Would the Bengals Defensive Blueprint Work Against Bills/Allen

BillsGuyOutWest

10 hours ago, BillsGuyOutWest said:

The Bengals dropping 8 into coverage seemed to do the trick again today against the Chiefs, just like in the playoffs last year. 

Would this work against the Bills and Allen?

I say no, because:

1. Although the Bills aren’t exactly the Titans, they are still have more of an overall power run ability than the Chiefs. The Chiefs did better today with 140 yards rushing, but it never seemed like there was ever any real play action threat or consistency. The Bengals let them run between the 20s and then clamped down when they needed to. 

2. Mahomes is an amazing scrambler (particularly sideline to sideline), whereas Allen is most dangerous as vertical runner. Further, when Allen takes off he can bowl over guys in space. Basically, you are doubling the running threat against that look with Allen’s ability to take off. 

I think the Bengals defense, especially  with their ends and linebackers, could cause problems other ways, but I don’t see them using the same game plan against the Bills. 

Finally, if my memory is correct I feel like the 8 man coverage package was something Belichick would mix in earlier in Allen’s career until the Allen eventually figured it all out. 

#2 ended the discussion!! 

On defense we match up exceptionally well against the Bengals and the Chiefs match up very poorly. All the Bengals want to do is get you in man. This trend dates back to last year where they just torched man coverage  but struggled with zone. In an ideal world the Bengals will dispatch KC for us and we will dispatch the Bengals. We will see for sure at the end of the year but i just think we match up better against Cincinnati. Perhaps as well as anybody. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/joe-burrow-bengals-issues-when-facing-cover-2-defenses

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/joe-burrow-zac-taylor-concinnati-bengals-offensive-line/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsGuyOutWest said:

The Bengals dropping 8 into coverage seemed to do the trick again today against the Chiefs, just like in the playoffs last year. 

Would this work against the Bills and Allen?

I say no, because:

1. Although the Bills aren’t exactly the Titans, they are still have more of an overall power run ability than the Chiefs. The Chiefs did better today with 140 yards rushing, but it never seemed like there was ever any real play action threat or consistency. The Bengals let them run between the 20s and then clamped down when they needed to. 

2. Mahomes is an amazing scrambler (particularly sideline to sideline), whereas Allen is most dangerous as vertical runner. Further, when Allen takes off he can bowl over guys in space. Basically, you are doubling the running threat against that look with Allen’s ability to take off. 

I think the Bengals defense, especially  with their ends and linebackers, could cause problems other ways, but I don’t see them using the same game plan against the Bills. 

Finally, if my memory is correct I feel like the 8 man coverage package was something Belichick would mix in earlier in Allen’s career until the Allen eventually figured it all out. 

I think this type of defensive scheme is a big reason dorsey went after mckissic, cook, and Hines. I think he sees the 2 high he wants to let josh check down to speed backs all day. Get a speed back to beat a LB then the defense relies on CBs making open feild tackles.

3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I don't think it is ever as simple as dropping 8 into coverage and you can stop Mahomes.  There are a lot of nuances and changing things up and most importantly, whatever you do you need the players to do their job.  

It’s really mixing in single high looks with a robber that gave mahomes fits in the bengals playoff game…not sure if they did the same this game I was watching Miami mostly.  

the tyreek hill loss was massive for the chiefs and nobody else has really stepped up yet.  Teams aren’t as concerned with mixing in some man against the chiefs anymore.  I don’t think Andy Reid has a lot of confidence in their ability to run the football either.  

If I was defending Josh I would try to roll with 7 in coverage a spy and 3 in the pass rush. A spy would hurt Josh's ability to scramble and while you are only rushing 3 you have 7 in coverage to make it difficult to throw into a lot of coverage even if Josh has time. The difference would be I hope with the Bills that they have been developing a better traditional run game that can run down the throats of a 3-2-6 or 3-3-5 defense. I hope as Cook gets going and the O-line gets healthier the Bills can really turn up the heat on running down teams throats. We shall see but the 3 rush plus a spy with a lot of coverage is going to be something teams do try against Josh. 

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Let's hope McD uses the Cincinnati blueprint to beat KC again

13 seconds from being 3-0 against them last three games. We have a higher net points than Cinci does vs KC last three games.

Our blueprint seems just fine.

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If I was defending Josh I would try to roll with 7 in coverage a spy and 3 in the pass rush. A spy would hurt Josh's ability to scramble and while you are only rushing 3 you have 7 in coverage to make it difficult to throw into a lot of coverage even if Josh has time. The difference would be I hope with the Bills that they have been developing a better traditional run game that can run down the throats of a 3-2-6 or 3-3-5 defense. I hope as Cook gets going and the O-line gets healthier the Bills can really turn up the heat on running down teams throats. We shall see but the 3 rush plus a spy with a lot of coverage is going to be something teams do try against Josh. 

Give that to mahomes and burrow and sure, you might win. 

Allen sees 3 rushers and a spy on him, he's gonna go right at that spy and make him make a tackle.

Edited by The Wiz

22 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

On top of everything else mentioned, James Cook is starting to be a problem that teams may have to address in the near future.

He can burn you with a long run through a small hole and he can be right there, annoyingly, 4 yards up the field for a pass that possibly becomes 8 when it is done. 

(This is not snark) Once he learns to keep his balance with regularity, he’s going to be a real weapon. I’ve never seen a running back stumble and fall without contact as much as he has. I’m sure that it’s just a matter of adjusting his running posture, but I hope the coaches help him figure it out.

Once he does, he will be a true weapon for the offense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I think this type of defensive scheme is a big reason dorsey went after mckissic, cook, and Hines. I think he sees the 2 high he wants to let josh check down to speed backs all day. Get a speed back to beat a LB then the defense relies on CBs making open feild tackles.

You mean like the Pats got Marcus Jones in space vs. Hamlin. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.