The Chiefs are 1-5 against the Bills and Bengals this season and last

BillsFan619

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The Chiefs don't have much top end talent. It's Mahomes and Kelce and Chris Jones. No other real game changers. We have Allen and Diggs and Von Miller (hopefully we get him back), and a bunch of other guys that aren't elite but still up there in Milano, Poyer, Edmunds, Rousseau, Oliver. Their OL is overall better than ours but it's not elite by any means. Eventually the lack of top end talent catches up to you. It's why even a lot of their wins this year they've had to slug out right at the end and that kind of winning formula isn't sustainable.

The biggest issue I see with the Chiefs (and I said it prior to the season and still think it is true) is that their OL is built to be a power running OL and they are barely adequate in pass protection.  This would be fine if they chose to run, but like Buffalo they choose to pass 60+% of the time.

The Bills and the Bengals both got pressure rushing 3 and 4 guys through both the inside and edge on many pass rushes.  Without Hill, the Chiefs lack that one big explosive player and that has turned them into a team that must March down the field in 8-10+ play drives and with 7 or 8 guys in coverage that is tough to do.

The loss of Hill also means that when teams do decide to blitz (and I believe he has been blitzed at a higher rate than in the past) - there is not that punishment factor where they slip it out and Hill just takes it for 40 or 50 yards - now that is an 8 yard completion and the defense says - I can risk that if it leads to a couple incompletions and drive stops.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Andy Reid seems unwilling to call 15 consecutive runs if the defense warrants that play call. I don’t put this loss on Mahomes, I put it on Andy “Choke Artist” Reid. Think about this: he’s blown 5 seasons 2017-2021 and won only one Super Bowl (should have lost to SF) with the “best QB, TE and WR” duo in NFL history. Reid traded away a prime Hill preferring mediocre JuJu and Valdes-Scantling rather than go for a title. What a joke. 

yeah giving up the Cheetah was a bad move but didnt they have cap issues?

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The Chiefs don't have much top end talent. It's Mahomes and Kelce and Chris Jones. No other real game changers. We have Allen and Diggs and Von Miller (hopefully we get him back), and a bunch of other guys that aren't elite but still up there in Milano, Poyer, Edmunds, Rousseau, Oliver. Their OL is overall better than ours but it's not elite by any means. Eventually the lack of top end talent catches up to you. It's why even a lot of their wins this year they've had to slug out right at the end and that kind of winning formula isn't sustainable.

Largely agree with this. They do also have Thuney who is an elite guard (he was out yesterday and I get it guard is hardly the highest impact position.) We should have Tre too (if his recovery continues to step up) in the event that we have another meeting in the post season). When they won their Superbowl they had peak Honey Badger and Hill to add to Jones, Mahomes and Kelce. I say it regularly.... most Superbowl winners have 5 or 6 elite players when you look across the roster. The Chiefs have some other good players, Creed Humphrey (who is certainly trending towards elite but isn't quite there yet), Justin Reid, Trent Brown, Nick Bolton, L'Jarius Sneed.... but they are down on top end talent from their Superbowl winning peak.

It is why elite guys get paid what they do. Because you can't pick up a Tyreek Hill on every corner. I know the numbers are not that different, that's fine, it isn't the numbers you pay for.... it's the moments. The Hill catch and score against the Bills last January for instance. It is those moments when the lack of elite talent tends to show up. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MPL said:

4 straight AFC championship games and only 1 super bowl ring... sheesh, they're only like 1 win better than the 1990s Bills. 

So far Mahomes is basically Dan Marino if he beat the 49ers in '85. We will see what the future holds for the chiefs. The crowning of them and especially Mahomes as the new GOAT since year 2 is crazy.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

yeah giving up the Cheetah was a bad move but didnt they have cap issues?

No. Mahomes’s contract isn’t totally cap friendly. Hill wanted a new deal, but the Chiefs wanted to waste the final few seasons of prime Kelce. Now age 33 Kelce is incapable of carrying the entire burden of the pass offense, necessitating the new wrinkles we have witnessed from KC’s offense. Outside of dominant 3rd Qtrs where Reid figures out counters to defenses the Chiefs are not scoring at 2018-2021 levels. 

22 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

No. Mahomes’s contract isn’t totally cap friendly. Hill wanted a new deal, but the Chiefs wanted to waste the final few seasons of prime Kelce. Now age 33 Kelce is incapable of carrying the entire burden of the pass offense, necessitating the new wrinkles we have witnessed from KC’s offense. Outside of dominant 3rd Qtrs where Reid figures out counters to defenses the Chiefs are not scoring at 2018-2021 levels. 

They are the #1 offense in points and yards.

They are scoring more points per drive than 2021. 2020, 2019.

On 12/5/2022 at 9:34 AM, What a Tuel said:

So far Mahomes is basically Dan Marino if he beat the 49ers in '85. We will see what the future holds for the chiefs. The crowning of them and especially Mahomes as the new GOAT since year 2 is crazy.

They are the Dynasty of... one.

This really is a pretty wild stat that they are 1-5 against the top two teams in the AFC. Needing a miracle to get that one win. Too their credit at least all of the games except for the regular season loss last year to the Bills were close games coming down to the final minute. 

I'd like to see the Bills avoid having to play both KC or Cincinnati till the conference title game. Bills need that to fall into their laps with the seeding.

On 12/5/2022 at 8:58 AM, GunnerBill said:

Largely agree with this. They do also have Thuney who is an elite guard (he was out yesterday and I get it guard is hardly the highest impact position.) We should have Tre too (if his recovery continues to step up) in the event that we have another meeting in the post season). When they won their Superbowl they had peak Honey Badger and Hill to add to Jones, Mahomes and Kelce. I say it regularly.... most Superbowl winners have 5 or 6 elite players when you look across the roster. The Chiefs have some other good players, Creed Humphrey (who is certainly trending towards elite but isn't quite there yet), Justin Reid, Trent Brown, Nick Bolton, L'Jarius Sneed.... but they are down on top end talent from their Superbowl winning peak.

It is why elite guys get paid what they do. Because you can't pick up a Tyreek Hill on every corner. I know the numbers are not that different, that's fine, it isn't the numbers you pay for.... it's the moments. The Hill catch and score against the Bills last January for instance. It is those moments when the lack of elite talent tends to show up. 

This is one of the reasons I don’t worry about the Dolphins in the playoffs. Tua can be very effective when everything is going to plan. Nothing goes to plan in the playoffs. Elite talents can make plus when things break down. We saw on Sunday what Tua looks like when things are going well 

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

This is one of the reasons I don’t worry about the Dolphins in the playoffs. Tua can be very effective when everything is going to plan. Nothing goes to plan in the playoffs. Elite talents can make plus when things break down. We saw on Sunday what Tua looks like when things are going well 

Yea, I'm not totally writing Tua off on one awful game.... it can happen. But my gut says you are dead right about him. If a similar meltdown repeats the next time he is under that pressure behind and being harassed then we have the answer. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.