Matthew Stafford to IR, won't play vs Seahawks and at least 3 additional games

Beck Water

Thought this deserved its own thread, didn't find one

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/rams-breaking-matthew-stafford-moves-to-ir-injury-season-ending/ar-AA14RPQW

The news got better for the Los Angeles Rams on Friday, but not necessarily good. Starting quarterback Matthew Stafford was cleared from concussion protocol, but won't start the Week 13 matchup with the division-leading Seattle Seahawks.

And why is that now a certainty? On Saturday he’s being move to IR … a four-week process that makes a possible return for 2022 unlikely.

Stafford is still suffering from a neck strain … 

“What we’ve got to figure out is with six games remaining, how much is he going to be available and what’s the best step for him?” Rams coach Sean McVay said on Friday.

Even if he's cleared medically from the neck strain, McVay said there's a chance Stafford still won't play, even though he'd want to.

“He can be upset with me, but I think he knows I have his best interest and we have his best interest [in mind],” McVay said. “And if that’s the case, then that’s definitely a possibility. But he’s going to want to play.”

This is highly confusing to me.  He's on injury report with a concussion and a neck strain.  He's cleared concussion protocol and medically cleared from the neck strain.

But, McVay is putting him on IR because he has his best interest in mind

What the Holy Hell did I just read?

Edited by Beck Water

• Beck Water changed the title to Matthew Stafford to IR, won't play vs Seahawks and at least 3 additional games
12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

What a miserable season for the Rams. Hope that SB was worth walking the desert for the foreseeable future.

Worst season post super bowl championship in NFL history.

If it was the Bills leading that Superbowl Parade last February, would you think so?

Rams fans are fine with punting on this season by leaning on last years Super Bowl, but I’m not sure how long that lasts..

Anytime anyone trades a high pick or hands out a big contract, people inevitably start invoking the Rams this season, but I don’t think they truly grasp how all-in and reckless they were in building that Super Bowl winner.  

They basically did our one Diggs trade, but over and over and over and with way more picks involved.  

Their star pass rusher left in FA.  Their QB is breaking down.  Their star DT flirted with retirement. 

For the sake of their GM’s career with LA, he is incredibly lucky that the Bills or Chiefs didn’t make it out of the AFC. 

Edited by SCBills

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Thought this deserved its own thread, didn't find one

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/rams-breaking-matthew-stafford-moves-to-ir-injury-season-ending/ar-AA14RPQW

This is highly confusing to me.  He's on injury report with a concussion and a neck strain.  He's cleared concussion protocol and medically cleared from the neck strain.

But, McVay is putting him on IR because he has his best interest in mind

What the Holy Hell did I just read?

I think with the season basically over and a QB that has been in concussion protocol multiple times, has a bad neck, and needs Elbow surgery - I think the coach is saying - let’s get you out and finally get you healthy.

Him playing or not has little impact at this point and it would not surprise me to see them leave Stafford on IR for the rest of the season and suggest he go get surgery and come back in 2023.

To me it is like Von.  He could probably play next week with a brace, but why - this is not when you need him.  Put him on IR - give him additional time with no pressure and have him as healthy as possible for the Post Season - when you need a maximum of 4 games out of him.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, boyst said:

No. I don't want the Bills to go the Rams route. 

Winning one super bowl and going back to drought era would be traumatic i think. I get the idea that we just need to get one before we think about anything more but I also don't want to go about triggering another drought era by doing so. Not to mention the Rams SB wasn't guaranteed. I think if 13 seconds didn't happen or Mahomes didn't bungle the 2nd half against the bengals, then a Chiefs or Bills vs Rams SB wouldn't have had the desired result for the Rams. And imagine where they'd be now if they didn't get it?

I want the Bills to be perennial contenders.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Big Turk said:

What a miserable season for the Rams. Hope that SB was worth walking the desert for the foreseeable future.

yeah  their SB was 100% bought and paid for, no thought for the franchise's future at all, hope it was worth it.  They will now suck for years.  SF and Seattle will be lapping them for years.  

11 hours ago, Big Turk said:

This season is a product of not just last years moves to win a SB, but also several other trades leading up to the first Rams appearance w McVay. 

9 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Winning one super bowl and going back to drought era would be traumatic i think. I get the idea that we just need to get one before we think about anything more but I also don't want to go about triggering another drought era by doing so. Not to mention the Rams SB wasn't guaranteed. I think if 13 seconds didn't happen or Mahomes didn't bungle the 2nd half against the bengals, then a Chiefs or Bills vs Rams SB wouldn't have had the desired result for the Rams. And imagine where they'd be now if they didn't get it?

I want the Bills to be perennial contenders.

Not to mention that the 49ers should have beaten them in the NFC CG. This was on the long drive where they took the lead.

50 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

This season is a product of not just last years moves to win a SB, but also several other trades leading up to the first Rams appearance w McVay. 

Yup...can only act like picks don't matter for so long before they catch up to you. And this is WITH drafting well in later rounds and getting some good players. Imagine if they were like the average team and didn't find hidden gems in later rounds??

55 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

yeah  their SB was 100% bought and paid for, no thought for the franchise's future at all, hope it was worth it.  They will now suck for years.  SF and Seattle will be lapping them for years.  

The funny thing is, if either KC or Buffalo was the team they faced they likely would have gotten smoked. They got a very favorable matchup.

54 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Not to mention that the 49ers should have beaten them in the NFC CG. This was on the long drive where they took the lead.

Butterfly effect could be Von Miller doesn't sign here as if he doesn't win a ring with the Rams is he still pursuing a 3rd here or does he return to LA to get a 2nd with them?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.