Receiver Options For the Remainder of the Season?

Warriorspikes51

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't think we need anymore wrs.  Diggs & Davis are the go to guys. McKenzie and Knox have been getting open but targeted less. After these 4, I'd incorporate Smoke, Shakir & Hines more into the mix.  That's 7 capable receivers. I could care less if Kumerow,  Stevenson and Crowder ever come back. These would be my top 7. 

Our problem is OL, not WR.

You can't fix OL mid-season. So, you either try to improve in areas that can make up for OL deficiency (pass catchers) or do nothing and pray that what never worked before suddenly starts working now for now reason. It looks like we'll choose the latter.

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

You can't fix OL mid-season. So, you either try to improve in areas that can make up for OL deficiency (pass catchers) or do nothing and pray that what never worked before suddenly starts working now for now reason. It looks like we'll choose the latter.

There's this thing called the trade deadline (mid-season). You go out and trade for someone better than Saffold, Brown or Q.  Instead of trading for Marlowe and Hines who are rarely used. Just because we've won 3 in a row doesn't mean Josh has all of a sudden stopped running for his life. We don't need more wrs.  We need Kromer to do his damn job.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Brandin Cooks is the only one of the external options that really moves the needle for me, I also wouldn’t hate Beasley to the PS as a kick the tires type move.

As far as internal options I would say that a Crowder return from IR would be the the teams best option at getting more production from the WR position. Crowder is a more shifty slot WR and I think the intention with signing him was to have a speedy WR that could break man to man in Mac complemented by a vet WR that was more shifty in Crowder that could break zone.

T Johnson stated in camp Mac and Crowder being so different made them so difficult to guard. Maybe if they can get Crowder back week 17 work him slowly in the last two weeks of the season he can be ready and warmed up for the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

We are 9-3 with the best QB in the NFL.  Our defense is lights out when most our healthy.  We should get to at least 13 wins heading to the playoffs.  I like our chances with a reasonably healthy roster.  

26 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

We are 9-3 with the best QB in the NFL.  Our defense is lights out when most our healthy.  We should get to at least 13 wins heading to the playoffs.  I like our chances with a reasonably healthy roster.  

Lights out? Meaning they play like they're blind?

They routinely give up monster plays regardless of who is on the field, and without Miller, Hyde, and Benford we'll never hit the bar of "healthy". Our defense is a liability, not a strength. If we find ourselves in a playoff situation where we have to kick the ball off with under 2 minutes to go and up by less than 3, I 100% expect to lose.

Crowder's game is quickness, not sure how long it will take him to regain this, even if he continued training through his injury, how much damage was done to the soft tissue.  I remember busting an ankle one time and it was several months even with PT to get it right.

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There's this thing called the trade deadline (mid-season). You go out and trade for someone better than Saffold, Brown or Q.  Instead of trading for Marlowe and Hines who are rarely used. Just because we've won 3 in a row doesn't mean Josh has all of a sudden stopped running for his life. We don't need more wrs.  We need Kromer to do his damn job.

Maybe you didn't understand me. You can't upgrade your line midseason. I'm aware of the concept of trading, but it just doesn't ever happen for starting caliber OL. They're simply too valuable for a team at any stage and it takes too long to get up to speed.

At absolute best you can find a bottom of the roster player who's likely going to get cut anyway and you trade a 7th round pick just to get dibs. it's not a worthwhile solution to the problem.

Bringing back Beasley would be pretty interesting if he would go for a deal that actually makes sense. I wanted to see them get OBJ on a one year deal just for the playoffs but it seems unlikely he is going to settle for just short term. Plus, without doing workouts with the teams he's visiting, he probably isn't going to be ready to do much even in playoff time this year. 

A healthy and well rested Beasley added to the room going into the playoffs this year would be a lot different than him trying to gut out injuries going into the playoffs like he did the last two years. His age isn't going to let him have the full year high production numbers like he did a few years ago, but just a few weeks of contribution if he gives it his all like he has before can be a difference maker. Not to mention he's always had good chemistry with Josh and wouldn't have to learn everything they are running from scratch like the other options.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’d really like to see Beasley get a shot at a short run here. Knows the offense has chemistry with Josh. Fills the void he left in the passing game. Will be cheap…give him a look

Who liked this, and who barfed on it, has caused me to reconsider my opinion - just sayin’.  😂 

Hard to know what he had left last time around. He was hurt and I appreciate toughness. But it seemed he’d get near the chains, probably catch the ball then hit the deck before he got hit. Tampa has a lot of weapons so I can see not being a star there, but I still have to wonder why he’s not playing anywhere. How much was it injury, and how much was just he lost a step? Or two? Sitting down in the soft spot on zone D was his thing. Could he still do that? I think there’s a reason he’s sitting at home. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.