs in pre-game and asks about the family and all that sort of soft influencing you have to do. Not sure that was Ben and Cam so much. Peyton Manning was the master of it. 

I agree.

Allen was taking more than his fair share of late hits especially along the sideline early in his NFL debut.

If it took flopping a bit to draw the flags and that gets defenders to ease up on those to avoid the 15 yards, then great.

I have noticed fewer of those blatant late hits since Allen showed some decent ability drawing flags.

And a bit of friendly banter with the refs never hurts :)

11 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I am almost positive cam Jordan just faked an injury on 4th down so the saints could get substitutions in when the bucs looked like they were going for it

I was wondering this as well given the timing was highly suspicious. 

I don't think it makes sense having your best defensive player be the one to fake an injury - they still have to sit out the next play

2 hours ago, eball said:

To be clear, I am NOT criticizing Josh one bit.  But he's had more than a handful of dramatic flops after barely being touched.  

But like I said ... I don't care one bit.  And I do agree that he's smart to bring late/dirty hits to the officials' attention every single time; even if it doesn't result in a flag.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

To be clear, I am NOT criticizing Josh one bit.  But he's had more than a handful of dramatic flops after barely being touched.  

But like I said ... I don't care one bit.  And I do agree that he's smart to bring late/dirty hits to the officials' attention every single time; even if it doesn't result in a flag.

That's the QB's job, honestly. Embelishing a hit is different than faking an injury, though. Josh doesn't fake injury.

• Agree 1

Just now, MJS said:

That's the QB's job, honestly. Embelishing a hit is different than faking an injury, though. Josh doesn't fake injury.

I'll tell you what grinds my gears ... after every incompletion Aaron Rodgers throws, he signals holding against the defense.  It makes me want to punch him in the face.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I would totally call him out if I thought his actions were over the top. I can only remember one or two where I thought he was hamming it up. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.