Panthers release Baker Mayfield

SCBills

33 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Colts?  Texans?  He would be a veteran arm with league experience.  Believe he is from TX too so Houston makes sense.

I would think Houston would try to nap him seeing how they have nothing to lose. He can at least run the ball better than Mills. 

4 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

That's right...when people are stuck for the reason 'why', always try to blame freemasonry. 🤨

😁

"What's this? A nail from the 1600's? What does it mean and who put it there? Was it the Knights Templar hiding the Holy Grail or was it the Free Masons looking to relocate the Browns? Or... was it more sinister and evil than anyone could ever imagine?" 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. Nothing I saw out of Pudy last night suggests to me that he can be enough to get the 49ers where they want to go. 

That game yesterday should be worrying the hell out of Dolphin fans.  You can't stop an offense led by Mr. Irrelevant and Tua was exposed by a good defense.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Why would they take any chance to win games and give up the overall #1 pick?

Good points about Houston. Having the #1 pick changes things, for sure.

I guess they could bring him in now to get familiar, re-sign him to a cheap deal, and have him around so the rookie isnt forced into action too quickly. The rest of that team stinks so they have a lot of building to do before any rookie QB would stand a chance of surviving. Mayfield could be that bridge, and compete.

But good points.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. Nothing I saw out of Pudy last night suggests to me that he can be enough to get the 49ers where they want to go. 

I don’t think you were watching then.  He played very well, on what had to be next to zero practice time, against a really good D.  I was super impressed.  That WCO style is similar to what he ran in college, I think he could absolutely take the reins and do well. That said, they need a real back up plan right away.   Josh Johnson is a known commodity and he ain’t the guy you want.  I’d take Baker on, with the full disclosure he’s a complete desperation move IF Purdy starts to struggle.   Baker should be able to do more, but we all know he goes brain dead too, so it’s a bad situation for the 9ers no matter how you shape it.  It’s too bad the trade deadline is passed, they could have made a play at somebody, honestly wouldn’t have been shocked if they tried to grab Keenum had they had a chance, that ship has sailed.   This is the reality of the league, they made a push to win this year and lost their QB late in the season.  Big bummer.  If they could get their hands on a guy like Keenum, Tyrod, etc, you would feel like they might still have a shot. 

One last interesting option would have to be the list of Retired QBs at this point.  Who is in shape and would be willing to go for it, have to think Breese or Rivers, hey maybe even Fitz would be tempting for them and a shot for the player to get a ring.. will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Remember, a lot of his salary was handled by Cleveland this year in order to trade him:

"Mayfield’s deal, which runs through the upcoming 2022 campaign, is worth a total of $18.8 million. Of that total, the Browns have agreed to pay $10.5 million with the Panthers footing just $5 million of his base salary. The remaining $3.5 million, as agreed upon by Baker himself, has been trimmed per Mike Garofolo."

So I believe, at most, teams would be on the hook for whatever little amount remains of that $5M. We're well past halfway of the season, so you're looking at like $1.5-2M tops. Probably wont sign a QB for any less than that.

i don’t recall if this was the last year or if there was more.

1 minute ago, eball said:

That game yesterday should be worrying the hell out of Dolphin fans.  You can't stop an offense led by Mr. Irrelevant and Tua was exposed by a good defense.

Maybe. I also think it was a bit one of those days where they just played poorly. I mean I never bought them as a true contender so maybe I see it through that prism. 

6 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

"What's this? A nail from the 1600's? What does it mean and who put it there? Was it the Knights Templar hiding the Holy Grail or was it the Free Masons looking to relocate the Browns? Or... was it more sinister and evil than anyone could ever imagine?" 

Are we talking 'original Browns', or 'Browns 2.0'? 🤔

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Maybe. I also think it was a bit one of those days where they just played poorly. I mean I never bought them as a true contender so maybe I see it through that prism. 

Agree completely...I'm referring to their misguided fans and the media who always want to overreact to anything Miami does.

Wow.  He was pretty much everyone's #1 QB coming out, although there certainly was a lot of room to argue.  

My sense of the guy is that he isn't great in the locker room.  I think he's too much of a me-first guy.   And although he's shown that he can be a pretty good playmaker, he's not a big-time thrower.  Obviously, he can't throw like Allen, but he can't throw like Mahomes, either, or like Burrows or Herbert.  If you don't make any eye-popping throws, it's pretty hard to be big success at QB in the NFL.

My take is that no one who's looking an answer at QB is likely to be interested.  Can't see why Houston would bet on Baker instead of someone in the draft, and why would you want in camp as your rookie is working his way in.  Colts shouldn't want to take a run an another retread.  Rivers then Ryan then Baker?  No.  Not the Ravens.   They have their #1, and Huntley fits better as a backup in their offense.  

The 49ers are a different situation.  They've been looking seriously at a Super Bowl run this season, and now they need someone who can run their offense.  They may or may not like Baker for the long run, but if they may very well want him for the short run.   

Look at it this way:  If someone told you at the start of the season that after week thirteen, you'd be 8-4, leading your division and in excellent position to make the playoffs (93%), and they asked you what you'd like to do from a personnel point of view, you'd say, "whatever I possibly can do to make myself better, this year."   That's why they went out and got McCaffrey.   So, here they are, staring at the playoffs, and needing a QB.   I think in that situation, you go get the very best QB you can find.  Colts might let you trade for Matt Ryan, but, no thank you.  Jets might give you Flacco or Zach Wilson.  Broncos might give you Russell Wilson.  Ryan Fitzpatrick might hang up his mike and come off the sideline.  The choices just aren't very good.  

Baker, you actually could plug and play and have a shot at winning ball games down the stretch.  By the time the playoffs start, he'd be integrated into the system.   He has the mobility Garropolo lacked, he's got an arm for at least the intermediate passing game.   He's a gamer.  

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.