Roughing the punter

Italian Bills

19 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Blocked into him.

19 hours ago, djp14150 said:

If you are blocked/ pushed into the punter you won’t get the call

He wasn't blocked into him. He pushed through the blocker to get to the punter and dove at his feet. Textbook roughing the kicker. 

Item 1. Roughing the kicker. It is a foul for roughing the kicker if a defensive player:

1. contacts the plant leg of the kicker while his kicking leg is still in the air

2. slides into or contacts the kicker when both of the kicker’s feet are on the ground. It is not a foul if the contact is not severe, or if the kicker returns both feet to the ground prior to the contact and falls over a defender on the ground

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Joquan Johnson throws the guy into Martin. Johnson having a rough season.

Thanks for posting.  I tried to watch frame by frame and it looks like the Patriot defender may have been blocked into Martin but the picture is so small and the quality is not great.  It's tough to tell.

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Likely would have been running into not roughing anyway and not a first down.

Running into the kicker is when they contact the kicking leg or cause the kicker to land on top of them. Roughing the kicker is when they contact the plant leg or both legs on the ground, which he clearly did.

Joquan Johnson throws the guy into Martin. Johnson having a rough season.

The defender bull rushed right through Johnson. Johnson barely got in the guy's way, let alone "threw him" anywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, MPT said:

Running into the kicker is when they contact the kicking leg or cause the kicker to land on top of them. Roughing the kicker is when they contact the plant leg or both legs on the ground, which he clearly did.

The defender bull rushed right through Johnson. Johnson barely got in the guy's way, let alone "threw him" anywhere.

In full speed that’s a thrown into the punter.

• Eyeroll 1

42 minutes ago, MPT said:

He wasn't blocked into him. He pushed through the blocker to get to the punter and dove at his feet. Textbook roughing the kicker. 

Item 1. Roughing the kicker. It is a foul for roughing the kicker if a defensive player:

1. contacts the plant leg of the kicker while his kicking leg is still in the air

2. slides into or contacts the kicker when both of the kicker’s feet are on the ground. It is not a foul if the contact is not severe, or if the kicker returns both feet to the ground prior to the contact and falls over a defender on the ground

Agree.

Rewatching and saw Jaquan Johnson blocked the defender and was turned sideways and lost the block.   The defender proceeded to fall into Martin in his own hitting his plant leg.  Johnson did not push the defender towards Martin in any way.

Roughing the kicker for sure.

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That telecast was terrible.  Absolutely no replays of anything. So far Prime is failing. 

I don’t know - I love the Prime Telecast.  I love the pre and post game.  Michaels and Herbstreet are fine.  I love having the Prime Vision cast with stats and facts and the All-22 view.

I love getting the game on my TV and then flipping to my I-Pad when I want to travel or head to bed.

I think Prime is already significantly better than Sunday Night Football or MNF on ESPN - although I enjoy the Manning cast.  

Considering how this is their first season and they are offering much more than traditional channels - I am ecstatic with the games.  Give me more and fire the SNF group and Aikman on Mondays.

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

No One can escape injuries on this team this year. YOURE NEXT MR. LONGSNAPPER

Hush your mouth! 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Agree.

Rewatching and saw Jaquan Johnson blocked the defender and was turned sideways and lost the block.   The defender proceeded to fall into Martin in his own hitting his plant leg.  Johnson did not push the defender towards Martin in any way.

No chance. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MPT said:

Pats player was blocked/ thrown into our punter. 

4 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Like the potential Poyer INT, this is a case of not understanding the rules.   I can get an argument to change a rule but the rules are what they are.

Agree. Blocked into P no call. We can not like it but it’s the correct call. 

3 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Agree.

Absolutely not roughing. JJ blocks then throws the Pats player down where Martin is finishing the punt. No penalty. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Pats player was blocked/ thrown into our punter. 

Agree. Blocked into P no call. We can not like it but it’s the correct call. 

The defender bull rushed right past Johnson into Martin. Johnson was trying to block him away from Martin and got bulldozed out of the way. Please explain how someone blocks a defender into the punter with his back to the punter.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MPT said:

The defender bull rushed right past Johnson into Martin. Johnson was trying to block him away from Martin and got bulldozed out of the way. Please explain how someone blocks a defender into the punter with his back to the punter.

Even if the guy tripped over Johnson into the punter it’s not roughing. The player has to create the contact on his own. There’s absolutely no way you’re getting that call. Toss or no toss, Johnson touched him and the guy falls into the punter. Accident or on purpose, that call won’t happen.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Even if the guy tripped over Johnson into the punter it’s not roughing. The player has to create the contact on his own. There’s absolutely no way you’re getting that call. Toss or no toss, Johnson touched him and the guy falls into the punter. Accident or on purpose, that call won’t happen.

That play gets called almost every time. The defender's goal in that situation is to get through the block and try to block the punt. The only thing keeping them from constantly diving at punters' legs is this rule and it's enforced liberally because it's so easy to injure a punter doing that, which ended up happening to Martin. 

The Patriots got called for running into the kicker last week, in fact, despite barely touching the punter's kicking foot. The play we're talking about this week is described verbatim in the rule as being the more serious infraction and subject to a personal foul.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.