Panthers release Baker Mayfield

SCBills

There were red flags with this guy, big ego usually does not translate well for athletes. It is quite amazing that out of the 5 quarterbacks' taken in the first round, Allen, who I did not want at the time, turned out to be the winning lottery ticket. It did not take long to be on board with Allen, his attitude and work ethnic resonated with me personally. Looking at this makes one feel exceptionally lucky and grateful for the intuition of the Bills front office and coaching staff. We were waaaay overdue to get one right! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

You can't.  Even though he has flamed out you've got to kick the tires on Mayfield.  You need a guy who has played in big games, even if it's just to manage the game behind that defense.

Mayfield is not a game manager.  He needed to be stripped down and rebuilt by Alex Van Pelt but he kept reverting to previous form.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Sure he's not a rapist like the guy the Browns replaced him with, but this latest separation proves that Mayfield has serious issues and why his career in this league is going to very short lived, even more so than expected.

I think it’s more that he just isn’t that good. Even if he is annoying in the lockerroom, that stuff gets overlooked if you can play.

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Just to let Ryan go, out of respect for him and knowing nobody else is going to claim him and he's gone in 5 games anyway.

the idea would be to get Ryan to SF

It is an interesting thought.  The question is is guaranteed money for next year.  

I believe the Colts guaranteed 10-12 million of his 2023 Salary upon acquiring him - so I can see getting rid of Ryan, but it is not cheap and he is under a huge contract number for next year that I am not sure a team like the 49ers want.

Therefore he would have to pass through waivers and then the Colts are forced to payout the contract.  Plus Mayfield is not under contract for next year - so you are cutting and paying one guy to pick up a 5 game QB that will not be back?

Seems to risky - keep Ryan and try to trade him in the off season to get rid of the salary.

Sign Mayfield if they want - just to get him in the building.

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Don't you feel sweet redemption for your boy Geno? I always thought he had it in him. But man you were right on him

Yes! Some guys just need time to develop. Some guys that's a full decade. 🤣

Maybe a team who needs a vet QB, like the Jets, can get on the phone and trade a couple of 1sts for him!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, H2o said:

San Fran would be a solid landing spot for him, but there are likely other teams on the waiver wire ahead of them who may take a swing. 

4 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Wonder if Seattle will claim him

Agree, could see Seattle doing it just to make sure he doesn't go to SF.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Lane Meyer K12 said:

There were red flags with this guy, big ego usually does not translate well for athletes. It is quite amazing that out of the 5 quarterbacks' taken in the first round, Allen, who I did not want at the time, turned out to be the winning lottery ticket. It did not take long to be on board with Allen, his attitude and work ethnic resonated with me personally. Looking at this makes one feel exceptionally lucky and grateful for the intuition of the Bills front office and coaching staff. We were waaaay overdue to get one right! 

I've often wondered if Allen had been selected already, who would the Bills have taken instead?  Likely either Mayfield or Darnold would have still been available at #7 then.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think it’s more that he just isn’t that good. Even if he is annoying in the lockerroom, that stuff gets overlooked if you can play.

Correct. Hence why now we're hearing the Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray noise. 

Coincidence that it's only coming out now that they're losing? I think not.

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I've often wondered if Allen had been selected already, who would the Bills have taken instead?  Likely either Mayfield or Darnold would have still been available at #7 then.

Terrifying to even think about it.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.