Gabe Davis Ankle ???

MarlinTheMagician

2 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Gabe does not seem to be getting us much separation since the ankle injury.  Anybody know anything?  Gabe is a gamer, would not surprise me if it is still not right.  I think he could have a nice stretch run with this mini-bye to get healthy.  We need him to relieve more pressure from Diggs, IMHO.

I dunno...he looked pretty good in the Steeler game.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

I dunno...he looked pretty good in the Steeler game.

He sure did, but that was straight line deep stuff if I recall, at least the big play that I remember where he took it away from Minka.  Very different than making sharp cuts and running precise routes to gain separation short and intermediate, which would stress the ankle more.   Say, like Diggs TD route vs. Pats.  Gabe is not a blazer, but usually he gains separation with good route running.  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

He sure did, but that was straight line deep stuff if I recall, at least the big play that I remember where he took it away from Minka.  Very different than making sharp cuts and running precise routes to gain separation short and intermediate, which would stress the ankle more.   Say, like Diggs TD route vs. Pats.  Gabe is not a blazer, but usually he gains separation with good route running.  

Valid points. I mean Davis is squarely in the 20th-40th range in terms of most WR stats this year and is on pace for 942 yards and 8-9 TDs. Already has a career high in yards. 

If there are 32 #1 WRs statistically, #2 WRs would fall between 33-64 logically. He is well within that range. 

If people are disappointed in him, it largely is because they had unrealistic expectations to begin with. Only so many balls to go around.

Probably Madden related...that game has caused more ridiculous and unrealistic expectations over the last few decades than anything else.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

Valid points. I mean Davis is squarely in the 20th-40th range in terms of most WR stats this year and is on pace for 942 yards and 8-9 TDs. 

If there are 32 #1 WRs statistically, #2 WRs would fall between 33-64 logically. He is well within that range. If peopel are disappointed in him, it largely is because they had unrealistic expectations to begin with.

Or he’s on a pass heavy offense.  

This is like hyping the numbers for the RB2 on a team that runs a wishbone offense.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Or he’s on a pass heavy offense.  

This is like hyping the numbers for the RB2 on a team that runs a wishbone offense.  

How many offenses aren't pass heavy these days?

The Bills are only 7th in pass attempts per game, let's not act like they are first in the NFL by a wide margin.

This doesn't appear to be the case. The difference between the Bills and league average in passing attempts has been a grand total of about 35 up til this point in the season. You really are trying to claim a total of 35 more passes attempted would have this big of an effect?

C'mon man...that's silly.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Valid points. I mean Davis is squarely in the 20th-40th range in terms of most WR stats this year and is on pace for 942 yards and 8-9 TDs. 

If there are 32 #1 WRs statistically, #2 WRs would fall between 33-64 logically. He is well within that range. If peopel are disappointed in him, it largely is because they had unrealistic expectations to begin with.

Yours are valid too, but I am a Davis believer.  I think if he was in his best form, and Allen was too (no elbow ding), 15-25 type ranking is possible for Gabe, even with Diggs as a clear #1.  Maybe I am too optimistic, but I have felt Gabe has the ability to be a 1 or 1A type, and he has not quite been at that level this year.  Having seen him play at that level a lot raised my suspicion on the ankle ahead of thinking "he is just a 2, but a pretty good two."  I think he has more, not that anyone is asking my opinion.

Edited by MarlinTheMagician
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Davis has never been a separator. He's at his best just running vertically and taking advantage of holes in the defense that come from the attention they pay to the rest of the offense. That was his role here for two years and it worked brilliantly. Ideally he'd be a #3 WR, not a full time #2. They decided to give him his opportunity after his monster game against the Chiefs but unfortunately he hasn't risen to the occasion. That's why OBJ is currently in WNY. Beane recognizes that Davis can't handle the increased role he's been giving.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

How many offenses aren't pass heavy these days?

Plenty. 

Quite a few rely on the run game to set up the pass game and/or protect mediocre QB play. 

And then some use it as the primary driver of their offense.. Ravens, Eagles, Browns, 49ers, Titans etc..

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Yours are valid too, but I am a Davis believer.  I think if he was in his best form, and Allen was too (no elbow ding), 15-25 type ranking is possible for Gabe, even with Diggs as a clear #1.  Maybe I am too optimistic, but I have felt Gabe has the ability to be a 1 or 1A type, and he has not quite been at that level this year.  Having seen him play at that level a lot raised my suspicion on the ankle ahead of thinking "he is just a 2, but a pretty good two."  I think he has more, not that anyone is asking my opinion.

I think he does as well. There is something about growing into a role also and having to learn how to adjust as defenses paly you differently also. I think he will be fine and likely take another step forward next year, assuming the Bills resign him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Davis has never been a separator. He's at his best just running vertically and taking advantage of holes in the defense that come from the attention they pay to the rest of the offense. That was his role here for two years and it worked brilliantly. Ideally he'd be a #3 WR, not a full time #2. They decided to give him his opportunity after his monster game against the Chiefs but unfortunately he hasn't risen to the occasion. That's why OBJ is currently in WNY. Beane recognizes that Davis can't handle the increased role he's been giving.

Respectfully disagree.  He is very good at gaining separation on out-breaking routes, in-cuts too.  Normally.  I will never forget his sideline grabs vs. Colts in playoffs.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Plenty. 

Quite a few rely on the run game to set up the pass game and/or protect mediocre QB play. 

And then some use it as the primary driver of their offense.. Ravens, Eagles, Browns, 49ers, Titans etc..

The Jets are ranked 16th in pass attempts per game. League average. Bills are at 37.5, Jets at 34.1. A difference of a total of about 35 more attempts to this point in the season. There is no way Davis is somehow way ahead of most teams WR2 because the Bills have thrown the ball 35 more times than the 16th ranked team.

This argument holds no water no matter how much you are convinced it does.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

I think he does as well. There is something about growing into a role also and having to learn how to adjust as defenses paly you differently also. I think he will be fine and likely take another step forward next year, assuming the Bills resign him.

Agree.  And I am hoping that just maybe, with 10 days rest, he can give us a little more down the stretch.  Would be big for the offense.

• Agree 1

To be honest, I probably didn't pay too much attention to Gabe's route running his first two years, but watching him this season, it just doesn't look very precise - everything looks very slow and "rounded.". I assumed it was lingering issues with the high ankle sprain, but maybe he's always been this guy?  If that's the case, we definitely need another no. 2 type.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

To be honest, I probably didn't pay too much attention to Gabe's route running his first two years, but watching him this season, it just doesn't look very precise - everything looks very slow and "rounded.". I assumed it was lingering issues with the high ankle sprain, but maybe he's always been this guy?  If that's the case, we definitely need another no. 2 type.

You could say that about Mike Evans too which I think is a valid Davis comparison, obviously with less overall talent. Similar type WRs.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

If people are disappointed in him, it largely is because they had unrealistic expectations to begin with. Only so many balls to go around.

People are disappointed in him because of these stats:

-52.2 catch % on targets

-10.4 drop %

-85.7 passer rating when targeted

Considering the caliber of QB throwing to him there's a point where you have to accept that Davis is responsible for his own struggles.

Allen will always make WRs produce above their talent level. Looking at raw production isn't good enough. And keep in mind 26% of his total yards and 33% of his total TDs came in one game. A true #2 WR doesn't have one monster game, a few middling games, and a few disappearing acts; not with a QB at Allen's level and a coverage-stealing #1 WR at Diggs' level.

Nothing wrong with Davis' skill set but he is not playing his ideal role right now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

18 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Valid points. I mean Davis is squarely in the 20th-40th range in terms of most WR stats this year and is on pace for 942 yards and 8-9 TDs. Already has a career high in yards. 

If there are 32 #1 WRs statistically, #2 WRs would fall between 33-64 logically. He is well within that range. 

Probably Madden related...that game has caused more ridiculous and unrealistic expectations over the last few decades than anything else.

Gabe’s numbers would look a lot better if he stopped dropping passes that hit him in the hands.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

He’s always seemed a bit clunky, but he’s also 6-2 and jacked.. Not a ton of WR’s with that build. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.