The obsession w/ how Josh Allen runs

Success

6 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

You see your examples were poor. Until recently NO COACH would run their QB on purpose in fear of losing them. That’s a new thing with usually a QB with bad mechanics and poor accuracy. Like Josh Allen first year ir two, not now.  

Fran Tarkenton (1961) and Bobby Douglass say "hi".   It's far from a new thing.

These might interest you if you'd like to talk in terms of the history of the game:

https://www.thesportster.com/nfl-best-running-quarterbacks/

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/who-is-the-best-running-qb-in-nfl-history

https://www.milehighreport.com/2022/10/21/23416200/how-the-running-quarterback-has-changed-the-nfl

There's some interesting commentary by Dick Vermeil here:

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/qb-hub/the-evolution-of-running-quarterbacks/

“I used to think – and I was wrong – I used to believe that if a quarterback can run he will run,” Vermeil said recently. “If he can’t, he’ll stay with the discipline of the play and stay in the pocket. He’ll get hit more, but he’ll stay with his progressions and end up with more good plays. That’s what I believed then.”

According to Vermeil, it wasn't so much fear of losing the QB that influenced front office and coach thinking.  They knew that QBs who stayed in the pocket would get hit more and take a beating.  But they believed that QB who could run, wouldn't stand in and take a beating, thus overall there would be less passing plays.

I don't think it's really scolding.  Posters are just being realistic; they don't want us to lose our franchise QB as a result of a wicked hit while Josh is running.

Specifically, Josh can still run but slide to avoid thise hits.

Because of rule changes favoring the QB, QB's in the pocket now don't get as beat up as they did formerly or when they run but don't slide.

My 10 cents (was 2 cents but inflation has affected everything.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

My greatest fear of Josh getting hurt is a blind side hit that he doesn't see coming.

Kind of like that strip sack by Uche, where he ran right by Quessenberry, stripped Josh, then picked him up and slammed him down (which should have, IMHO, been a roughing foul since he'd already stripped the ball, but I digress)

But you got to admit, some of the runs Josh does like the one here at 2:14  he's taking way more punishment than he needs to and putting himself at unnecessary risk.  It was 2nd and 8.  Yeah he wanted the first down, but 3rd and 1 isn't worth risking a trip to the Blue Tent of Doom where the "Independent Neurological Consultant" tells players "Yer OUT of the game".

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

The only thing that Josh Allen needs to improve, regarding his running ability, is deciding if it's worth it to run, in the situation he's in.

- Is it better to throw the ball away?

- Take the slide?

- Hurdle?

- Look like I'm committing to running, but throwing it all of a sudden in a surprise attack?

- I better fight for this 1st down?

- I better fight for this TD?

It's all on Josh Allen to decide. Not us. Not even the coaches. QBs can get wrecked just by taking a regular snap and staying in the pocket gearing up to throw.

1 hour ago, Old Coot said:

I don't think it's really scolding.  Posters are just being realistic; they don't want us to lose our franchise QB as a result of a wicked hit while Josh is running.

Specifically, Josh can still run but slide to avoid thise hits.

Because of rule changes favoring the QB, QB's in the pocket now don't get as beat up as they did formerly or when they run but don't slide.

My 10 cents (was 2 cents but inflation has affected everything.

Which QBs have had their careers derailed due to hits they’ve taken while running? I think the concern is somewhat overblown due to old biases against running QBs. He isn’t slamming into the line 20-30 times per game, he’s taking off maybe 5-10 times.

21 minutes ago, Punch said:

Which QBs have had their careers derailed due to hits they’ve taken while running? I think the concern is somewhat overblown due to old biases against running QBs. He isn’t slamming into the line 20-30 times per game, he’s taking off maybe 5-10 times.

The only risk that Allen's career will be cut short is once he slows down, will he be able to become a primary pocket passer without the threat of the run? I think he will.

The whole idea that his body just won't allow him to throw the ball because he ran too much is silly.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Punch said:

Agreed. But I hold my breath every time he runs in fear of a disabling hit.

13 hours ago, Old Coot said:

I hold my breathe every time he’s in the pocket and one of our linemen whiff on a block, since that’s when most injuries occur.

14 hours ago, Old Coot said:

I do know the feeling despite my stance. It’s unprecedented for a linebacker sized QB to be able to make the throws he makes and take off running the way he does. He’s truly a unicorn and I don’t think I’ll ever get used to it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.