Jimmy Garappolo carted off in SF, broken foot, no surgery, 7-8 weeks

Beck Water

1 minute ago, Charles Romes said:

I don’t think you can just sign a retired qb at this stage where the qb’s last team owns rights and would have right to compensation. That would be a trade. 

Not sure, I would be intrigued if the league would allow the former team to release his rights. 

Probably wouldn't but it would be intrigued to see it play out.

Purdy looked good enough to play in a Shanahan system btw.

19 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Very true, and yet Shanahan's record with the 49'ers is 61-58. :wacko:

we do the game "Bellichek without Brady" all the time.  Shanahan has never had a top end QB. A .500 record is pretty solid with the QBs Shanahan has done. Do five years of "McDermott without Allen".  Not sure anyone would expect it to be better than 61-58

3 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

I think you’re being a bit naive if you think Miami isn’t a good team.

Do I think they are as good as the bills? No.

But they are a very solid team and I would say they are 4th in the afc behind bills, chiefs and bengals 

I never said they were not a good team. They have shown that they are this year, especially with all the weapons that they have there was some comments made about how they’ve been winning games. I am pointing out that the teams that they are playing or not exactly up to par.

today they took a loss from a good team. They didn’t even have it starting quarterback for the whole game.

6 hours ago, DasNootz said:

Matt Barkley or another PS QB can be signed as a backup.  I think they keep Purdy as the starter.

Barkley would be a good guess.  He was with the Niners thru the 2017 preseason.

Jacob Eason is on their practice squad.

13 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Barkley would be a good guess.  He was with the Niners thru the 2017 preseason.

Jacob Eason is on their practice squad.

They already signed Josh Johnson off of the Broncos practice squad.  Talk about a career journeyman.  

So what are the options?

Trade deadline is past.

Could a team release a QB under contract without them going through waivers?

Are there any decent QBs on any practice squad?

Any one decent on the spring football leagues who could be signed?

Retired players: What are the NFL rules? Does the previous team they were under contract to at retirement have the rights to them?

Can a team release those rights? Would they be subject to waivers? Would retired QBs have to be free agents at retirement to have the ability to unretire and sign with another team after the trade deadline has passed?

Can NFL teams legally make under the table deals about next year's transactions as quid pro quo without penalties?

Exactly what decent QB with anything possibly left in the tank could SF sign for the playoffs?

4 hours ago, simpleman said:

So what are the options?

Trade deadline is past.

Could a team release a QB under contract without them going through waivers?

Are there any decent QBs on any practice squad?

Any one decent on the spring football leagues who could be signed?

Retired players: What are the NFL rules? Does the previous team they were under contract to at retirement have the rights to them?

Can a team release those rights? Would they be subject to waivers? Would retired QBs have to be free agents at retirement to have the ability to unretire and sign with another team after the trade deadline has passed?

Can NFL teams legally make under the table deals about next year's transactions as quid pro quo without penalties?

Exactly what decent QB with anything possibly left in the tank could SF sign for the playoffs?

At this point I'd roll with the guy that already knows the playbook.

13 hours ago, DasNootz said:

Matt Barkley or another PS QB can be signed as a backup.  I think they keep Purdy as the starter.

They signed some Broncos’ back up stiff.

Purdy is the man going forward. The D is a monstah… but… he’ll have to get a lot better. 4 x in the Red Zone… 3 FGs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.