Panthers release Baker Mayfield

SCBills

15 minutes ago, dpberr said:

He's a fit on the Colts.  At a minimum, Mayfield could throw a 20-yard pass.  Right now, that's an impossible task in Indianapolis with Matt Ryan.  

The 4-8-1 Colts would be insane to pick him up.  The last thing they need is to win a couple more games.

Colts have a bye then play the Vikings, Chargers, Giants and end the season with the Texans.

They should be in full tank mode.

So if he does sign with someone....he will have been on 3 teams in the last 6 months.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

The 4-8-1 Colts would be insane to pick him up.  The last thing they need is to win a couple more games.

Colts have a bye then play the Vikings, Chargers, Giants and end the season with the Texans.

It's why they hired Saturday.

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Baker isn't elite but he isn't the worst either. I can't see a playoff caliber team pursuing him though as that's a major distraction that can't be good for a locker room this late in the season. 

He can be a good game manager, and at least give defenses more to worry about than a rookie Mr Irrelevant.

SF already survived a mini-QB Controversy that fixed itself once Lance got injured. Now they have to deal with the other guy going down. They have to bring someone in to backup Purdy at the very least. I think their locker room could manage dealing with bringing Mayfield in late.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

For the Colts and Texans, I see it being more of a move for next year. See what he has, and if they want to make him an offer to extend/re-sign.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He can be a good game manager, and at least give defenses more to worry about than a rookie Mr Irrelevant.

SF already survived a mini-QB Controversy that fixed itself once Lance got injured. Now they have to deal with the other guy going down. They have to bring someone in to backup Purdy at the very least. I think their locker room could manage dealing with bringing Mayfield in late.

They brought in Josh Johnson who's been there (and everywhere) before. Baker in Houston feels feasible.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The day after Jimmy G goes down for the season. 

Interesting…

Panthers save $1.35M in cap by this move, not that I'm sure cap space matters to them.

Mayfield is a FA next season, though if they kept him on the roster through the end of the season and he signs elsewhere (almost certain to happen) they could theoretically get a comp pick

Locker room move?

It's bizarre to think that with a record of 4-8 after a win over  Denver a week ago, the Panthers are potentially one W out of the NFC S division title (depending upon the results of Tampa Bay-NO tonight). 

Tampa Bay then plays the 49ers, the Bengals, and the Cardinals, while the Panthers have Seattle, the Steelers, and the Lions. 

In theory, the Jan 1 meeting between the Bucs and the Panthers could have playoff implications!

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I was never a Mayfield fan or believer, but it sucks to see him get done so dirty by the Browns that if effectively ruins any shot at a pro career.

I'd almost feel bad, if he didnt already have millions of dollars to fall back on.

I'm glad there's no more Baker Mayfield commercials.  Those were grueling.

8 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

They brought in Josh Johnson who's been there (and everywhere) before. Baker in Houston feels feasible.

Houston? Doesn’t seem too likely. They aren’t trying to win either. It’s why they put Kyle Allen in. It’s why they rein in their best player (Pearce) at key points and don’t use him. 

37 minutes ago, eball said:

You can't.  Even though he has flamed out you've got to kick the tires on Mayfield.  You need a guy who has played in big games, even if it's just to manage the game behind that defense.

Agree. Nothing I saw out of Pudy last night suggests to me that he can be enough to get the 49ers where they want to go. 

• Like (+1) 4

31 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

What kind of collusion is this?! There has to be some sort of weird back door handshake happening here.

I’d bet Baker’s agent asked for his release, it’s obvious it didn’t work out, and with an opening in SF, it’s a good opportunity for him to get on the big stage AGAIN, to try to regain some sort of value.   I’m 100% sure SF will put in a claim for him, but there’s a lot of teams that could do it ahead of them, so who knows if it will work out for them.  Hell, if I’m Seattle, I’m claiming him, JUST to screw SF. 

I think Purdy looked great, seemed completely unflappable, but to take a rookie  7th round QB and expect a deep run into the playoffs, when they have gone all-in on this season, is a major question.  They need a vet in a hurry and Josh Johnson is not the answer.  I’d let it ride with Purdy for now, but if he gets shaky, you need somebody to at least try to save the boat.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For the Colts and Texans, I see it being more of a move for next year. See what he has, and if they want to make him an offer to extend/re-sign.

The Texans will have the 1st pick and will take the best QB in the draft.  Why would they need Mayfield?

They need the best backup QB who can help the rookie and that surely is not Mayfield.

The only QB needy teams below the Colts are the Saints (who don't have a 1st round pick) and the Panthers.

I think they would be foolish not to go for QB#2 in the draft.  Keeping Matt Ryan will ensure that will happen.

IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Remember…waiver cla8m means contract money and cap. He clears waivers it’s different

teams who could sign him

By need 

49ers

rams 

Ravens

others could based on team qb depth

Remember, a lot of his salary was handled by Cleveland this year in order to trade him:

"Mayfield’s deal, which runs through the upcoming 2022 campaign, is worth a total of $18.8 million. Of that total, the Browns have agreed to pay $10.5 million with the Panthers footing just $5 million of his base salary. The remaining $3.5 million, as agreed upon by Baker himself, has been trimmed per Mike Garofolo."

So I believe, at most, teams would be on the hook for whatever little amount remains of that $5M. We're well past halfway of the season, so you're looking at like $1.5-2M tops. Probably wont sign a QB for any less than that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.