Would the Bengals Defensive Blueprint Work Against Bills/Allen

BillsGuyOutWest

23 hours ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

I live an hour north of Cincinnati so I’ll be there. That’s probably bad news for the bills, since I’ve been to several Bills games and they’ve lost every single game I’ve attended haha. I’ll ask around about the tailgating experience and where to go. It’s going to be a crazy atmosphere for sure with a lot on the line. 

Dude…maybe stay home.

Talk about selfish. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It’s really mixing in single high looks with a robber that gave mahomes fits in the bengals playoff game…not sure if they did the same this game I was watching Miami mostly.  

the tyreek hill loss was massive for the chiefs and nobody else has really stepped up yet.  Teams aren’t as concerned with mixing in some man against the chiefs anymore.  I don’t think Andy Reid has a lot of confidence in their ability to run the football either.  

Yet they are where they always are.  At the top of the division they will win easily.   The other three teams are all having disappointing seasons.  The broncos are on another level as far as that goes.   Hill is a loss but gent have Mahomes, they can beat any team with their roster even if it is a tick less talented.  

On 12/5/2022 at 2:08 AM, BillsGuyOutWest said:

The Bengals dropping 8 into coverage seemed to do the trick again today against the Chiefs, just like in the playoffs last year. 

Would this work against the Bills and Allen?

I say no, because:

1. Although the Bills aren’t exactly the Titans, they are still have more of an overall power run ability than the Chiefs. The Chiefs did better today with 140 yards rushing, but it never seemed like there was ever any real play action threat or consistency. The Bengals let them run between the 20s and then clamped down when they needed to. 

2. Mahomes is an amazing scrambler (particularly sideline to sideline), whereas Allen is most dangerous as vertical runner. Further, when Allen takes off he can bowl over guys in space. Basically, you are doubling the running threat against that look with Allen’s ability to take off. 

I think the Bengals defense, especially  with their ends and linebackers, could cause problems other ways, but I don’t see them using the same game plan against the Bills. 

Finally, if my memory is correct I feel like the 8 man coverage package was something Belichick would mix in earlier in Allen’s career until the Allen eventually figured it all out. 

We might find out January 2nd if elect to play that defense against us but let's beat the Jets first. 

Let's not kid ourselves. They don't dominate. Yes, the Bengals have beat the Chiefs their last 3 games but it's not like they beat the brakes off these guys. More times than not KC, like the Bills will shoot themselves in the foot. Whether it's a bad pass, turnover or coaching brain fart. 

I would not be surprised if they met in the playoffs and KC just takes it to them. 

I just hope we dont have to play both teams before the SB😉

22 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

But I was told by Keyshawn, Jay Will and Max that the Chiefs are more dangerous without Tyreek Hill? 

How is that possible? 

They weren't wrong. 

The Chiefs have the #1 Offense this year in points and yards.  They are averaging 29 ppg compared to 28 last season.  They are 9-3 after 12, 8-4 last year. 

36 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Yet they are where they always are.  At the top of the division they will win easily.   The other three teams are all having disappointing seasons.  The broncos are on another level as far as that goes.   Hill is a loss but gent have Mahomes, they can beat any team with their roster even if it is a tick less talented.  

I would argue this isn’t completely true…division winner sure but they have never had a road playoff game in mahomes’ career and this is the first danger they’ve really been in of not being the obvious 1 seed with a bye 

they’re also now 0-3 against the bengals in the last couple years and 1-2 against us…psychologically that should be a pretty big deal for them 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

No because the Bengals weakness is CB and the Chiefs used to have an elite WR they traded in conference during peak Mahomes that will beat them in the playoffs and it’s going to be hilarious that would typically take advantage of that but their current WRs are awful. 

If Mahomes doesn’t play well they lose.  If you let Butker kick it 55 yards outside on the road rather then go for it on 4th and 3 you lose.  If Kelce decides to fumble at a key time you lose.  

The Chiefs D is also average ours when healthy is elite.   

If healthy and Allen plays elite no one is beating us.  

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

this is the first danger they’ve really been in of not being the obvious 1 seed with a bye 

They did not have the one see or a bye last year

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

they’re also now 0-3 against the bengals in the last couple years and 1-2 against us…psychologically that should be a pretty big deal for them 

If the Bills coached the 13 second thing differently they would be 0-5 to the Bills and Bengals.  Most of that with Hill.   The narrative would be different  for usre.

35 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

They did not have the one see or a bye last year

If the Bills coached the 13 second thing differently they would be 0-5 to the Bills and Bengals.  Most of that with Hill.   The narrative would be different  for usre.

That’s true but there was really no threat of a potential playoff away game…the titans weren’t a great team.  

the narrative is already different as far as the bengals go…the bills part of it is debatable because you could say ‘well only the playoff games matter’ 

chiefs haven’t beaten the joe Burrow bengals once 

the bengals and bills missed plenty of opportunities and still came away with wins vs kc too…it’s not like they had to play a perfect game.

chiefs would’ve gotten spanked by Tennessee with tannehill playing also 

they just haven’t looked as sharp against the better afc teams as in years past 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

We just need to see it coming and hand the ball off more.

The run game has been effective lately, and Cook is starting to loosen up. I expect those cook touches, and our rushing numbers overall, to ramp up into and through the playoffs. This includes designed QB runs, which will come in the biggest moments in the biggest games, and of course whenever Josh is "feeling it".

On 12/5/2022 at 2:08 AM, BillsGuyOutWest said:

The Bengals dropping 8 into coverage seemed to do the trick again today against the Chiefs, just like in the playoffs last year. 

Would this work against the Bills and Allen?

I say no, because:

1. Although the Bills aren’t exactly the Titans, they are still have more of an overall power run ability than the Chiefs. The Chiefs did better today with 140 yards rushing, but it never seemed like there was ever any real play action threat or consistency. The Bengals let them run between the 20s and then clamped down when they needed to. 

2. Mahomes is an amazing scrambler (particularly sideline to sideline), whereas Allen is most dangerous as vertical runner. Further, when Allen takes off he can bowl over guys in space. Basically, you are doubling the running threat against that look with Allen’s ability to take off. 

I think the Bengals defense, especially  with their ends and linebackers, could cause problems other ways, but I don’t see them using the same game plan against the Bills. 

Finally, if my memory is correct I feel like the 8 man coverage package was something Belichick would mix in earlier in Allen’s career until the Allen eventually figured it all out. 

Almost certain that Josh sees these looks at some point.  I believe this is why the Bills want to run the football and have fast backs who can catch.  You have to make teams pay for defending the pass by nickel and diming your way downfield.  Much easier said than done but that’s the idea

The blueprint would/will work against the Bills IF Josh is not patient. IF he does not play smart. IF he forces the issue instead of taking the smart plays and checkdowns.

If Allen plays within himself and Dorsey doesn't abandon the run, if the Bills offense looks sort of like it did against the Pats -- leaning on the run game, taking the checkdowns, taking care of the football -- then the Bills will be fine.

It largely depends on Allen's willingness to take what the defense is giving him and to not give the ball away.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/6/2022 at 4:59 PM, Logic said:

The blueprint would/will work against the Bills IF Josh is not patient. IF he does not play smart. IF he forces the issue instead of taking the smart plays and checkdowns.

If Allen plays within himself and Dorsey doesn't abandon the run, if the Bills offense looks sort of like it did against the Pats -- leaning on the run game, taking the checkdowns, taking care of the football -- then the Bills will be fine.

It largely depends on Allen's willingness to take what the defense is giving him and to not give the ball away.

TL;DR

If a team does a thing, and Josh reacts poorly, that thing will work. But if that same team does the same thing, and Josh reacts well to it, then that thing will not work. 

jurassic park mind blown GIF by Spotify

1 minute ago, Mango said:

TL;DR

If a team does a thing, and Josh reacts poorly, that thing will work. But if that same team does the same thing, and Josh reacts well to it, then that thing will not work. 

jurassic park mind blown GIF by Spotify

If three lines is long enough for ya that ya need to do a "TL;DR" for it...I dunno what to tell ya, man.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/6/2022 at 4:59 PM, Logic said:

I think the bottom line is superior talent executing at a high level will always beat a great scheme executed by an opponent with lesser talent.

On 12/5/2022 at 3:34 PM, CSBill said:

The main thing the Bengals do against the Chiefs that most other teams somehow forget to do: They cover Kelce. Take him out of the mix and Mahomes and their offense is average.

Isn't that true for most NFL teams...Teams have bottled up Diggs and when Allen to Davis or McKenize has not existed, we have struggled mightily.  The Bills have to get Knox (a considerable weapon) involved in the passing game.  It opens up a lot for Davis and Diggs. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.