So, this guy Allen.. who’d have believed what he would become?

Chandler#81

16 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

The love for Rudolph around here was incredibly odd-glad the Bills didn’t listen to TBS at that time!

Fans and professional mock drafters fall into a trap where they compare prospects in a given draft to each other. If you looked only at college stats and physical traits, Rudolph compared quite well to the others. That’s how people in here started advocating for Roquon Smith at 12 and Rudolph in the second. In terms of capital in the 2018 draft, that would have been a savvy move. But Beane knew that we need a franchise-changing player and took a BIG swing. BTW, I wanted to find a way to pick Darnold. If not him, I wanted to trade back from 12 and take Lamar. That’s why I’m posting on a message board.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Fans and professional mock drafters fall into a trap where they compare prospects in a given draft to each other. If you looked only at college stats and physical traits, Rudolph compared quite well to the others. That’s how people in here started advocating for Roquon Smith at 12 and Rudolph in the second. In terms of capital in the 2018 draft, that would have been a savvy move. But Beane knew that we need a franchise-changing player and took a BIG swing. BTW, I wanted to find a way to pick Darnold. If not him, I wanted to trade back from 12 and take Lamar. That’s why I’m posting on a message board.

I only post on a message board because back in high school in hurt my hip so colleges told me I’d never be able to get a D1 GM scholarship. If I hadn’t gotten hurt, I would definitely be a GM in the NFL right now 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

By the end of year two , I used the term “ Franchise Quarterback “ and caught a decent amount of flak.

The point where I actually started to Billieve my own BS: Cowboys Thanksgiving game. 
    When I was sure: The First Dolphin’s game in 2020! Josh put on a throwing clinic!!!! Crazy TD throws to the front of the EZ, to the back of the EZ. He had that throw to Diggs, completely double covered ( hero ball) and Diggs was the only one left standing with the ball. He had the Angry run when he ran over a couple defenders Cam Newton style.

MY BOY

After the Minnesota game his rookie year I knew he had IT

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I had no clue he would be this good obviously, but he was my pick just because of Buffalo's weather and his arm strength. Figured he had the best chance.

My 2nd pick was Mason Rudolph, so I'm pretty happy we didn't get to option 2 on my board lol.

Not a single team that picked 1-6 wouldn't take Josh in that scenario now.

Absolutely!  He’s easily the #1 overall pick of that draft. I’d assume 32/32 teams would agree on that. 

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I remember seeing him play for Reedley college and thinking "this kid is special, he's going to be a great one in the future".

I wish I had some proof of this because I have a feeling no one will believe me

the problem isn’t thinking he was special but that near literally no one would have singled him out to be THIS at that stage. Like my boss calls about 15 guys a year future nfl qbs, so him getting one right isn’t noteworthy. 

1 hour ago, wakingfane said:

I remember rubbing the cold ultrasound lube over his Mom's belly when she was pregnant with him and seeing him do things... things I've never seen a fetus do before... I had some inkling then...

I can’t believe you are talking about lubing Josh’s mom.  You sick bastard!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I remember seeing him play for Reedley college and thinking "this kid is special, he's going to be a great one in the future".

I wish I had some proof of this because I have a feeling no one will believe me

I believe you.

I remember meeting his mom when she was 8 months pregnant with Josh and I saw her tummy moved when baby Josh leaped over the placenta.

• Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

I remember holding him right after he was born, thinking how great is this kid going to be at QB. I quietly whispered “You’ll be a Bill some day”. 

Thanks Mom

I wouldn't have predicted that Allen would be this good because who wants to get their hopes up like that.  But watching his Wyoming film, you saw a guy playing for a terrible team against terrible opponents who had obviously had never been seriously coached . . . with otherworldly physical talent.  His ability to extend plays and throw off platform jumped off the film, and that's something that you can't coach.  Everybody made it sound like he was just some lunk with a big arm and nothing else, and that was just empirically wrong.  The Josh we know now was always there on film.

Now if you had asked me back in 2018 to estimate the probability that Allen would be a Jamarcus Russell-like bust, I would have put those odds at around 30-40%.  Allen was certainly a high-variance, swing-for-the-fences type pick.  Lots of guys like this are incapable of making the jump to the NFL.  The film never showed Allen's dedication to his craft, his coachability, or his leadership in the locker room, for example.  We (fans, not the FO) had no real way of knowing his mental side.  But the potential was always there for all to see.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Browns / Jets / Broncos / Colts want a redo ...

image.thumb.png.c89eb1d7d342e78a0bb58df0cc1b924f.png

I'd say Giants too as Barkley is good but Josh has been better.

I'll admit on 2018 draft day I posted Wrong Josh. Even after his first two seasons at best he'd be a top 15 QB.

Edited by The Jokeman

15 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'd say Giants too as Barkley is good but Josh has been better.

I'll admit on 2018 draft day I posted Wrong Josh. Even after his first two seasons at best he'd be a top 15 QB.

Barkley is a good player, no doubt.  But QB is the most important position on the team, and at the time the Giants picked Barkley it seemed pretty clear that Eli was washed.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I had no idea he’d be this good.  I wanted Rosen.  Thank God I’m not the GM.

LOL likewise.  I was also intrigued by Mason Rudolph.  Thank God I'm not the GM, either.

Edited by Beck Water

Said it many times before that prior to the draft I wanted Rosen and really didn't want Josh or anyone else.  When he was picked I rooted for him because he was a Bill but during his first 2 years,despite seeing glimpses of greatness (I thought the Vikings game was his coming out party) but nothing to say he was the guy.  Then year 3 hit and it was "we've finally found our guy." 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Can we make sure Josh has a Josh Allen Jr so we can pick him In 21 years?  We would have to endure a few years of hardship but it will be worth it 

Sometimes works, i.e., the Manning family.

Often doesn't work, see innumerable politicians.  A lot of descendants wouldn't make a hair on the ass of the parent generations.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.