So, this guy Allen.. who’d have believed what he would become?

Chandler#81

I was just hoping he'd be a top-10 QB and with a great D we'd have a shot at one Super Bowl. I never would have believed he'd be in the conversation for best in the league and giving us an opportunity to be a dynasty and/or win multiple championships. And I was always bracing for a regression (being a Bills fan, you're taught to expect the worst) until maybe last year. Glad I was wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is no secret I hated the draft pick. But I have thought he was ahead of schedule almost ever since he stepped on a fielf for us. The question was where was the ceiling. I am not sure if we have quite seen it yet. 

You’ve also said that josh is not the guy after some games lol going back a few seasons 

to Be fair

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

I remember watching his highlights at Wyoming and being pretty amazed at some of the throws he would hit. The completion percentage gave me some pause because the narrative had always been accuracy is rarely improved on. But I was good when the Bills drafted him because I felt like they were at least swinging for the fences on the guy who had the biggest boom potential of any player in that 2018 draft.

During his first season I always came back to the word "gamer" to describe him. You could see he had that fire to do whatever it took to win no matter how bad they were down. I figured he'd be the kind of QB where you'd have to live with some miscues and wild throws/plays but the tradeoff would be him hitting on some of those crazy plays and finding a way to hang around in games and give them a chance to pull out a win in the end. He's done such an awesome job in evolving and elevating his game every year, the progression is remarkable. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

When?

There is one game I really criticised him after. The Browns game in 2019. That is it. And even then I didn't say he wasn't the guy. 

I mean I’d Have to go through thousands of your posts lol  Maybe you didn’t say he wasn’t the bill starter

But you certainly have said Josh Allen Was not going to be a top tier quarterback after some games

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I mean I’d Have to go through thousands of your posts lol 

But you certainly have said Josh Allen Was not going to be a top tier quarterback after some games

I dispute that. Genuinely the only game after which I had and expressed doubts that he could ever make it was that Cleveland game and that was after being all in on him the early part of that year. After the Browns I was like "maybe that was premature". That is the only game where I think you will find me taking a negative long term prognosis of Josh. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I dispute that. Genuinely the only game after which I had and expressed doubts that he could ever make it was that Cleveland game and that was after being all in on him the early part of that year. After the Browns I was like "maybe that was premature". That is the only game where I think you will find me taking a negative long term prognosis of Josh. 

Well it could’ve been that one game gunner 

I just remember a game where you basically went from hot to  pretty cold quick 

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Well it could’ve been that one game gunner 

I just remember a game where you basically went from hot to cold quick 

I hated how he played that game. It came a few weeks after the New England turnover game and he got all conservative and cautious and the Browns game was the nadir of that. There were receivers running open all over the field that night and Josh held the ball forever. 

McDermott actually called him in the week after that game and told him he had to play more fearless. 

But even after that game I didn't say "he isn't the guy" what I did do was row back a view I had expressed a few weeks previous that we had definitely found the guy. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I hated how he played that game. It came a few weeks after the New England turnover game and he got all conservative and cautious and the Browns game was the nadir of that. There were receivers running open all over the field that night and Josh held the ball forever. 

McDermott actually called him in the week after that game and told him he had to play more fearless. 

But even after that game I didn't say "he isn't the guy" what I did do was row back a view I had expressed a few weeks previous that we had definitely found the guy. 

That’s basically what I remember 

16 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

I remember holding him right after he was born, thinking how great is this kid going to be at QB. I quietly whispered “You’ll be a Bill some day”. 

I know you're lying because I was part of the team that CRISPR edited him to be a GMO-engineered lab-grown scientifically-enhanced QB prototype unit.

• Haha (+1) 2

I had hoped Allen would sit more of his rookie year because he obviously needed add'l coaching and training and it was disappointing he had to learn from the likes of Nathan Peterman and the Bills had some really bad receivers.  Josh had to learn from the school of hard knocks, but he was able to see his own weaknesses and he got add'l help in the off seasons and really has honed his skills.

37 minutes ago, dakrider said:

I had hoped Allen would sit more of his rookie year because he obviously needed add'l coaching and training and it was disappointing he had to learn from the likes of Nathan Peterman and the Bills had some really bad receivers.  Josh had to learn from the school of hard knocks, but he was able to see his own weaknesses and he got add'l help in the off seasons and really has honed his skills.

Kind of makes you think - has this approach worked for anybody recently? I know it worked for Aaron Rodgers but 15 years ago isn't recently of course. Seems that any of the recent young QBs that have had any success were thrown right in (Allen, Burrow, Tua, Fields, Herbert, etc.) On the other hand I can't think of a single one that was "developed" for a year plus. If anything, for the past couple of decades or so it seems like if a QB doesn't start right away that controversy just brews and then they eventually don't deliver.

18 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I remember seeing him play for Reedley college and thinking "this kid is special, he's going to be a great one in the future".

I wish I had some proof of this because I have a feeling no one will believe me

It’s only because you were at the Houston comeback game in ‘92 too! 🤓

(I kid, I kid)

25 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Kind of makes you think - has this approach worked for anybody recently? I know it worked for Aaron Rodgers but 15 years ago isn't recently of course. Seems that any of the recent young QBs that have had any success were thrown right in (Allen, Burrow, Tua, Fields, Herbert, etc.) On the other hand I can't think of a single one that was "developed" for a year plus. If anything, for the past couple of decades or so it seems like if a QB doesn't start right away that controversy just brews and then they eventually don't deliver.

Arguably Mahomes got to develop on the bench behind Alex Smith before he was ever thrown in, and you could do a lot worse for a mentor than Smith. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.