Tre White Update - How did he do?

BillsfaninSB

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Which two? None of the corners other than the ones that were taken very early. Are playing at Elam level.

Maybe I’m mistaken.
I swore there were 3 or 4 CBs ahead of him, but I just looked and McDuffie was the only other one the Bills had a realistic chance to draft, with Stingley and Gardner going early.  I’m not much of a college or draft guru, so I just rely on grades and reviews leading up to the draft. I thought McDuffie would be a good pick.

i still believe Beane probably had prospects in other positions graded higher, but there was such an immediate need at the CB position, especially with the prospect of facing WRs like Jefferson and Hill on the other side of the ball. 
Though it’s way too early to talk 2023, I’m hopeful the Bills find a way to make their O-line a priority.  KC had to basically replace their entire line since their super bowl win and are playing at a higher level than the Bills line. 

17 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Remember when it took Tre a few weeks longer than we wanted to recover from his devastating knee injury so people here started saying he was lazily collecting money?  Good times.

even better is the im done guy that’s off the wall now 😝😝

9 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

i still believe Beane probably had prospects in other positions graded higher, but there was such an immediate need at the CB position, especially with the prospect of facing WRs like Jefferson and Hill on the other side of the ball. 

I don't know if he was blowing smoke, but after the draft Bean claimed that when their pick came up, Elam was the last guy left on the board for whom they had a first round grade.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I don't know if he was blowing smoke, but after the draft Bean claimed that when their pick came up, Elam was the last guy left on the board for whom they had a first round grade.

I forgot he said that. Maybe he was being truthful. Beane seems like a straight shooter, so I don’t doubt it. On the other hand, he wasn’t going to admit that it was a reach for a guy graded as 2nd-rounder (if that was the case). 
I believe Elam will be fine with continued coaching and more experience. Maybe our expectations were inflated by taking a CB in 2017 at #27 who was a force from day one. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

I forgot he said that. Maybe he was being truthful. Beane seems like a straight shooter, so I don’t doubt it. On the other hand, he wasn’t going to admit that it was a reach for a guy graded as 2nd-rounder (if that was the case). 
I believe Elam will be fine with continued coaching and more experience. Maybe our expectations were inflated by taking a CB in 2017 at #27 who was a force from day one. 

Based on the Tre White pick, Bills fans concluded Beane was a wizard at finding CBs.  So far it seems to remain the only data point supporting wizard status. 

21 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Based on the Tre White pick, Bills fans concluded Beane was a wizard at finding CBs.  So far it seems to remain the only data point supporting wizard status. 

Tre was drafted before Beane joined the Bills organization.

It’s a universally accepted notion that the draft is a bit of a crapshoot. Beane has done some brilliant maneuvering to attain additional picks and improve position. The moves to get Josh and then Edmunds in the first round was genius. Would Whaley or Buddy Nix have pulled that off?  They’d have drafted the next Terrell troop or John McCargo.
Beane has had a few misses (Cody Ford is the obvious name that comes to mind), but he’s built a competitive team through the draft and by fostering a culture that attracts FAs. 

Edited by SoMAn
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Maybe I’m mistaken.
I swore there were 3 or 4 CBs ahead of him, but I just looked and McDuffie was the only other one the Bills had a realistic chance to draft, with Stingley and Gardner going early.  I’m not much of a college or draft guru, so I just rely on grades and reviews leading up to the draft. I thought McDuffie would be a good pick.

Though it’s way too early to talk 2023, I’m hopeful the Bills find a way to make their O-line a priority.  KC had to basically replace their entire line since their super bowl win and are playing at a higher level than the Bills line. 

They went different directions with their priorities. The office of line for Kansas City might be better than the bills, but the defensive line for Buffalo is better than the Chiefs.

there at this moment is literally two games separating these teams, and the bills have won their only head to head match up this year

people need to stop fawning over the Chiefs. We have our own eight and three teams sitting right here in front of us.

Edited by John from Riverside

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

They went different directions with their priorities. The office of line for Kansas City might be better than the bills, but the defensive line for Buffalo is better than the Chiefs.

there at this moment is literally two games separating these teams, and the bills have won their only head to head match up this year

people need to stop fawning over the Chiefs. We have our own eight and three teams sitting right here in front of us.

Fawning over the Chiefs? No. I was using their immediate rebuild of an offensive line as something that is do-able. But, good point about Bills conversely focusing on D-line. 

For me, I see an offense that could be almost unstoppable with good run blocking and a complimentary WR. Love Gabe, but if Diggs is ever out, it’s scary to think of Gabe as being our # 1 WR.  

9 hours ago, SoMAn said:

I still think Elam was a reach and a consolation prize after the early run on CBs in the 2022 draft.  I think Beane had his eye on at least 2 others before they were grabbed up ahead of the Bills’ pick. But with Tre’s scheduled return uncertain and with Wallace gone, they were desperate and chose Elam, who they claim they had a “first round grade” on. Not sure I buy that line. 

Elam is still a project. He has the skills and I believe the desire. Just needs to get with the program and play smarter.  He’s not there yet, but hoping he’ll make the jump by year 2. 

Too bad the Bills couldn't have gotten Sauce Gardner. It just cost too much to get there. But damn that guy looks like the next Revis. 

6 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Tre was drafted before Beane joined the Bills organization.

It’s a universally accepted notion that the draft is a bit of a crapshoot. Beane has done some brilliant maneuvering to attain additional picks and improve position. The moves to get Josh and then Edmunds in the first round was genius. Would Whaley or Buddy Nix have pulled that off?  They’d have drafted the next Terrell troop or John McCargo.
Beane has had a few misses (Cody Ford is the obvious name that comes to mind), but he’s built a competitive team through the draft and by fostering a culture that attracts FAs. 

So no support at all that he is a CB wizard :(  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.