Deon “Primetime” Sanders to Colorado

djp14150

25 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Trey Sanders former 5-star RB (ranked #1 in 2019) is expected to transfer to Colorado. 

I can't say that I 100% blame Trey, but Saban carried him through a bad football injury and a serious injury sustained in a car accident. He probably would not have started but this (imo) ties into you post on this topic. There is far less loyalty these days.

I want the players to earn money but there must be a fair system in place.

8 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I can't say that I 100% blame Trey, but Saban carried him through a bad football injury and a serious injury sustained in a car accident. He probably would not have started but this (imo) ties into you post on this topic. There is far less loyalty these days.

I'm not a huge fan of the portal either,  but if coaches can lie to these players to get them signed, and then leave,  then players should have the same chance.  In my opinion you have to fix both before you can just fix the players.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

1. No, there's not. But I'd take Deon over Gundy at this point. Just how I feel as a Cowboys fan/season ticket holder in Stillwater. And Sanders got quite a few top recruits away from SEC, Big XII, etc. teams. How does he get these kids over Alabama, Texas, UGA, Oregon, etc? 

Travis Hunter CB - 5 star... #1 player out of HS in the country

Kevin Coleman WR - 4 star... picked JSU over UGA, Oregon, Bama, USC, etc (35 offers)

Quaydarius Davis WR - 4 star... picked JSU over Alabama, Texas, LSU, Oklahoma State, etc. (22 offers)

KaTron Evans DL - 4 star... offers from Alabama, Tenn, Clemson, Florida State (41 offer)

Shedeur Sanders QB - 4 star... offers from everyone - clearly was going with dad

De'Jahn Warren CB - 4 star... offers from everyone

Trevonte Rucker WR - 4 star... " " 

Baron Hopson WR - 3 star

2. I get that. T. Boone and Knight are/were in a different league. But no reason Colorado can't get a combined total of $50-100 million from all their donors. 

Alabama has 5 star recruits on the bench.  All those schools do.  That's how.  Bama is loaded with 5 stars--that's their selection pool.   Starting roster is what it is, so lots of 3rd stringers at 4-5 stars. Others will transfer into the portal to lesser programs than powerhouses so they can get playing time.

Pretty simple.

51 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I work with someone who played softball at OU (all Big 8 pitcher). Her daughter plays softball in college now and she hates the portal and NIL. We've talked a lot about this and I agree with her.... it needs to be capped. The idea of a kid getting paid for a video game is a legit issue... but that is gone at this point (for now, until EA Sports comes out with NCAA 2025 or whatever) and the previous problem was the stipend kids got was not enough to live when they couldn't work while playing college sports. 

Now the doors are wide open and a kid going to Tennessee State (Hercy Miller) playing basketball can get $2 million for going there. Bryce Young can get paid $3 million+ 

I feel there needs to be a cap like in professional sports. I don't have an answer to be honest. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Alabama has 5 star recruits on the bench.  All those schools do.  That's how.  Bama is loaded with 5 stars--that's their selection pool.   Starting roster is what it is, so lots of 3rd stringers at 4-5 stars. Others will transfer into the portal to lesser programs than powerhouses so they can get playing time.

Pretty simple.

Doesn't explain the list of kids I gave you in just the past 2 years. You said JSU is competing against Southwestern Athletic Conference. Yea, but they are also going up against and beating major power 5 programs. And there's not that many 5 star kids out there, not all teams get them. Oregon, Notre Dame, Penn State, Tenn, etc all got a total of 0 five-star kids last year. 

18 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Tennessee has, over the past decade, had 6 winning seasons, 5 ranked teams and 5 Bowls.

Earle Bruce keft OSU 35 years ago.  It has been a top program since despite 4 different coaches.  

Not sure who David Shula is, but there was a Mike Shula who got Bama to 3 bowl games and a 10-2 and a #8 rank finish.

Phil Knight did give 2 500 millions gifts to Oregon---for building a bioengineering facility and funding faculty.   He also contributed to a new 270 million track and field venue.   Gave millions for an athletic training facility.  But they  have been a top program for decades, under multiple coaches. 

Colorado stinks.

JSU is D-1 as well.

All Stars (5n stars) want to play in the NFL.  Colorado isn't where they see that happening--even with "Prime".  Even in the PAC 12, there are far more attractive destinations than Colorado, which is the least in many ways.

they in the the lower level of FCS/playoffs. Thr conference doesn’t participate in the playoffs

Just now, ArdmoreRyno said:

Doesn't explain the list of kids I gave you in just the past 2 years. You said JSU is competing against Southwestern Athletic Conference. Yea, but they are also going up against and beating major power 5 programs. And there's not that many 5 star kids out there, not all teams get them. Oregon, Notre Dame, Penn State, Tenn, etc all got a total of 0 five-star kids last year. 

Again, you go to a place like JSU, you're going to play.  Go to Bama, OSU...you probably aren't.  Maybe you're not playing for a while at ND or Oregon either.  Go to a minor conference like SWAC or to a Power 5 wasteland like Colorado, your chances for pro scout exposure are significantly higher.

Plus, throw in NIL---there's little flowing to the Colorado players I would bet. 

Here's an older article but it captures some of this topic:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/1/15/10774592/alabama-recruiting-playing-time-elite-star-signing-day

"Greg McElroy is praising Da'Shawn Hand, the No. 1 player from the class of 2014, who was a third stringer in Alabama'a amazing front seven that contained 22 four- and five-star prospects -- more than Michigan State's entire roster. Bielema makes the off-hand comment that his staff lets players know that if they choose Alabama, they will be a third stringer because everyone on the roster is just as talented as they are."

3 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

they in the the lower level of FCS/playoffs. Thr conference doesn’t participate in the playoffs

Being a Div-1 school, he could have accepted players to JSU from other teams through the portal.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Again, you go to a place like JSU, you're going to play.  Go to Bama, OSU...you probably aren't.  Maybe you're not playing for a while at ND or Oregon either.  Go to a minor conference like SWAC or to a Power 5 wasteland like Colorado, your chances for pro scout exposure are significantly higher.

Plus, throw in NIL---there's little flowing to the Colorado players I would bet. 

That's pretty silly IMO. 4 and 5 stars go to Alabama and "probably aren't" playing? 

Okay. LOL

2 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

That's pretty silly IMO. 4 and 5 stars go to Alabama and "probably aren't" playing? 

Okay. LOL

what's the funny part?  I even included an article to help.

Yeah, of you are 5 star on a SWAC team, you're far more likely to play right away than on Alabama, for instance.  This isn't hard to realize....

Also, what major Power 5 programs did JSU beat this season?

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

he had no career in Bama.  

True but he was nursed back into health from 2 very serious injuries (one non football related) in perhaps the best facilities and medical staff that exist anywhere. That in itself would cost anyone a TON of money.

Please don't misunderstsand.....I want the kids to get paid but I also think that there should be a system in place. It is worthy to note that the US Supreme Court cannot agree on what day of the week it is, but; they ruled 9-0 against the NCAA for having no system in place at all. 

Even in the NFL players can't just take the money and run.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

True but he was nursed back into health from 2 very serious injuries (one non football related) in perhaps the best facilities and medical staff that exist anywhere. That in itself would cost anyone a TON of money.

Please don't misunderstsand.....I want the kids to get paid but I also think that there should be a system in place. It is worthy to note that the US Supreme Court cannot agree on what day of the week it is, but; they ruled 9-0 against the NCAA for having no system in place at all. 

Even in the NFL players can't just take the money and run.

I agree. 

Still, this isn't a huge get for Colorado.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

what's the funny part?  I even included an article to help.

Yeah, of you are 5 star on a SWAC team, you're far more likely to play right away than on Alabama, for instance.  This isn't hard to realize....

Also, what major Power 5 programs did JSU beat this season?

You could go to North Texas and be more likely to start, but North Texas isn't getting 5-star recruits. You could go to Tulsa and start, go to Arkansas Tech and start, etc., etc. Kids want to win and develop for the NFL. That's the #1 goal of most of them. Yea, education is the top priority but you're kidding yourself if you think a lot of top 15 draft picks are from HBCU. This is the goal of (I'd guess) 95-99% of 4 and 5 star kids. 

Very few Steve McNair's out there getting drafted in the top 5. 

In fact, there are usually less than 10 drafted every year and has been the case since around 1993 (last year had FOUR and none in the top 3 rounds). There used to be a BOAT load coming out of those schools 60's and 70's. We are talking 40-60 each draft. HUNDREDS of players. Between 2010 and 2019 (last study done) a total of 26 players drafted from every combined HBCU school.

89 were drafted from Alabama alone over that same span. Jackson State has taken players, Deon Sanders has taken players, from OFFERS from Alabama. 

PS: I could give a rip about how many Power 5 programs JSU played or didn't. That has nothing to do with Deon Sanders getting kids to their program while you think (AGAIN, the reason I replied to your comment) they are going up only against the SWAC. That's completely inaccurate. 

24 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I agree. 

Still, this isn't a huge get for Colorado.  

LOL

Are you a Colorado State alum? 

1 minute ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

You could go to North Texas and be more likely to start, but North Texas isn't getting 5-star recruits. You could go to Tulsa and start, go to Arkansas Tech and start, etc., etc. Kids want to win and develop for the NFL. That's the #1 goal of most of them. Yea, education is the top priority but you're kidding yourself if you think a lot of top 15 draft picks are from HBCU. This is the goal of (I'd guess) 95-99% of 4 and 5 star kids. 

Very few Steve McNair's out there getting drafted in the top 5. 

In fact, there are usually less than 10 drafted every year and has been the case since around 1993 (last year had FOUR and none in the top 3 rounds). There used to be a BOAT load coming out of those schools 60's and 70's. We are talking 40-60 each draft. HUNDREDS of players. Between 2010 and 2019 (last study done) a total of 26 players drafted from every combined HBCU school.

89 were drafted from Alabama alone over that same span. Jackson State has taken players, Deon Sanders has taken players, from OFFERS from Alabama. 

PS: I could give a rip about how many Power 5 programs JSU played or didn't. That has nothing to do with Deon Sanders getting kids to their program while you think (AGAIN, the reason I replied to your comment) they are going up only against the SWAC. That's completely inaccurate. 

you brought it up.  I don't know man--just asking which Power 5 teams you were referring to.  Also, I don't think many HBCU players get drafted--didn't say so either. 

Yeah, 5 stars want to go where they will play--we've already covered that.  That's why they enter the portal (even from Alabama), for instance.  That's why they don't sign with Bama--because they are told they will be down on the depth chart.  

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

you brought it up.  I don't know man--just asking which Power 5 teams you were referring to.  Also, I don't think many HBCU players get drafted--didn't say so either. 

Yeah, 5 stars want to go where they will play--we've already covered that.  That's why they enter the portal (even from Alabama), for instance.  That's why they don't sign with Bama--because they are told they will be down on the depth chart.  

You asked what Power 5 teams JSU beat. I didn't say they played against anyone, I said they recruit against them. You said "His JSU stint proved more HBCU players would go to Sanders than other SWAC schools" 

Did he not recruit against, and WIN, against MAJOR power 5 schools? Yes or no? 

7 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

You asked what Power 5 teams JSU beat. I didn't say they played against anyone, I said they recruit against them. You said "His JSU stint proved more HBCU players would go to Sanders than other SWAC schools" 

Did he not recruit against, and WIN, against MAJOR power 5 schools? Yes or no? 

"You said JSU is competing against Southwestern Athletic Conference. Yea, but they are also going up against and beating major power 5 programs."

I took this to mean actually competing.

Anyway, as we have already covered, JSU and others get Bama's spillover--even with the 4-5 stars.  When your front 7 has 22 5 stars on the roster, a new 5 star might think twice about heading there.  The ones who are confident they will make the starting lineup some day go there anyway---precisely because they have a better chance of getting drafted.

Players who want to play because they are told they won't start or will be red shirted or red shirted and still not start will roll the dice at a JSU--even though their chances at getting drafted, as you pointed out, are awful.  Go figure.

SO Sanders may get a bunch of 5 stars transferring in to Colorado.  Then what?  He's not going 12-0 in the PAC 12 any time soon....

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"You said JSU is competing against Southwestern Athletic Conference. Yea, but they are also going up against and beating major power 5 programs."

Anyway, as we have already covered, JSU and others get Bama's spillover--even with the 4-5 stars.  When your front 7 has 22 5 stars on the roster, a new 5 star might think twice about heading there.  The ones who are confident they will make the starting lineup some day go there anyway---precisely because they have a better chance of getting drafted.

Players who want to play because they are told they won't start or will be red shirted or red shirted and still not start will roll the dice at a JSU--even though their chances at getting drafted, as you pointed out, are awful.  Go figure.

SO Sanders may get a bunch of 5 stars transferring in to Colorado.  Then what?  He's not going 12-0 in the PAC 12 any time soon....

It's simply not accurate my man. You might have 3-star kids go to HBCU's... there has been kids who committed or transferred in. Those who commit are not the norm. It rarely happens. Roscoe Gibson (3-star is playing for Eddie George at Tenn State) is one of those rare kids. 

If you can prove your theory of "4-5 star spillovers" going to HBCU's, I'll shut up. Because if you think it's not because of Deon, you're insane. And I never said Colorado is going 12-0. I said that Colorado *CAN* become legit again. Nebraska *CAN* become legit again. Sanders is doing something to excite these kids. 

50 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Travis Hunter was the first 5 star EVER to go to a school the size of JSU as a recruit.  Now, some have transferred, but you can't deny that Sanders can recruit with the best of them, even with a huge disadvantage in regards to the school he was at.

Also, Alabama has 22 5 AND 4 star recruit, not 22 5 stars.  There is a much smaller pool of 5 star recruits every year.  For 2022, there were 34 5 star players.  There were 332 4 star players.  Still amazing that they had that many, and the history of Alabama's winning and producing NFL players sells itself.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

It's simply not accurate my man. You might have 3-star kids go to HBCU's... there has been kids who committed or transferred in. Those who commit are not the norm. It rarely happens. Roscoe Gibson (3-star is playing for Eddie George at Tenn State) is one of those rare kids. 

If you can prove your theory of "4-5 star spillovers" going to HBCU's, I'll shut up. Because if you think it's not because of Deon, you're insane. And I never said Colorado is going 12-0. I said that Colorado *CAN* become legit again. Nebraska *CAN* become legit again. Sanders is doing something to excite these kids. 

we are talking about what will happen in Colorado.

Nebraska has no chance either.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.