Panthers release Baker Mayfield

SCBills

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Elway retired from official capacities and is now a consultant and I think Broncos will use him but if they used him on decision of signing Russell Wilson and he thought it was a good idea they may not.

Elway did not sign Wilson.

Not officially, but you can bet he as an 'outside consultant' to Paton he was on board with it. 

1 minute ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

I want a commercial of him still trying to sleep at the browns stadium. 

If Baker had any sense of humor, he could have still been making money doing those commercials.

They would be hilarious, and he would definitely improve his brand name.

I'd bet Progressive would love them!  I know the fans would except for maybe people in Cleveland.

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I’d bet Baker’s agent asked for his release, it’s obvious it didn’t work out, and with an opening in SF, it’s a good opportunity for him to get on the big stage AGAIN, to try to regain some sort of value.   I’m 100% sure SF will put in a claim for him, but there’s a lot of teams that could do it ahead of them, so who knows if it will work out for them.  Hell, if I’m Seattle, I’m claiming him, JUST to screw SF. 

I think Purdy looked great, seemed completely unflappable, but to take a rookie  7th round QB and expect a deep run into the playoffs, when they have gone all-in on this season, is a major question.  They need a vet in a hurry and Josh Johnson is not the answer.  I’d let it ride with Purdy for now, but if he gets shaky, you need somebody to at least try to save the boat.

Reports this morning said it as 'mutual' implying Baker asked for release and the Panthers granted it.

He probably asked for release for a chance to latch onto SF

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If Baker had any sense of humor, he could have still been making money doing those commercials.

They would be hilarious, and he would definitely improve his brand name.

I'd bet Progressive would love them!  I know the fans would except for maybe people in Cleveland.

He could have done a commercial about him moving from Cleveland to Baltimore.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, hemma said:

He asked for his own release so ‘collusion’ doesn’t fit.

Well that takes the fun out of this,

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I feel like they surrounded him with talent and he was too wrapped up with being a star to actually work at being a good QB.

I very rarely wish failure on anyone, but seeing this little prick crash and burn makes me chuckle.

This is where I'm at too. OBJ, Landry, Njoku, great Oline his first couple years and Nick Chubb. if you can't produce with those pieces you won't produce on another team. I didn't care for his entire personality and the heir of smugness he had about him. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Report: Broncos Assign John Elway a New Role as 'Outside Consultant'

John Elway is no longer on the inside of Broncos HQ.

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/john-elway-outside-consultant-new-role

Dig a little deeper, he "assigned himself."

The Broncos ownership knows they can't fire a legend, even though they should have. He was absolutely terrible. Only thing that he could hang his hat on was the Manning signing.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Hue's record was 1-31 because the Browns wanted it that way.

And yes ... I absolutely blame Mayfield for Hue being fired when he was fired.

Hue had Tyrod Taylor starting. Tyrod got hurt, Mayfield comes in and rallies the Browns to a MNF win over the NYJets.

Hue got fired because he was 3-36-1, not because of Mayfield.

39 minutes ago, DrBob806 said:

Dig a little deeper, he "assigned himself."

The Broncos ownership knows they can't fire a legend, even though they should have. He was absolutely terrible. Only thing that he could hang his hat on was the Manning signing.

I live in Bronco land.  They love him as a past QB, but they don't want him anywhere near selecting QBs (or any other players for that matter).

The "assigned himself" stuff is a joke out here.  The fans knew he had to leave the front office.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NickelCity said:

I realize I'm in the minority, but I've never disliked Mayfield. His competitive spirit is there. The walk-on stuff is admirable. But I wonder what happens to his career from here. 

Best case scenario he gets to hold a clipboard somewhere and only has to play to hold a team together until the actual QB gets back.

He can make good money that way, he just isn't a QB1.

14 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

From 1st overall to trying to just get a job anywhere. Can’t believe I’m saying this but I somehow feel for the guy. 

I mean, he made alot if money. I agree it isnt his fault he was overdrafted, but what if he was a 4th round pick? He would have made a fraction of what he has.

He made alot for his talent level, no one should feel bad for him.

4 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Best case scenario he gets to hold a clipboard somewhere and only has to play to hold a team together until the actual QB gets back.

He can make good money that way, he just isn't a QB1.

I mean, he made alot if money. I agree it isnt his fault he was overdrafted, but what if he was a 4th round pick? He would have made a fraction of what he has.

He made alot for his talent level, no one should feel bad for him.

I think Baker's too bullish a character for this to eat away at him too much, but mentally it could be a fight for him to get back on track. All the money in the world doesn't make you healthy in that regard.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.