Under McBeane, the Bills are a player friendly franchise

Inigo Montoya

It's become a bit of a cliché when McDermott says to come to the Bills to be the best version of yourself.  And when you hear multiple Bills players talk about how tight the players and coaches are in Buffalo, that they're like family, you can be tempted to dismiss it because you hear that from other locker rooms around the league too.  A lot of franchises talk the talk about being a "family" but their actions show something completely different when it comes down to crunch time.

An easy example of a franchise saying one thing and doing the opposite is the recent Tua fiasco in Miami.  McDaniels got up on national TV and said that he had no idea Tua was hurt in the Buffalo game and he would never put a player on the field who was at risk. That's not what he's about.   

He was lying. 

Everyone in the Phins locker room knew he was lying.  Every player in the NFL knew he was lying.  The video spoke for itself.  The message was clear, in a pinch, the Phins will risk any player's career for a win.  At the end of the day, the player is expendable if that sacrifice will benefit the coach's career in Miami.  Even the franchise QB.

Now contrast that with how the Bills are handling Tre White and Von Miller.  Tre has been brought back slowly and gently eased back onto the field.  He only played two series last week against the Lions and played about 65% of the snaps this week.  Most franchises wouldn't do it that way.  They would tell their multi-million dollar DB that as soon as he is cleared to play medically they want him back on the field.  Not in Buffalo.

Von Miller is another example of how to do it right.  Von comes out and says that he can play through the injury and he'll be back in a couple of weeks.  The next morning Beane places him on short term IR so he can fully heal.

You can make the argument that Beane and McDermott are just being "big picture smart" letting Tre come along slowly and forcing Von off the field so he can get right for the playoff push, but I think there is more to it than that.  I think they genuinely care about the players in that locker room and their actions show it.  Most importantly, Bills players see that and other players around the league see that.

I think players are beginning to look at Buffalo like they used to look at Seattle as being a player friendly destination and that can only help the team going forward.  That perception could be a factor in landing a free agent wide receiver who is coming off of an ACL injury too.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 19
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It's become a bit of a cliché when McDermott says to come to the Bills to be the best version of yourself.  And when you hear multiple Bills players talk about how tight the players and coaches are in Buffalo, that they're like family, you can be tempted to dismiss it because you hear that from other locker rooms around the league too.  A lot of franchises talk the talk about being a "family" but their actions show something completely different when it comes down to crunch time.

An easy example of a franchise saying one thing and doing the opposite is the recent Tua fiasco in Miami.  McDaniels got up on national TV and said that he had no idea Tua was hurt in the Buffalo game and he would never put a player on the field who was at risk. That's not what he's about.   

He was lying. 

Everyone in the Phins locker room knew he was lying.  Every player in the NFL knew he was lying.  The video spoke for itself.  The message was clear, in a pinch, the Phins will risk any player's career for a win.  At the end of the day, the player is expendable if that sacrifice will benefit the coach's career in Miami.  Even the franchise QB.

Now contrast that with how the Bills are handling Tre White and Von Miller.  Tre has been brought back slowly and gently eased back onto the field.  He only played two series last week against the Lions and played about 65% of the snaps this week.  Most franchises wouldn't do it that way.  They would tell their multi-million dollar DB that as soon as he is cleared to play medically they want him back on the field.  Not in Buffalo.

Von Miller is another example of how to do it right.  Von comes out and says that he can play through the injury and he'll be back in a couple of weeks.  The next morning Beane places him on short term IR so he can fully heal.

You can make the argument that Beane and McDermott are just being "big picture smart" letting Tre come along slowly and forcing Von off the field so he can get right for the playoff push, but I think there is more to it than that.  I think they genuinely care about the players in that locker room and their actions show it.  Most importantly, Bills players see that and other players around the league see that.

I think players are beginning to look at Buffalo like they used to look at Seattle as being a player friendly destination and that can only help the team going forward.  That perception might help a little bit in landing a free agent wide receiver who is coming off of an ACL injury too.

Was Seattle really ever considered a player friendly destination?  I know they had good teams for awhile but I do remember reading some articles that came out after that run that there was a lot of turmoil behind the scenes

For the most part, the Bills do appear to have genuine concern for their employees, although “some”  have said Josh played concussed during the GB game, and continued to play an additional game/s not fully healed, certainly that is unconfirmed…, in NFL football players play injured on a regular basis, some more so than others, in a pinch during very important games players who should not be on the field do indeed play. We should not pretend otherwise.

Go Bills!!!

6 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

For the most part, the Bills do appear to have genuine concern for their employees, although “some”  have said Josh played concussed during the GB game, and continued to play an additional game/s not fully healed, certainly that is unconfirmed…, in NFL football players play injured on a regular basis, some more so than others, in a pinch during very important games players who should not be on the field do indeed play. We should not pretend otherwise.

Go Bills!!!

I've read the Josh Green Bay concussion thing a couple times today in different threads and it is honestly the first time I've heard that.  What play did it happen on and was there any discussion about it after the game?   Josh played at a high level that game and took care of GB handily.  

10 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I've read the Josh Green Bay concussion thing a couple times today in different threads and it is honestly the first time I've heard that.  What play did it happen on and was there any discussion about it after the game?   Josh played at a high level that game and took care of GB handily.  

I don’t have the answer, that’s is why I said (“some” have said”), it was an example of what likely happens with regularity around the league, to include Buffalo, as I said the Bills do appear to have genuine care for their players well being, but when push comes to shove all team step outside the lines/push the boundaries on this issue, 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

30 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

He was lying. 

I think players are beginning to look at Buffalo like they used to look at Seattle as being a player friendly destination and that can only help the team going forward.  That perception could be a factor in landing a free agent wide receiver who is coming off of an ACL injury too.

I agree. Don't really have to look much further than the Lawson and Phillips return, interviews and comments made by them. The old sayings of family first, grass isn't greener or you don't know what you've got.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/jordan-phillips-this-is-the-place-i-wanted-to-be

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/buffalo/news/2022/11/29/shaq-gets-swag-back-with-bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

You make some great points, but being "big picture smart" and genuinely caring about players isn't an either/or proposition. In any business, taking care of your people - preferably out of a sincere concern for their welfare - is a good long-term strategy. So the fact that McD and Beane genuinely care about the players is, in fact, being "big picture smart."

Other businesses are starting to see that, due to the shortage of quality workers. Heck, I'm a freelancer and my clients go out of their way to make me happy so I'll continue working for them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

You make some great points, but being "big picture smart" and genuinely caring about players isn't an either/or proposition. In any business, taking care of your people - preferably out of a sincere concern for their welfare - is a good long-term strategy. So the fact that McD and Beane genuinely care about the players is, in fact, being "big picture smart."

Other businesses are starting to see that, due to the shortage of quality workers. Heck, I'm a freelancer and my clients go out of their way to make me happy so I'll continue working for them.

Hopefully we can have even fewer and fewer quality workers in the future, so that people have to become nicer and nicer. 

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Hopefully we can have even fewer and fewer quality workers in the future, so that people have to become nicer and nicer. 

Nothing wrong with telling your employer, "Don't tread on me - I have other options." Free market, you know.

• Like (+1) 1

This teams chemistry really is McDermott's crowing achievement.  It makes it more fun for fans and makes it easily to emotionally invest in the team.  In many ways it is a great strategy.  I see no reason to disrupt.  

Part of that strategy seems include "dance with who you brung".  The teams seems to want to win together with the players it has or lose together.  And there is the only real downside.   Dance with who you brung, means you might not be dancing with the prettiest girl.  

The last couple of super bow winners, the Rams, and Bucs won with big contributions from new players.  I am fully on board with the Bills strategy, but it is  not at all clear it is the optimal strategy for winning championships.  

"Winning isn’t everything; it's the only thing" is a well-known quotation in sports. 

This may or may not be the same as "process and player happiness are not the only thing, they are everything" .  It would be wonderful to have both. 

• Agree 1

Phillips, Lawson, Brown, Klein, Marlowe, Barkley…

Yeah, the word is out among job seekers that Buffalo, besides being a odds on favorite and contender with a star QB, has a culture, national exposure, and fan base that is very attractive to free agents. 
NFL players make up an exclusive community who frequently talk among themselves. I don’t think there is a single current or recent past Bill who had anything but praise for the city and team.  

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Was Seattle really ever considered a player friendly destination?  I know they had good teams for awhile but I do remember reading some articles that came out after that run that there was a lot of turmoil behind the scenes

Pete Carroll is beloved as a coach...Russell Wilson tho...not that much.

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

He was lying. 

Fire them both Beane doesn't know how to evaluate talent & McD is a terrible clock manager ... Oh Wait wrong post SORRY .

I'm with you these 2 have been the best hire that the Bills & the Pegs could have ever made in todays NFL they are setting a example in everything they do yet there are still those here that just don't or won't see it & you can't no matter what they do make them happy .

But after all it is the Bills Mafia we are talking about but the Pegs need to keep these guys around as long as they can because i feel as long as they are a part of the Bills organization they won't have any problem other than the cap to keep good players around & the wins will follow .

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

You can just feel it with this team . Everything they say is authentic 

McBeane is the gold standard on how to build a Championship caliber team from scratch, literally. 

By 2019 I think Dawkins, Lawson and Hughes were the only guys on the team when McBeane took over

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

The last couple of super bow winners, the Rams, and Bucs won with big contributions from new players.  I am fully on board with the Bills strategy, but it is  not at all clear it is the optimal strategy for winning championships.

Not quite sure what you mean by this? Care to explain in more detail. 

This stuff is way overblown IMO.   If a Bills player is evaluated for a concussion and cleared they come back in if needed.  Most players will try to work the system to get back out there....lots of former players talk about how easy it is to game the protocol.    Wait until a QB gets their bell rung in the playoffs.....that will be bad for the product if Mahomes or any other QB has to come out in the first quarter for a concussion.  The system is still workable by the players if they want to get around it and they will still be doing it.  Its a little harder now with the updates but it still happens.

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Its all just BS fan speculation to try and give reason for Josh missing some passes.  Apparently this concussion lasted him like 6 weeks.  All bs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I’ve been feeling this way too, this season.

What has struck me is the way McBeane haven’t panicked during this rash of injuries. They have kept a steady keel and let players rest and heal as necessary. Brought in and elevated backups as required and just kept moving forward, always with their eye on the real prize at the end of the season. Players in and out of the organization take notice of this.

It also doesn’t hurt having fostered leadership among the players ranks on both sides of the ball that lead by example while staying appropriately humble.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Yes there was much discussion about it. He played great...until that hit. I'm not one for farfetched theories but I admit I think Josh was hiding a concussion. I was mildly surprised they didn't evaluate him after that play when I watched it live. 

But I digress. I do think McBeane have created a really player friendly culture.

Edited by NickelCity

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.