Under McBeane, the Bills are a player friendly franchise

Inigo Montoya

10 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think they genuinely care about the players in that locker room and their actions show it.  Most importantly, Bills players see that and other players around the league see that.

Well stated, Mr. Montoya. You nailed it.

While there is much to enjoy about our current Bills, likable players and an exciting style, it is the care and integrity of the Bills brand that I like most. The organization, built and led by McBeane, makes me proud.

If I may add to your title, I would say the Bills are a player friendly franchise, where the Bills can grow as players and men. I am truly enjoying this ride.

Edited by RochesterLifer
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I'm still trying to figure out how this will end up as an Edmunds-bashing thread.

They value him as a person, therefore they won't throw his @$$ to the curb in order to upgrade the MLB position. 😉

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It's become a bit of a cliché when McDermott says to come to the Bills to be the best version of yourself.  And when you hear multiple Bills players talk about how tight the players and coaches are in Buffalo, that they're like family, you can be tempted to dismiss it because you hear that from other locker rooms around the league too.  A lot of franchises talk the talk about being a "family" but their actions show something completely different when it comes down to crunch time.

An easy example of a franchise saying one thing and doing the opposite is the recent Tua fiasco in Miami.  McDaniels got up on national TV and said that he had no idea Tua was hurt in the Buffalo game and he would never put a player on the field who was at risk. That's not what he's about.   

He was lying. 

Everyone in the Phins locker room knew he was lying.  Every player in the NFL knew he was lying.  The video spoke for itself.  The message was clear, in a pinch, the Phins will risk any player's career for a win.  At the end of the day, the player is expendable if that sacrifice will benefit the coach's career in Miami.  Even the franchise QB.

Now contrast that with how the Bills are handling Tre White and Von Miller.  Tre has been brought back slowly and gently eased back onto the field.  He only played two series last week against the Lions and played about 65% of the snaps this week.  Most franchises wouldn't do it that way.  They would tell their multi-million dollar DB that as soon as he is cleared to play medically they want him back on the field.  Not in Buffalo.

Von Miller is another example of how to do it right.  Von comes out and says that he can play through the injury and he'll be back in a couple of weeks.  The next morning Beane places him on short term IR so he can fully heal.

You can make the argument that Beane and McDermott are just being "big picture smart" letting Tre come along slowly and forcing Von off the field so he can get right for the playoff push, but I think there is more to it than that.  I think they genuinely care about the players in that locker room and their actions show it.  Most importantly, Bills players see that and other players around the league see that.

I think players are beginning to look at Buffalo like they used to look at Seattle as being a player friendly destination and that can only help the team going forward.  That perception could be a factor in landing a free agent wide receiver who is coming off of an ACL injury too.

Lmao didn’t we start Josh with a very clearly not 100% ulnar injury like 3 weeks ago, where he was clutching his arm after every toss into the dirt because we had just dropped 6 places into the standings and couldn’t afford to start Case Keenum?

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Lmao didn’t we start Josh with a very clearly not 100% ulnar injury like 3 weeks ago, where he was clutching his arm after every toss into the dirt because we had just dropped 6 places into the standings and couldn’t afford to start Case Keenum?

Josh's injury was not one that would be worsened by him playing according to the reports, it was a pain tolerance issue.

Tua's brain on the other hand.....

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Now contrast that with how the Bills are handling Tre White and Von Miller.  Tre has been brought back slowly and gently eased back onto the field.  He only played two series last week against the Lions and played about 65% of the snaps this week.  Most franchises wouldn't do it that way.  They would tell their multi-million dollar DB that as soon as he is cleared to play medically they want him back on the field.  Not in Buffalo.

Not to dismiss the importance of handling player injuries, but I think it's more important that Beane has a good relationship with agents and it's known the Bills don't play a lot of games like trying to diminish a player's value in negotiations. It's been mentioned that Beane is pretty straight forward with players/agents on what they want to do and what they can do then works with the agents to structure the deal.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It's become a bit of a cliché when McDermott says to come to the Bills to be the best version of yourself.  And when you hear multiple Bills players talk about how tight the players and coaches are in Buffalo, that they're like family, you can be tempted to dismiss it because you hear that from other locker rooms around the league too.  A lot of franchises talk the talk about being a "family" but their actions show something completely different when it comes down to crunch time.

An easy example of a franchise saying one thing and doing the opposite is the recent Tua fiasco in Miami.  McDaniels got up on national TV and said that he had no idea Tua was hurt in the Buffalo game and he would never put a player on the field who was at risk. That's not what he's about.   

He was lying. 

Everyone in the Phins locker room knew he was lying.  Every player in the NFL knew he was lying.  The video spoke for itself.  The message was clear, in a pinch, the Phins will risk any player's career for a win.  At the end of the day, the player is expendable if that sacrifice will benefit the coach's career in Miami.  Even the franchise QB.

Von Miller is another example of how to do it right.  Von comes out and says that he can play through the injury and he'll be back in a couple of weeks.  The next morning Beane places him on short term IR so he can fully heal.

You can make the argument that Beane and McDermott are just being "big picture smart" letting Tre come along slowly and forcing Von off the field so he can get right for the playoff push, but I think there is more to it than that.  I think they genuinely care about the players in that locker room and their actions show it.  Most importantly, Bills players see that and other players around the league see that.

I think players are beginning to look at Buffalo like they used to look at Seattle as being a player friendly destination and that can only help the team going forward.  That perception could be a factor in landing a free agent wide receiver who is coming off of an ACL injury too.

Could not agree more. This is my nomination for post of the season award - cheers!! 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

We also know that; Josh is tough as nails and an Ulnar is much different than ACL/MCL tears. Ya know, that pesky little science thing. Much different risks involved. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I've read the Josh Green Bay concussion thing a couple times today in different threads and it is honestly the first time I've heard that.  What play did it happen on and was there any discussion about it after the game?   Josh played at a high level that game and took care of GB handily.  

There was a replay here somewhere that showed him banging his head on the turf while getting tackled. I don’t recall the exact timeline, but it seemed to be roughly about when that rumor started. His head hit pretty hard! Concussed? IDK.  🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

Could not agree more. This is my nomination for post of the season award - cheers!! 

We also know that; Josh is tough as nails and an Ulnar is much different than ACL/MCL tears. Ya know, that pesky little science thing. Much different risks involved. 

Wait, do you think if we were undefeated with a 2-3 game lead in the division Josh would have played? Lmao 

• Dislike 1

9 hours ago, Chaos said:

This teams chemistry really is McDermott's crowing achievement.  It makes it more fun for fans and makes it easily to emotionally invest in the team.  In many ways it is a great strategy.  I see no reason to disrupt.  

Part of that strategy seems include "dance with who you brung".  The teams seems to want to win together with the players it has or lose together.  And there is the only real downside.   Dance with who you brung, means you might not be dancing with the prettiest girl.  

The last couple of super bow winners, the Rams, and Bucs won with big contributions from new players.  I am fully on board with the Bills strategy, but it is  not at all clear it is the optimal strategy for winning championships.  

"Winning isn’t everything; it's the only thing" is a well-known quotation in sports. 

This may or may not be the same as "process and player happiness are not the only thing, they are everything" .  It would be wonderful to have both. 

We've recently brought in Klein, Rhodes, Marlowe, Hines and in the hunt for OBJ.  We didn't bring any of them to the dance initially.

11 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I've read the Josh Green Bay concussion thing a couple times today in different threads and it is honestly the first time I've heard that.  What play did it happen on and was there any discussion about it after the game?   Josh played at a high level that game and took care of GB handily.  

He played high-level the first half. There is internet video of 17 taking a harsh hit in GB. He is shown on all fours shaking his head like a dog.

Sorry. I Googled and couldn't find a link.

Edit: best I could find was this discussion https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/243461-josh-allen-concussion-speculation

Edited by boater
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I will add: the Pegula/Bills state of the art training facility also make the Bills player friendly and an attractive destination. I read somewhere that the Bills facility is top 3 in the NFL. Add conservative injury treatment to that desirable.

Imagine as a free agent: you can go play under player friendly coaches, a beast of a QB, conservative trainers/injury handling, a state of the art facility, and Bills Mafia shovel you out of your house. Who can say no to that?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, klos63 said:

We've recently brought in Klein, Rhodes, Marlowe, Hines and in the hunt for OBJ.  We didn't bring any of them to the dance initially.

Hardly the same as bringing in Stafford, OBJ (on a short term win now deal) and Von Miller (on a short term win now deal).  But I guess a guy off the street like Klein is the same sort of win now commitment. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.