Panthers release Baker Mayfield

SCBills

Baker's a good enough QB to be given another chance. The question is will it be first choice (as said, the 49ers or the Rams may roll the dice) or will he have to be content as a back up?

Interestingly Wilks, Darnold and Walker have been going out of their way to say how good he has been in the locker room.

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Here's something that might be interesting...

Colts claim him and waive Matt Ryan, who ends up in SF reunited with Shanahan

Can't see why the Colts would look to claim Baker at the moment. They're in a position where they're not bothered about winning, and will surely allow the new head coach to choose their next QB?

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Baker's a good enough QB to be given another chance. The question is will it be first choice (as said, the 49ers or the Rams may roll the dice) or will he have to be content as a back up?

Interestingly Wilks, Darnold and Walker have been going out of their way to say how good he has been in the locker room.

Can't see why the Colts would look to claim Baker at the moment. They're in a position where they're not bothered about winning, and will surely allow the new head coach to choose their next QB?

Just to let Ryan go, out of respect for him and knowing nobody else is going to claim him and he's gone in 5 games anyway.

the idea would be to get Ryan to SF

Edited by TheFunPolice

Colts are a team being mentioned with Mayfield.

IMO Mayfield in= Ryan out. 

Matt Ryan knows the Shanahan offense, is ancient, gone anyway in Indy, and almost 100% no way going to be claimed because there is no "future" there

He's respected in Indy though by the coaches, and can still sling it on a better team. Maybe it's a way to give a good guy a shot to win somewhere else.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I was never a Mayfield fan or believer, but it sucks to see him get done so dirty by the Browns that if effectively ruins any shot at a pro career.

I'd almost feel bad, if he didnt already have millions of dollars to fall back on.

How exactly did the Browns do him dirty?  He was mediocre & they upgraded.  If anything it's all on Mayfield.  When the Browns got Watson, a smart player would have realized that Watson was getting suspended & his best opportunity would be to win the starting job in an offense he already knows, perform well enough to boost his market value & be a good soldier playing at least half the season.  Instead Baker immediately went into child mode & demanded to be traded.  Now when he loses his starting job he asks for his release.  Baker was & is the problem all along.  

Your post is similar to the ones who claim the Bills did EJ & JP dirty when in reality these guys didn't have the talent to start in the NFL. It seems that to some of you, it's always the team's fault, never the mediocre to bad QBs fault.  Until a team has the franchise QB, their current QB is always eligible to be replaced.  That's the reality of the NFL.  Baker, EJ, JP and the rest weren't good enough.  Nobody but themselves did these players wrong.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I was never a Mayfield fan or believer, but it sucks to see him get done so dirty by the Browns that if effectively ruins any shot at a pro career.

I'd almost feel bad, if he didnt already have millions of dollars to fall back on.

I feel like they surrounded him with talent and he was too wrapped up with being a star to actually work at being a good QB.

I very rarely wish failure on anyone, but seeing this little prick crash and burn makes me chuckle.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Don't you feel sweet redemption for your boy Geno? I always thought he had it in him. But man you were right on him

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not sure that was true. IIRC, Darnold was the #1 prospect, and Cleveland surprised the world by going with Baker. I think a lot of folks even had Rosen over Mayfield. But... Browns gonna Brown.

I would pay good money for the PPV stream to witness meetings in that QB room between Wilson and Mayfield.

You may be onto something there, the possibilities!!! 

You cant blame the Browns on his demise, he has no one to blame but himself.

I will say he did great commercials, beyond that I will be happy if I never see him play gain.  He reminds me of Johnny Manzel without a drug problem.

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

If Geno can have a career resurgence, so can Baker, although it doesn't seem likely. 

Carolina is a disaster, so it's tough to judge. So is Cleveland, BTW. 

We forget that Freddie Kitchens was a HC!

Did we also forget that Freddie Kitchens was a HC because Baker Mayfield chased Hue Jackson out?

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.