Panthers release Baker Mayfield

SCBills

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Wow.  He was pretty much everyone's #1 QB coming out, although there certainly was a lot of room to argue.  

I'm not sure that was true. IIRC, Darnold was the #1 prospect, and Cleveland surprised the world by going with Baker. I think a lot of folks even had Rosen over Mayfield. But... Browns gonna Brown.

1 minute ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

I vote Denver’s calls him. Stoke up the current dumpster fire there. He can’t be any worse than Russ is, even with the HC who couldn’t even find a play call (even if his auto warranty was about to expire). 

I would pay good money for the PPV stream to witness meetings in that QB room between Wilson and Mayfield.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Wow.  He was pretty much everyone's #1 QB coming out, although there certainly was a lot of room to argue.  

My sense of the guy is that he isn't great in the locker room.  I think he's too much of a me-first guy.   And although he's shown that he can be a pretty good playmaker, he's not a big-time thrower.  Obviously, he can't throw like Allen, but he can't throw like Mahomes, either, or like Burrows or Herbert.  If you don't make any eye-popping throws, it's pretty hard to be big success at QB in the NFL.

My take is that no one who's looking an answer at QB is likely to be interested.  Can't see why Houston would bet on Baker instead of someone in the draft, and why would you want in camp as your rookie is working his way in.  Colts shouldn't want to take a run an another retread.  Rivers then Ryan then Baker?  No.  Not the Ravens.   They have their #1, and Huntley fits better as a backup in their offense.  

The 49ers are a different situation.  They've been looking seriously at a Super Bowl run this season, and now they need someone who can run their offense.  They may or may not like Baker for the long run, but if they may very well want him for the short run.   

Look at it this way:  If someone told you at the start of the season that after week thirteen, you'd be 8-4, leading your division and in excellent position to make the playoffs (93%), and they asked you what you'd like to do from a personnel point of view, you'd say, "whatever I possibly can do to make myself better, this year."   That's why they went out and got McCaffrey.   So, here they are, staring at the playoffs, and needing a QB.   I think in that situation, you go get the very best QB you can find.  Colts might let you trade for Matt Ryan, but, no thank you.  Jets might give you Flacco or Zach Wilson.  Broncos might give you Russell Wilson.  Ryan Fitzpatrick might hang up his mike and come off the sideline.  The choices just aren't very good.  

Baker, you actually could plug and play and have a shot at winning ball games down the stretch.  By the time the playoffs start, he'd be integrated into the system.   He has the mobility Garropolo lacked, he's got an arm for at least the intermediate passing game.   He's a gamer.  

Trade deadline has long passed. Only options at this point are FA or waivers. I think you're stupid not to try to claim him if you're SF.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Trade deadline has long passed. Only options at this point are FA or waivers. I think you're stupid not to try to claim him if you're SF.

I wasn't thinking about the trade deadline.  

Obviously, there are rules about this stuff, but if I'm Mayfield I'm letting the teams who might claim me off waivers that I'm really not interested in going there.   I'd do everything I can to clear waivers or to make the 49ers with a waiver claim.  Heck, not only is SF thinking he's best hope out there, he's thinking, "the future doesn't even matter, I could go start for a playoff team with McCaffrey (who I know) and Samuel and a superb defense. "

Of course, McCaffrey may be telling Shanahan, "you don't want this guy." 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

You can't.  Even though he has flamed out you've got to kick the tires on Mayfield.  You need a guy who has played in big games, even if it's just to manage the game behind that defense.

Yep, SF has a highly talented and high performing D.  Seems a crime to waste it.  Had Jimmy G stayed healthy I saw them as going to the SB.  Hard to say now what will happen to them.

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I love this! First, the chump Rosen washs out, then the other chump -who was the #1 overall pick- gets booted from his 3rd team. Thankfully for him, department stores need stock room help this time of year.

🤣BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Love the Progressive commercials though

Honestly, if I was one of those NFC teams headed to the playoffs I would ***** him up just so he doesn't make it to SF. Shanahan may catch lightning in a bottle with Baker

23 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Good points about Houston. Having the #1 pick changes things, for sure.

I guess they could bring him in now to get familiar, re-sign him to a cheap deal, and have him around so the rookie isnt forced into action too quickly. The rest of that team stinks so they have a lot of building to do before any rookie QB would stand a chance of surviving. Mayfield could be that bridge, and compete.

But good points.

If they think the Baker Mayfield is going to turn into a great mentor for the rookie, then they should do it.

I think he would be a disaster in that role, and he may not want to do it in the first place.  He's an UFA next year.

If I was the Texans GM, I would pursue a Jacoby Brissett/Teddy Bridgewater type guy to mentor and play until the rookie is ready.

Heck, I'd pay Cooper Rush $3M before I would have Baker on my team!

As you can see, I'm not a big fan of the Baker Mayfield!  LOL.

• Like (+1) 1

Baker is not terrible, IMO. I don't think he's great but SF is a lot like the CLE team where he was at his best: run the ball, make a few accurate throws, play defense. 

Purdy is going to get hurt standing in there and taking shots, IMO.

Love the kid's courage, but there is a reason Brady drops into the fetal position the second pressure gets close. By December half the other teams QBs are out. 

Given the horrible state of QB play in the NFL, Superfly will get another shot somewhere in the league.  Panthers are just a complete mess, starting over with a complete teardown to the studs.  Yeech.  Must have been a coinflip to release either Mayfield or Darnold, since they both achieved abysmal levels of suckitude in NC. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.