Deon “Primetime” Sanders to Colorado

djp14150

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

we are talking about what will happen in Colorado.

Nebraska has no chance either.

You clearly don't know Nebraska football. They made a mistake 7 years ago firing Bo Pelini. Well, it was Frank Solich before that. They've had five bad seasons in a row. They are one of the best programs in college football history. Blue bloods that had a bad stretch, that made it back... 

OU, USC, Tenn, UGA, Alabama, Notre Dame, etc. 

Nebraska has won FIVE national titles and sell out every game. They will bounce back. 

10 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

You clearly don't know Nebraska football. They made a mistake 7 years ago firing Bo Pelini. Well, it was Frank Solich before that. They've had five bad seasons in a row. They are one of the best programs in college football history. Blue bloods that had a bad stretch, that made it back... 

Nebraska has won FIVE national titles and sell out every game. They will bounce back. 

I'm not sure I agree with this.  Nebraska hasn't been truly great since option football was a thing.  They have been ranked in the top 10 for 4 weeks in the last 12 years.  They have a history, but the landscape of college football has changed a great deal since then.  If they make the right coaching hires they can obviously rebound, but I don't think it's sure thing in saying they will bounce back.  

59 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

What am I missing?

5 years?  They have had 11 winning seasons in 20 years--only 3 double digit years.  

Bo Pelini had one team finish in the top 15 (the only Nebraska team to do so in 20 years).  His teams lost 4 of 7 bowl games.  But firing that bum was a HUGE mistake!!

The last time Nebraska won a national title, players wore huge shoulder pads under fishnet belly shirts.  The game has left them behind.  Their only chance of success is if USC, UCLA and Oregon leave the Conference.  

Maybe Nebraska hired Matt Rhule because of the great things they saw him do (particularly at the QB position) in Carolina!!  

Speaking of QB, Casey Thompson for another year?!  Or maybe it's time to see what Chubba Purdy's made of?

And of course those home games sell out.  What else would these people be up to on a Saturday afternoon in Lincoln?  Food court at the Gateway Mall?

On 12/5/2022 at 4:32 PM, Mr. WEO said:

if they *CAN* why haven’t they for decades? 

In Colorado's case, they went cheap on coaches who couldn't recruit but wouldn't jump ship for a better offer.  

In Nebraska's case, they've only been crap since 2015 with two nightmare coaching hires in Mike Riley and Scott Frost.  Both Riley and Frost knew the game but couldn't recruit.  

Sanders and Rhule have the recruiting talent, and that's why I expect both programs will be a lot better.  

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, dpberr said:

In Colorado's case, they went cheap on coaches who couldn't recruit but wouldn't jump ship for a better offer.  

In Nebraska's case, they've only been crap since 2015 with two nightmare coaching hires in Mike Riley and Scott Frost.  Both Riley and Frost knew the game but couldn't recruit.  

Sanders and Rhule have the recruiting talent, and that's why I expect both programs will be a lot better.  

What does Rhule say when he’s sitting in that top prospect kids living room about Nebraska?  And Sanders?  

Come help me in a rebuild project? 

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

What does Rhule say when he’s sitting in that top prospect kids living room about Nebraska?  And Sanders?  

I'm not sold on Rhule either, he wasn't "all that" at Baylor. 

But again, I said and I still feel this way... Nebraska CAN come back. I never said it was a sure thing they'll be an Alabama again. 

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I'm not sold on Rhule either, he wasn't "all that" at Baylor. 

But again, I said and I still feel this way... Nebraska CAN come back. I never said it was a sure thing they'll be an Alabama again. 

I guess if your argument is now that the likelihood of Nebraska rejoining Power 5's elite teams is somewhere just above impossible, then sure, I would have to agree with that. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I guess if your argument is now that the likelihood of Nebraska rejoining Power 5's elite teams is somewhere just above impossible, then sure, I would have to agree with that. 

My argument has never changed. I said blue bloods have come back from bad stretches... many do. Most programs have slumps and rebound with the right combo at the helm. I'll go back to Oklahoma State. No real football history aside from the Jimmy Johnson then about half of the Pat Jones era (with Barry and Thurman both in the backfield). Bring in the right coach, (again) they have now gone 145-61 since 2007 under Mike Gundy, 10th best record in college football over that span. 

If Kansas State can become a dangerous team under a Bill Snyder (I believe KSU was the worst team in college football up to his hiring, wins/losses) or Chris Klieman in freaking Manhattan, Kansas.... or Gundy in Stillwater, Oklahoma... not a stretch to believe someone can't do it at Nebraska again.  

26 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

My argument has never changed. I said blue bloods have come back from bad stretches... many do. Most programs have slumps and rebound with the right combo at the helm. I'll go back to Oklahoma State. No real football history aside from the Jimmy Johnson then about half of the Pat Jones era (with Barry and Thurman both in the backfield). Bring in the right coach, (again) they have now gone 145-61 since 2007 under Mike Gundy, 10th best record in college football over that span. 

If Kansas State can become a dangerous team under a Bill Snyder (I believe KSU was the worst team in college football up to his hiring, wins/losses) or Chris Klieman in freaking Manhattan, Kansas.... or Gundy in Stillwater, Oklahoma... not a stretch to believe someone can't do it at Nebraska again.  

Again, if you want to put this under "hey, anything can happen", then I can't disagree with that.  I just don't know how you sell this to a top recruit other than to say: "you won't be playing for at least a year in Alabama/OSU"

Unless you are a lineman or maybe a DB, why would a player (especially an Offensive skill position) with NFL aspirations want to be in Nebraska?

On 12/6/2022 at 10:41 AM, Mr. WEO said:

They reached #2 this season.  

Colorado has had 3 winning season in 20 years.  

No one cares about Heisman trophies.  And as you point out, Tenn has put 40 guys in the NFL with  no national titles.  Why would these players now flock to a place like Colorado just to play for Sanders and a program perhaps years away from relevance?   Which of the top players in the country is going to say "I want to join Coach Sanders in Colorado so I can help him rebuild that program?"

That didn't take much--certainly orders of magnitude less of a heavy lift than pulling up the chronic PAC 12 bottom dweller.  

1). There's not much evidence Sanders is Mike Gundy.  His JSU stint proved more HBCU players would go to Sanders than other SWAC schools. Lets see how many top new recruits he get to Colorado next year. 

2). There's no billion dollar donor in Colorado.  Their biggest donation in history to their Athletics Dept was in 2021 for 5.5 million (with an "m"). 

Couldn't you say this about JSU and Travis Hunter?

47 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Couldn't you say this about JSU and Travis Hunter?

Hunter signing with JSU was absolutely unprecedented.  He turned down Bama, etc because he wouldn't be starting.  As it turned out, he wasn't exactly lighting the SWAC on fire last year.  But he figured he would play right away with Sanders on  team that ran the conference vs not quite Big 10 competition.

36 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hunter signing with JSU was absolutely unprecedented.  He turned down Bama, etc because he wouldn't be starting.  As it turned out, he wasn't exactly lighting the SWAC on fire last year.  But he figured he would play right away with Sanders on  team that ran the conference vs not quite Big 10 competition.

What do you mean “ran the conference?” They had one good year.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Deion takes on the persona of a preacher at the drop of a hat. That means a lot when he recruited at JSU, because he claimed to be in coaching for a greater cause, and one that means a lot to many people. The HBSU’s have immensely powerful history, and inspiring stories. Sanders used emotional appeal to become a great recruiter. He isn’t going to have that at Colorado. There’s no reason why that top recruit won’t choose Oregon or USC. How many of these kids even know who Deion is? 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Deion takes on the persona of a preacher at the drop of a hat. That means a lot when he recruited at JSU, because he claimed to be in coaching for a greater cause, and one that means a lot to many people. The HBSU’s have immensely powerful history, and inspiring stories. Sanders used emotional appeal to become a great recruiter. He isn’t going to have that at Colorado. There’s no reason why that top recruit won’t choose Oregon or USC. How many of these kids even know who Deion is? 

Everyone knows him.  Maybe some decent recruits will commit to rebuilding a moribund program.  If he doesn’t deliver quickly, they are heading to the portal.  

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

What do you mean “ran the conference?” They had one good year.

12-0 last year.  

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Everyone knows him.  Maybe some decent recruits will commit to rebuilding a moribund program.  If he doesn’t deliver quickly, they are heading to the portal.  

12-0 last year.  

That’s fair, he’ll get decent recruits, but I don’t know if it’ll be enough to turn Colorado around. It doesn’t take as many good recruits to turn around a program who competes at a lower level. I’m admittedly bias, in that Deion annoyed me as a player. Prime is all about Prime, and I’m not convinced that’s a good trait in a leader. I think that trait is going to catch up to him eventually as a coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

12-0 last year.  

Travis Hunter didn’t commit before 12-0.

I think Colorado is a tall task, but Deion has already demonstrated an ability to get some solid recruits despite not captaining a

historic program. He got the #1 recruit after one good year at JSU. I think he might make a wave or two at a bigger and better school.

On 12/6/2022 at 6:56 PM, Mr. WEO said:

I have no clue about Rhule but if Prime Time is sitting in your living room, possibly one of the most recognizable football players in the history of the game does he really have to say anything?

On 12/7/2022 at 9:55 AM, ArdmoreRyno said:

All valid points

But Coach Schneider might be the most underrated coach in football history… Not just college football or pro football

In the history of football

12 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I have no clue about Rhule but if Prime Time is sitting in your living room, possibly one of the most recognizable football players in the history of the game does he really have to say anything?

He would only need to walk into the room and they would sign?

lol

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35227005/colorado-deion-sanders-land-no-8-rb-2023-class

Deion Sanders did not waste much time before he started recruiting as the new head coach at Colorado.

Sanders added his first ESPN 300 commitment Saturday, when four-star running back Dylan Edwards announced that he will join the Buffaloes.

Edwards is a 5-foot-8, 155-pound running back from Derby, Kansas, ranked No. 156 overall in the 2023 class. He had been committed to Kansas State early on in his recruitment then flipped to Notre Dame before announcing his decommitment from the Irish on Thursday.

He is the No. 8 running back in the class and has a ton of production in his high school career.

Edwards is the first ESPN 300 recruit in the 2023 class for Colorado, and he is the first ESPN 300 recruit to commit to Colorado since the team signed three in 2020.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.