Top 10 TE in the NFL this season (yards)

ArdmoreRyno

Admin, merge to the Knox thread if you guys want... but I thought this feel this needs it's own post so people can see how Dawson is doing compared to the top 10 TE in the NFL this season. I don't get the hate Knox gets by some people on this board. 

The last seven (7) games, all passes regardless how good or bad they were: 

Knox: 26 targets - 21 catches - 2 touchdowns (80.1% completion rate)

Kelce: 60 targets - 40 catches - 5 touchdowns (66.7%)

Andrews: 48 targets - 30 catches - 2 touchdowns (62.5%)

Hockernson: 47 targets - 34 catches - 1 touchdown (72.3%)

Freiermuth: 41 targets - 29 catches - 0 touchdowns (70.7%)

Njoku: 46 targets - 37 catches - 2 touchdowns (80.4%)

Kittle: 42 targets - 30 catches - 4 touchdowns (71.4%)

Higbee: 35 targets - 22 catches - 0 touchdowns (62.8%)

Ertz: 44 targets - 26 catches - 3 touchdowns (59.0%)

Hurst: 39 targets - 32 catches - 1 touchdown (82.0%)

Everett: 39 targets - 28 catches - 1 touchdown (71.7)

His catch % compared to his first 3 seasons

knox.thumb.JPG.4ab1a78f46806f25518b47a90f1c7626.JPG

Edited by ArdmoreRyno
  • Like (+1) 1

The Knox worry is so overblown that I rarely ever bother to address it. 

We’ve kept him in to block a ton this year, and when he does leak out as a release valve, Allen rarely looks to check it down to him.  

It is what it is.  

He’s not Kelce.  Nobody is.  However, he’s in the group of above average TE’s after Kelce/Kittle/Andrews… We just have to add “getting Knox involved” to the list of clunky offensive issues we’re trying to iron out.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

With the injuries on the offensive line, Knox has to help more with blocking, so he isn't running as many routes and getting as many targets.  Plus, the Bills are running the ball more than in the past, so, again, Knox isn't getting targets on those plays either.  When called upon, Knox has made plays as a receiver.  I'm not concerned about his "lack of" production.  What I have seen out of Knox in the last three games is that he was part of a winning team, and I'm good with that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The Knox worry is so overblown that I rarely ever bother to address it. 

We’ve kept him in to block a ton this year, and when he does leak out as a release valve, Allen rarely looks to check it down to him.  

It is what it is.  

He’s not Kelce.  Nobody is.  However, he’s in the group of above average TE’s after Kelce/Kittle… We just have to add “getting Knox involved” to the list of clunky offensive issues we’re trying to iron out.  

He blocked his ass off last night against Judon. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Look at that list and look at 26 targets. You can't ignore a $53M TE in your offense. Other than the drop,  Dawson was wide open several times last night? I didn't have the answer.  Only Josh & Dorsey can answer that.  But you can't pay a TE that much to only block.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

With the injuries on the offensive line, Knox has to help more with blocking, so he isn't running as many routes and getting as many targets.  Plus, the Bills are running the ball more than in the past, so, again, Knox isn't getting targets on those plays either.  When called upon, Knox has made plays as a receiver.  I'm not concerned about his "lack of" production.  What I have seen out of Knox in the last three games is that he was part of a winning team, and I'm good with that.

Knox is very good when they keep him in to help max protect. Also very underrated run blocker as well.  He is a good all-around TE.  Those are hard to find these days,

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Knox is not too far as last years clip in terms of catches and yards.  Last year he had 49 for 587, he is on pace for 47 and 463.   The big drop off is one yard TD passes.   IMO the reaction to the TD's was a little over the top.   The reaction to "leading the leaque in TD's" was overblown.  It was a very low year for TE TD catches where 9 was the highest.  Kelce has that beat this year already.   He is a decent TE, I'm glad he is still here, sure I would like to see an uptick in production but he is not that different than he was, the close to the end zone targets have just not been there.

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Look at that list and look at 26 targets. You can't ignore a $53M TE in your offense. Other than the drop,  Dawson was wide open several times last night? I didn't have the answer.  Only Josh & Dorsey can answer that.  But you can't pay a TE that much to only block.

He was wide open twice that i saw last night.  Once on the Diggs TD, and once on the Diggs sideline catch where Diggs was held.  

5 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Admin, merge to the Knox thread if you guys want... but I thought this feel this needs it's own post so people can see how Dawson is doing compared to the top 10 TE in the NFL this season. I don't get the hate Knox gets by some people on this board. 

The last seven (7) games, all passes regardless how good or bad they were: 

Knox: 26 targets - 21 catches - 2 touchdowns (80.1% completion rate)

Kelce: 60 targets - 40 catches - 5 touchdowns (66.7%)

Andrews: 48 targets - 30 catches - 2 touchdowns (62.5%)

Hockernson: 47 targets - 34 catches - 1 touchdown (72.3%)

Freiermuth: 41 targets - 29 catches - 0 touchdowns (70.7%)

Njoku: 46 targets - 37 catches - 2 touchdowns (80.4%)

Kittle: 42 targets - 30 catches - 4 touchdowns (71.4%)

Higbee: 35 targets - 22 catches - 0 touchdowns (62.8%)

Ertz: 44 targets - 26 catches - 3 touchdowns (59.0%)

Hurst: 39 targets - 32 catches - 1 touchdown (82.0%)

Everett: 39 targets - 28 catches - 1 touchdown (71.7)

His catch % compared to his first 3 seasons

knox.thumb.JPG.4ab1a78f46806f25518b47a90f1c7626.JPG

Soooo... five more catches and 1 more TD... is this a long lost sign Ertz thread? :thumbsup:

35 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I don't see many people hating Knox the player. I see a lot of people hating his contract and usage.

Bills are using him a lot more in max protect in key situations. Obviously not ideal but he is a well rounded TE. Good pass catcher, very good run blocker, good blitz pick up guy...he can kind of do it all.

Those guys are very hard to find. Usually need 2 roster spots to have all those skills at a good enough level to use them regularly there.

Edited by Big Turk

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Bills are using him a lot more in max protect in key situations. Obviously not ideal but he is a well rounded TE. Good pass catcher, very good run blocker, good blitz pick up guy...he can kind of do it all.

Those guys are very hard to find. Usually need 2 roster spots to have all those skills at a good enough level to use them regularly there.

He's not being paid for his blocking abilities. You can always sign Lee Smith at a vet minimum contract to do that.

• Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

He's not being paid for his blocking abilities. You can always sign Lee Smith at a vet minimum contract to do that.

The extra roster spot is worth more to them apparently.  And they are paying him to help them win games in a variety of ways.  Whatever way they might need for a given week.  Ideally, you'd like to not need him as much in pass pro, but it is what it is right now.

13 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

You can if it's the best thing for the offense. You can if it maximizes the effectiveness of the offense.

You can and you should, in that case. In some games I would guess it would be different. But his money isn't for catches. It's for doing whatever he can do to make the offense function better on each play. Sometimes that will be blocking. 

7 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

No.

Lee Smith's blocking and effectiveness is greatly affected by the fact that there's only one thing he can do really well. The fact that the D has to respect Dawson's pass catching ability is an extra weapon even when he's just blocking. He could always block for a second and then just go. You don't have that threat with Lee Smith.

He's being paid for the whole package. Which absolutely includes his blocking abilities.

Edited by Thurman#1

15 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Also having two RBs on the field has not helped him get opportunities.  When Gillian was in instead of the 2nd RB,  Knox was getting targeted more.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.