Panthers release Baker Mayfield

SCBills

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Rumor that the Rams claimed him. Makes sense with their QB situation 

Makes some sense and keeps him from having a shot at SF or NYJ.

We will see how they use him or if it is more - SF you can’t have him.  Either way - I am fine.

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Why are you surprised?  They couldn't get him.  The trade deadline is passed & they were way below the Rams on the waiver list.  

Good point. I guess surprised is the wrong word. I think Baker and SF would have been a good fit.

Rams are currently third on the waiver order list. SF is 27th. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-waiver-wire-order-rules-claims/

I just checked the Rams board. Posters are mad at what they refer to as "McSneed" for putting the team in the position of needing to make a move like this because they traded all the draft picks. SB win or not, fans hate GMs and coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Gotta love that Shanahan said he would be surprised if they pick up Mayfield. 

But what did he mean by that?

The 49ers are pretty far down the waiver priority list. 

Did he mean he would be surprised if they put in a claim, or surprised if no one ahead of them in waiver priority got there first?

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

Rams are currently third on the waiver order list. SF is 27th. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-waiver-wire-order-rules-claims/

I just checked the Rams board. Posters are mad at what they refer to as "McSneed" for putting the team in the position of needing to make a move like this because they traded all the draft picks. SB win or not, fans hate GMs and coaches.

SOME fans, and they can be insufferable. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

I'm surprised SF didn't try to get him. He would be perfect there. 

Except he has to learn the offense and show he can throw accurately to Deebo and Ayuk. Yeah sorry Baker is a middling QB at best. He might be a good add for them next year to backup/temporary replace Lance (another bust)but this year ehhhhh no. 

Not ideal for him like SF, but the Rams are a pretty good landing spot:

- he will definitely get an opportunity this year on a team that still has talent. Mostly defensive talent, but still. 
- good offensive minds who may be able to figure out how to maximize his talents and hide his shortcomings

- it is by no means certain that Stafford will make it all the way back. He could be Peyton Manning in his final year next season. So Baker has a continuing chance if he stays there. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.