Deon “Primetime” Sanders to Colorado

djp14150

I followed Colorado from the mid-80s to the late 90s.  They had an amazing run of success under Bill McCartney.  That man out-recruited Nebraska, and that's no small feat.  

Much like Nebraska, Colorado messed that entire program up by leaving the Big 12 Conference in 2011, and probably since they fired Gary Barnett, Colorado insisted on hiring coaches on the cheap that had mediocre to terrible records before hire.  I'm happy to see they've decided to spend some money and attracted Sanders.  

• Agree 1

As a casual observer of college football I thought it was pretty cool what Deion was doing with Jackson State.  Unless I'm mistaken he convinced a top HS prospect to go to Jackson State instead of a top ranked school in the past year or so and had played up the building a HBCU angle since he was hired.  From that perspective I'm disappointed he's leaving Jackson St.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

As a casual observer of college football I thought it was pretty cool what Deion was doing with Jackson State.  Unless I'm mistaken he convinced a top HS prospect to go to Jackson State instead of a top ranked school in the past year or so and had played up the building a HBCU angle since he was hired.  From that perspective I'm disappointed he's leaving Jackson St.  

He can bring that kid with him

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wow, Colorado absolutely stinks.  Just have written him a huge check.  He is leaving a better program.

Yeah but Colorado is a better opportunity

Not a huge Coach Prime guy, and not sure if his shtick will work at Colorado, but every team with a job opening should have been looking to bring him in.   His recruiting ability alone is worth the money.   Guy brought in the #1 prospect in the nation to play FCS football after he had offers from Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Michigan, and seemingly every FBS powerhouse.    Not to mention the amount of transfers he pulled in from Florida State, Miami, and USC.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wow, Colorado absolutely stinks.  Just have written him a huge check.  He is leaving a better program.

Colorado, like Nebraska, *CAN* get back to the glory years. I'm from Big XII (Big 8 ) country and they were dominate at one point for about 20 years. 

From 1989 to their last year in the Big 12. they won a national title and played for another. (Won the Big 8/12 six times).  

41 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Colorado, like Nebraska, *CAN* get back to the glory years. I'm from Big XII (Big 8 ) country and they were dominate at one point for about 20 years. 

From 1989 to their last year in the Big 12. they won a national title and played for another. (Won the Big 8/12 six times).  

I agree.  Colorado (and Nebraska) have top of the line athletic facilities and wealthy boosters.  I wouldn't consider them poor, ignored programs.  

It will be interesting to see how they do with real investment at the head coaching position with two guys who have a recruiting pedigree.

7 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

if they *CAN* why haven’t they for decades? 

7 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Not a huge Coach Prime guy, and not sure if his shtick will work at Colorado, but every team with a job opening should have been looking to bring him in.   His recruiting ability alone is worth the money.   Guy brought in the #1 prospect in the nation to play FCS football after he had offers from Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Michigan, and seemingly every FBS powerhouse.    Not to mention the amount of transfers he pulled in from Florida State, Miami, and USC.    

that guy  going to Colorado with Coach?

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

that guy  going to Colorado with Coach?

I think all programs have there up and downs. Remember Alabama was once coached by David Shula. USC hit tock bottom just recently. Tennessee has been a bottom feeder for a decade.  Ohio State with Earl Bruce underperformed.  Boston College used to be good. Oregon before Phil Knight poured a billion dollars into the school was a Pac 10 afterthought. 

Utah has built a really good program while BYU is now down. 

Not saying Colorado can turn it around, but it usually takes a dynamic recruiter, possibly money under the table( before NIL), and a few star players to get some name recognition with the kids.

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

to experience power 5 losing.  that's true...

being D-1 he can use the transfer portal to make an all star team

34 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I think all programs have there up and downs. Remember Alabama was once coached by David Shula. USC hit tock bottom just recently. Tennessee has been a bottom feeder for a decade.  Ohio State with Earl Bruce underperformed.  Boston College used to be good. Oregon before Phil Knight poured a billion dollars into the school was a Pac 10 afterthought. 

Not saying Colorado can turn it around, but it usually takes a dynamic recruiter, possibly money under the table( before NIL), and a few star players to get some name recognition with the kids.

BYU being indie has hurt but they have been a decent program who has have waves of being better. Utah has had a stable coach.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Tennessee has, over the past decade, had 6 winning seasons, 5 ranked teams and 5 Bowls.

Earle Bruce keft OSU 35 years ago.  It has been a top program since despite 4 different coaches.  

Not sure who David Shula is, but there was a Mike Shula who got Bama to 3 bowl games and a 10-2 and a #8 rank finish.

Phil Knight did give 2 500 millions gifts to Oregon---for building a bioengineering facility and funding faculty.   He also contributed to a new 270 million track and field venue.   Gave millions for an athletic training facility.  But they  have been a top program for decades, under multiple coaches. 

Colorado stinks.

47 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

being D-1 he can use the transfer portal to make an all star team

BYU being indie has hurt but they have been a decent program who has have waves of being better. Utah has had a stable coach.

JSU is D-1 as well.

All Stars (5n stars) want to play in the NFL.  Colorado isn't where they see that happening--even with "Prime".  Even in the PAC 12, there are far more attractive destinations than Colorado, which is the least in many ways.

• Agree 1

I don’t know if the Deion gimmick is going to work as well in a power five conference. I think Deion coaching at a small HBCU school had a special allure, and he marketed it as an altruistic endeavor. If he starts out slowly, he’s not going to be able to promise recruits the moon, and his shtick will grow old real fast. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Tennessee has, over the past decade, had 6 winning seasons, 5 ranked teams and 5 Bowls.

Earle Bruce keft OSU 35 years ago.  It has been a top program since despite 4 different coaches.  

Not sure who David Shula is, but there was a Mike Shula who got Bama to 3 bowl games and a 10-2 and a #8 rank finish.

Phil Knight did give 2 500 millions gifts to Oregon---for building a bioengineering facility and funding faculty.   He also contributed to a new 270 million track and field venue.   Gave millions for an athletic training facility.  But they  have been a top program for decades, under multiple coaches. 

Colorado stinks.

JSU is D-1 as well.

All Stars (5n stars) want to play in the NFL.  Colorado isn't where they see that happening--even with "Prime".  Even in the PAC 12, there are far more attractive destinations than Colorado, which is the least in many ways.

Good catch.  David Shula was a bust with the Bengals. Mike Shula was terrible with Alabama. He had one winning season in 4 years.  Tennessee has been a bad football program for years since Fulmer left.  7 of the past 14 seasons since Fulmer left were losing seasons and 2022 will be the first in two decades with less than 4 losses.   

Colorado does stink right now.  However they have a decent history.  They have a won a single National Championship just as Tenn does. Oregon zero. They have a single Heisman trophy winner. Same number as Oregon.  Tenn has none.  

You are correct about getting guys in the NFL.  Colorado currently only has 11 while Oregon and Tenn have closer to 40 each.  That will liekly chage with Sanders as HC. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Combo of coaching and money. Oklahoma State is a great example of how that can lead to success. OSU became decent again under Les Miles, his short tenure before going to LSU (dude is a football genius, but an average coach... used to play golf with him in Stillwater). In comes Mike Gundy plus T. Boone's money. Boone gave nearly $200 million to the Ok State athletic department (around a billion in all to the school) in 2005 and the Cowboys went from winning 4 to 7 games a season to a top 10 overall program in the nation in terms of wins and win percentage. (we were 0-10-1 about a decade before that in one season). 

Then throw in the "Texas" mentality that you have to win every game or you're fired. Rick Neuheisel was a good coach, he had one bad year at 5-6 (next year he was 8-4 and fired). That came off of two back-to-back 10-2 seasons. 

Jackson State was awful before Deon. Facilities were at the bottom of nearly all of college football. They now on the verge of going undefeated and winning the "black college national championship." 

10 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Good catch.  David Shula was a bust with the Bengals. Mike Shula was terrible with Alabama. He had one winning season in 4 years.  Tennessee has been a bad football program for years since Fulmer left.  7 of the past 14 seasons since Fulmer left were losing seasons and 2022 will be the first in two decades with less than 4 losses.   

Colorado does stink right now.  However they have a decent history.  They have a won a single National Championship just as Tenn does. Oregon zero. They have a single Heisman trophy winner. Same number as Oregon.  Tenn has none.  

You are correct about getting guys in the NFL.  Colorado currently only has 11 while Oregon and Tenn have closer to 40 each.  That will liekly chage with Sanders as HC. 

They reached #2 this season.  

Colorado has had 3 winning season in 20 years.  

No one cares about Heisman trophies.  And as you point out, Tenn has put 40 guys in the NFL with  no national titles.  Why would these players now flock to a place like Colorado just to play for Sanders and a program perhaps years away from relevance?   Which of the top players in the country is going to say "I want to join Coach Sanders in Colorado so I can help him rebuild that program?"

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Combo of coaching and money. Oklahoma State is a great example of how that can lead to success. OSU became decent again under Les Miles, his short tenure before going to LSU (dude is a football genius, but an average coach... used to play golf with him in Stillwater). In comes Mike Gundy plus T. Boone's money. Boone gave nearly $200 million to the Ok State athletic department (around a billion in all to the school) in 2005 and the Cowboys went from winning 4 to 7 games a season to a top 10 overall program in the nation in terms of wins and win percentage. (we were 0-10-1 about a decade before that in one season). 

Then throw in the "Texas" mentality that you have to win every game or you're fired. Rick Neuheisel was a good coach, he had one bad year at 5-6 (next year he was 8-4 and fired). That came off of two back-to-back 10-2 seasons. 

Jackson State was awful before Deon. Facilities were at the bottom of nearly all of college football. They now on the verge of going undefeated and winning the "black college national championship." 

That didn't take much--certainly orders of magnitude less of a heavy lift than pulling up the chronic PAC 12 bottom dweller.  

1). There's not much evidence Sanders is Mike Gundy.  His JSU stint proved more HBCU players would go to Sanders than other SWAC schools. Lets see how many top new recruits he get to Colorado next year. 

2). There's no billion dollar donor in Colorado.  Their biggest donation in history to their Athletics Dept was in 2021 for 5.5 million (with an "m"). 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

That didn't take much--certainly orders of magnitude less of a heavy lift than pulling up the chronic PAC 12 bottom dweller.  

1). There's not much evidence Sanders is Mike Gundy.  His JSU stint proved more HBCU players would go to Sanders than other SWAC schools. Lets see how many top new recruits he get to Colorado next year. 

2). There's no billion dollar donor in Colorado.  Their biggest donation in history to their Athletics Dept was in 2021 for 5.5 million (with an "m"). 

1. No, there's not. But I'd take Deon over Gundy at this point. Just how I feel as a Cowboys fan/season ticket holder in Stillwater. And Sanders got quite a few top recruits away from SEC, Big XII, etc. teams. How does he get these kids over Alabama, Texas, UGA, Oregon, etc? 

Travis Hunter CB - 5 star... #1 player out of HS in the country

Kevin Coleman WR - 4 star... picked JSU over UGA, Oregon, Bama, USC, etc (35 offers)

Quaydarius Davis WR - 4 star... picked JSU over Alabama, Texas, LSU, Oklahoma State, etc. (22 offers)

KaTron Evans DL - 4 star... offers from Alabama, Tenn, Clemson, Florida State (41 offer)

Shedeur Sanders QB - 4 star... offers from everyone - clearly was going with dad

De'Jahn Warren CB - 4 star... offers from everyone

Trevonte Rucker WR - 4 star... " " 

Baron Hopson WR - 3 star

2. I get that. T. Boone and Knight are/were in a different league. But no reason Colorado can't get a combined total of $50-100 million from all their donors. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.