Panthers release Baker Mayfield

SCBills

Just now, GaryPinC said:

😂  Hue's record was 1-31 his first two years, 2-5-1 when he was fired (mid-point) and you blame Baker?😂

Hue's record was 1-31 because the Browns wanted it that way.

And yes ... I absolutely blame Mayfield for Hue being fired when he was fired.

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The contract voids when he's released.  I don't *think* the Panthers have any salary guarantees to cover.

I believe the contract voids if he clears Waivers - if the 49ers (or any team) claim him - I believe they assume the contract he is currently playing on.

Therefore - it would clear the remaining salary from the Panthers and the 49ers would assume their portion of the contract.

If he clears waivers - the Panthers are responsible for his contract minus any offsets in the new contract he signs.  That would all depend upon how the contract is structured.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Here's something that might be interesting...

Colts claim him and waive Matt Ryan, who ends up in SF reunited with Shanahan

Reuniting & Re-incarnation are not the same thing. 

Ryan is done.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Hue's record was 1-31 because the Browns wanted it that way.

And yes ... I absolutely blame Mayfield for Hue being fired when he was fired.

I live in Cleveland.  Hue Jackson was a pathetic joke of a head coach long before Mayfield even arrived.  You could be Hue's best friend in the entire world because he totally enjoys warping reality to deflect blame just like you.

19 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The contract voids when he's released.  I don't *think* the Panthers have any salary guarantees to cover.

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I believe the contract voids if he clears Waivers - if the 49ers (or any team) claim him - I believe they assume the contract he is currently playing on.

Therefore - it would clear the remaining salary from the Panthers and the 49ers would assume their portion of the contract.

If he clears waivers - the Panthers are responsible for his contract minus any offsets in the new contract he signs.  That would all depend upon how the contract is structured.

If someone picks him up off waivers, they are on the hook for $1.3M remaining for this year. That's it.

30 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

After seeing this Josh Johnson signing, I'm going to speculate that the Baker rumors about his attitude is probably true.

I was sure the 49'ers were going to put in a claim for him.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

After seeing this Josh Johnson signing, I'm going to speculate that the Baker rumors about his attitude is probably true.

The one I think will claim him is Denver.  Depending on how much power Elway still has, he was in love with him during the draft process....  Baker and Wilsons egos on the same team would be must watch TV LOL.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The one I think will claim him is Denver.  Depending on how much power Elway still has, he was in love with him during the draft process....  Baker and Wilsons egos on the same team would be must watch TV LOL.

If there's one thing Elway does well, it's evaluate QB talent!

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Elway has no official job with the team but if he did that, I would love it.

I constantly remind Bronco fans that Elway passed on Josh Allen because he had Case Keenum as QB.

Bronco fans are on the ledge, and this just might make them jump!

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Elway has no official job with the team but if he did that, I would love it.

I constantly remind Bronco fans that Elway passed on Josh Allen because he had Case Keenum as QB.

Bronco fans are on the ledge, and this just might make them jump!

Even worse. Now remind them the guy that Elway selected over Josh Allen plays in Miami now. LOL

5 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

How long does it take to clear waivers typically?  How much time does each team have to decide whether or not to claim any given player?  Minutes, hours?

24 hours 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If someone picks him up off waivers, they are on the hook for $1.3M remaining for this year. That's it.

correct - the Panthers portion of the contract.

By cutting him the contract does not void though.

If he clears waivers and is then signed - the Panthers would be responsible for the remaining contract minus any off sets.

It is a bigger deal for the guys speculating that Indy will grab Mayfield and then cut Ryan to get to SF as Ryan has a larger contract to bear including money next year.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

How long does it take to clear waivers typically?  How much time does each team have to decide whether or not to claim any given player?  Minutes, hours?

It doesnt really go in order. Like Houston doesnt have to say "no" before they ask the 2nd team. There is a waiver window where anyone/everyone can put in a claim, and then at the end of that window, he goes to the lowest team that said "yes". They all have the same 24 hours.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

They still could - the Josh Johnson pick-up was started prior to the Mayfield report.

The 2 do not necessarily have anything to do with each other.  

The 49ers needed someone immediately with knowledge of the system- hence Johnson.  Mayfield might be a multi week look in case Purdy struggles.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It doesnt really go in order. Like Houston doesnt have to say "no" before they ask the 2nd team. There is a waiver window where anyone/everyone can put in a claim, and then at the end of that window, he goes to the lowest team that said "yes". They all have the same 24 hours.

I'll be shocked if Seattle doesn't put in a claim.

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Even worse. Now remind them the guy that Elway selected over Josh Allen plays in Miami now. LOL

LOL.  I have.

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

They still could - the Josh Johnson pick-up was started prior to the Mayfield report.

The 2 do not necessarily have anything to do with each other.  

The 49ers needed someone immediately with knowledge of the system- hence Johnson.  Mayfield might be a multi week look in case Purdy struggles.

True.  I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Elway retired from official capacities and is now a consultant and I think Broncos will use him but if they used him on decision of signing Russell Wilson and he thought it was a good idea they may not.

6 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Elway's biggest mistakes ... taking Chubb instead of Allen and signing Wilson. Grounds for dismissal ...

Elway did not sign Wilson.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Thanks for the info!   I had no idea it worked like that.   Thought it was like the draft so to speak. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.