Mets and Verlander agree for 2 years 86 million deal

Greg S

The terms of this deal make it good, IMO.

It's a hell of a lot better than giving deGrom a 5-year deal.

Mets will be playing the season with a 40-year-old and a 39-year-old as their aces.

I'd love if they could hang onto Bassitt and Walker.

• Like (+1) 1

The New York Mets signing Justin Verlander won’t matter because they let Jacob deGrom walk to the Texas Rangers so one step back one step back to where the New Mets were already that isn’t improving. The New York Mets are what they are a second city team. I am a New York Yankees fan who are a better franchise they always have been. Thankfully I grew up with Thurman Munson, Reggie Jackson, Mickey Rivers and Jim “Catfish” Hunter Yankees era as a Yankees fan it has been great. The Yankees kept Aaron Judge today the Yankees don’t loose there franchise players like the Mets franchise. The Mets make bad baseball decisions letting deGrom go for a 4 year older Verlander in my opinion. Go Yankees! Let’s Go Buffalo 

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

The New York Mets signing Justin Verlander won’t matter because they let Jacob deGrom walk to the Texas Rangers so one step back one step back to where the New Mets were already that isn’t improving. The New York Mets are what they are a second city team. I am a New York Yankees fan who are a better franchise they always have been. Thankfully I grew up with Thurman Munson, Reggie Jackson, Mickey Rivers and Jim “Catfish” Hunter Yankees era as a Yankees fan it has been great. The Yankees kept Aaron Judge today the Yankees don’t loose there franchise players like the Mets franchise. The Mets make bad baseball decisions letting deGrom go for a 4 year older Verlander in my opinion. Go Yankees! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Care to weigh in on this one, @Gugny? 😂

40 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Care to weigh in on this one, @Gugny? 😂

Where do I start?

• Yankees haven't been to the World Series since 2009; Mets were there in 2015.
  • The Yankees just gave a 30-year-old strikeout machine a 9-year/$360 mil., contract.  Enjoy those Ks in the postseason for years to come.
  • Oh ... can Judge pitch?
  • The Rangers just gave deGrom (who I love; don't get me wrong) a 5-year deal, even though he's coming off of consecutive injury-shortened seasons.
  • The Mets replaced deGrom with the reigning Cy Young Award winner and World Series winning pitcher ... and they signed him for two years (not 5).

Just another Yankees fan hanging on to what USED TO be.  It's a little sad, really.

Nah ... it's actually pretty funny!

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Where do I start?

• The Yankees just gave a 30-year-old strikeout machine a 9-year/$360 mil., contract.  Enjoy those Ks in the postseason for years to come.
  • The Rangers just gave deGrom (who I love; don't get me wrong) a 5-year deal, even though he's coming off of consecutive injury-shortened seasons.
  • The Mets replaced deGrom with the reigning Cy Young Award winner and World Series winning pitcher ... and they signed him for two years (not 5).

Just another Yankees fan hanging on to what USED TO be.  It's a little sad, really.

You didn’t have to go that far!  🙄😝

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Where do I start?

Number one bullet point is bizarre. They won it in 2009. The Yankees have won it in 1996, 1998, 1998, 2000, 2009... That's 5 times since the Mets last win in 1985.

Hate all you want...  There will always be a Yankee mystique as being the most storied franchise in MLB history. Even if they throw a few clunker decades around.  

Just beyond me that we're setting the bar at just showing up in the last 10 years... The Yankees in last 20 years have 13 Division Titles...

The Mets? In last 35 years... 2 Division titles.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Number one bullet point is bizarre. They won it in 2009. The Yankees have won it in 1996, 1998, 1998, 2000, 2009... That's 5 times since the Mets last win in 1985.

Hate all you want...  There will always be a Yankee mystique as being the most storied franchise in MLB history. Even if they throw a few clunker decades around.  

Just beyond me that we're setting the bar at just showing up in the last 10 years... The Yankees in last 20 years have 13 Division Titles...

The Mets? In last 35 years... 2 Division titles.  

I'll quote myself in order to respond to you ...

You've been added to the list.

Tv Show Comedy GIF by HULU

Suck it haters... The mystique lives:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/aaron-judges-massive-contract-keeps-yankees-mystique-alive-—-just-barely/jcnpon9yndvkocc33abxqgz3

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I'll quote myself in order to respond to you ...

You've been added to the list.

Tv Show Comedy GIF by HULU

No.  At least they have something.  It just kills you that A.Judge values the pinstripes more than anything else...

This nails it!

"...In a world — or is it a bubble or an echo chamber? — where the allure of wearing the pinstripes in Yankees Stadium was built up to the point where it was seen as more important than money, the idea of Judge actually leaving was just silly, a thing that couldn’t actually happen. Stars don’t leave the Yankees if the Yankees want the stars to stay.

And in the end, of course, Judge stayed. The Yankees Mystique survived, but only barely.  ..."

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Suck it haters... The mystique lives:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/aaron-judges-massive-contract-keeps-yankees-mystique-alive-—-just-barely/jcnpon9yndvkocc33abxqgz3

No.  At least they have something.  It just kills you that A.Judge values the pinstripes more than anything else...

Does mystique keep a team from striking out 50 times on the wrong end of a 4-game sweep in the ALCS?  (Judge went 1-16 in that series)

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Does mystique keep a team from striking out 50 times on the wrong end of a 4-game sweep in the ALCS?  (Judge went 1-16 in that series)

You obviously don't know what mystique means. LoL...

It's what kept him... Those 27 titles, Ruth, Gehrig, Berra, Maris, Jeter... 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Replacing one great pitcher with another doesn't represent improvement (I actually agree with that) but resigning the same player you already had does? If not, why make the point?

As to letting DeGrom go - which they actually didn't, for whatever reason he wanted out (cue the Mets derision from holier-than-thou Yankee fans) - being a bad baseball decision, time will tell. As it will with Judge.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

People remember the position players but the key thing George knew in the 1970's was that you never had enough pitching..........back in the day of 4 man rotations he was always adding EXTRA big name starters(like Don Gullett) and even signed a closer(Gossage) when his existing closer(Sparky Lyle) had just won the Cy Young award.    

I like Verlander but after watching old man Scherzer limp to the 2022 finish......totally spent........I wouldn't want two 40 somethings at the top of the rotation.

Now that Cohen is up over $300M every dollar he spends gets taxed at 90%...........so if they go after a young ace like Rodon at $30M per Rodon would actually cost them $57M per year.  

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

People remember the position players but the key thing George knew in the 1970's was that you never had enough pitching..........back in the day of 4 man rotations he was always adding EXTRA big name starters(like Don Gullett) and even signed a closer(Gossage) when his existing closer(Sparky Lyle) had just won the Cy Young award.    

I like Verlander but after watching old man Scherzer limp to the 2022 finish......totally spent........I wouldn't want two 40 somethings at the top of the rotation.

Now that Cohen is up over $300M every dollar he spends gets taxed at 90%...........so if they go after a young ace like Rodon at $30M per Rodon would actually cost them $57M per year.  

I will be interested to see how much further Cohen pushes the payroll, still holes to fill. There's a reason they call it the Cohen tax, it was put in place for him. The Yankees were always a team willing to bury their mistakes by spending more. Cohen had his first Yankee moment when he cut ties with Cano and ate that contract.

On 12/7/2022 at 8:07 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

$30-per was prescient - except it was $31 for Nimmo and Robertson

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.