Jimmy Garappolo carted off in SF, broken foot, no surgery, 7-8 weeks

Beck Water

• Beck Water changed the title to Jimmy Garappolo carted off in SF, broken foot = surgery, out for season
7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

49'ers coaching must be outstanding (or the Dolphins defense should be brought to task), when a third string QB (7th round rookie) plays like that. 

Brock Purdy was actually really good at Iowa State. I watched some of their games because of all the table-pounding for Breece Hall. He easily could go on a Zappe-like run and lead SF to the playoffs. This is especially true because the Shanahan system doesn't demand much from QBs.

17 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

49'ers coaching must be outstanding (or the Dolphins defense should be brought to task), when a third string QB (7th round rookie) plays like that. 

TBH, I think the Dolphins offense is kind of built on the same model:  Put top-notch talent around the QB, and have a QB who can do just enough with it to win.  If the guy can make the reads and distribute the ball, he can win.

Bill Belicheck seems to be trying for the same model with Mac Jones, only it works better when you have an actual NFL level OC and offensive coaching talent driving the bus, plus, IMHO Jones needs an Attitude Adjustment

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

Brock Purdy was actually really good at Iowa State. I watched some of their games because of all the table-pounding for Breece Hall. He easily could go on a Zappe-like run and lead SF to the playoffs. This is especially true because the Shanahan system doesn't demand much from QBs.

I have no idea who Brock Purdy is, but no way should he have played like that vs. Miami.  Their D blew it.

• Beck Water changed the title to Jimmy Garappolo carted off in SF, broken foot, no surgery, 7-8 weeks

That's a HUGE psychological boost for SF. They will have their starting QB back for the playoff run. 

No matter what they say, these guys are human. Going from SB favorite to "we believe in our rookie 7th rounder" had to suck mentally. 

Totally different now. Now it's just a typical injury. Jimmy G is out, but he will be back, so next man up and find a way, and get him back for the big games. 

Come to think of it, this type of thing has happened a few times this season, where a player is "done for the year" then a few days later it's a handful of weeks, or even fewer. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

On 12/5/2022 at 2:18 PM, buffaloboyinATL said:

I will be amazed if Jimmy G is not on the Patriots next season.

And why would he want to go there? To have Matt Patricia call plays for him? To deal with the my-way-or-the-highway Bill Belicheck patriot way? Don't be so sure he wants to return.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

That's a HUGE psychological boost for SF. They will have their starting QB back for the playoff run. 

No matter what they say, these guys are human. Going from SB favorite to "we believe in our rookie 7th rounder" had to suck mentally. 

Totally different now. Now it's just a typical injury. Jimmy G is out, but he will be back, so next man up and find a way, and get him back for the big games. 

Definitely great news for the locker room, but he might not be back for their playoff run.  Likely won’t be back for the first round of the playoffs (getting a 1st rd bye is unlikely).  There’s a chance he’s not ready for the 2nd rd.  A highly immobile QB coming off of a broken foot playing with against the dallas or Philly pass rush.  

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Definitely great news for the locker room, but he might not be back for their playoff run.  Likely won’t be back for the first round of the playoffs (getting a 1st rd bye is unlikely).  There’s a chance he’s not ready for the 2nd rd.  A highly immobile QB coming off of a broken foot playing with against the dallas or Philly pass rush.  

If they say 7 weeks there's an outside chance it could be 6 too. Probably tough to say exactly at this point.

But I agree... him facing off against those pass rushes could be bad news. But we also don't know how Purdy will fare. Guy is standing in and delivering, but that's what gets guys hurt too. He might not make it to the playoffs himself. He took some serious shots vs the Dolphins. 

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

If they say 7 weeks there's an outside chance it could be 6 too. Probably tough to say exactly at this point.

But I agree... him facing off against those pass rushes could be bad news. But we also don't know how Purdy will fare. Guy is standing in and delivering, but that's what gets guys hurt too. He might not make it to the playoffs himself. He took some serious shots vs the Dolphins. 

They say 7-8 weeks, so it could be 9 as well.  

i hear ya- your point is the optimism involved with knowing that it’s possible that he returns. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.