Hamlin Ejection

Irv

I’m a total Bills fan and homer.  I ask myself how I would feel if Diggs took the same hit Hamlin laid on Meyers?  No. I wouldn’t like it. But what is he supposed to do?  Go for the knees?  No.  Was he able to lower his head into the mid-section?  I don’t know.  On the second half thread there was some disagreement last night.  You can’t just let the receiver go untouched.  Right?  This is football for cripes sake.  

I thought Epenesa’s sack was vicious.  Should he have been ejected?  Hard to figure out.  What do you think?

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This one toes the line. Yeah, technically it's a hit to the head and neck area on a defenseless receiver. 

But the hit has to be made. He didn't launch himself and he didn't lower his helmet into the player. It was a textbook shoulder tackle.

If he doesn't make that hit, it's a TD.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

This one toes the line. Yeah, technically it's a hit to the head and neck area on a defenseless receiver. 

But the hit has to be made. He didn't launch himself and he didn't lower his helmet into the player. It was a textbook shoulder tackle.

If he doesn't make that hit, it's a TD.

I wonder if they could implement an eye for an eye rule. If the defenseless WR hit takes the player out of the game then you’re ejected. But if the player is able to return then you can return.

I think it’ll be fair.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Honestly, he’s supposed to avoid the contact all together. If you can’t play the ball don’t make contact.

There was a play in the Lions game Diggs took a shot to the head late. No call. I was fuming.

He didn't play the ball?

From what I see, he's looking at the ball and he hits the ball with his arm. Hamlin knocked the ball out.

The rule is the rule and it's a penalty by rule. Can't really argue that.

Maybe if he had a split second longer he could've gotten lower and it wouldn't look so bad.

• Agree 1

Just now, LeGOATski said:

He didn't play the ball?

From what I see, he's looking at the ball and he hits the ball with his arm. Hamlin knocked the ball out.

The rule is the rule and it's a penalty by rule. Can't really argue that.

Maybe if he had a split second longer he could've gotten lower and it wouldn't look so bad.

He definitely played the body.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I wonder if they could implement an eye for an eye rule. If the defenseless WR hit takes the player out of the game then you’re ejected. But if the player is able to return then you can return.

I think it’ll be fair.

Yeah, maybe. 

I don't fault Hamlin, though. He has to make that hit, prevent the TD, and live with the penalty.

• Agree 5

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He definitely played the body.

Whatever that means...

He has to tackle the body to make the play in that split second.

Sure it be great if he could do a Neo Matrix move and swirl around the body while hitting the football out.

It's a penalty you gotta live with, but you can't just let the TD happen.

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, maybe. 

I don't fault Hamlin, though. He has to make that hit, prevent the TD, and live with the penalty.

I thought the same thing. If that’s a penalty then that’s one that is needed to be taken.  Never want to see a guy hurt.  I get that.  But man. I don’t know.  

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Whatever that means...

He has to tackle the body to make the play in that split second.

Sure it be great if he could do a Neo Matrix move and swirl around the body while hitting the football out.

It's a penalty you gotta live with, but you can't just let the TD happen.

It means exactly what you think it means. The NFL wants Hamlin not to attempt the hit because he’s too far away to play the ball. Only play for Hamlin is hit the player to force an incompletion.

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Nfl rules consider player safety a higher priority than making a good play.  Hamlin made the perfect play.  Too bad for him that his perfect play isn’t allowed in 2022.  

he doesn’t deserve a fine imo

One thing fans and media don’t understand about the rules is the NFL put these rules into place because ex players were suing the league and media was putting pressure on league for head injuries.

It’s actually the players and the media’s fault.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think it’ll be fair.

Until a Gregg Williams type coach sends in his practice squad DB to take out Diggs. 

Even patriots radio disagreed with the ejection saying the penalty was warranted but the ejection wasn't and how pretty soon it'll be flag football.

I'd be tempted to listen to those guys again, they were a riot.

With 13 minutes to go the patriots sent out the punt team and he goes, they're sending out the white flag.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.