Poll: Which 2023 free agent do you want to keep on the roster?

Lost

Which 2023 Bills free agent should we keep?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming the Bills only have cap space to sign one of these guys next year, who do you resign?

• Jordan Poyer
    • Tremaine Edmunds
    • Beane will find a way to re-sign both
  2. 2. If we let either of these guys walk, do you think we should spend an early round draft pick to fill their position?

• Yes
    • No

Also interested in hearing your thoughts on how we go about replacing either Edmunds or Poyer.   Can we get by with the depth we have there for a year or two or do we need to target these positions early on in next years draft considering we already have glaring needs on OL and WR?

Poyer has proved his weight in gold and the current backups have already shown they aren't capable of keeping the defense running. Poyer is a must have next season, especially with 20+ FA on the roster. 

Edmunds has come into his own this year and is an integral piece. Would really like to keep him around with Milano. 

A big part of the reason we need to keep these guys is holes elsewhere. We have ripped through too many top 100 picks we haven't kept and/or needed to replace/upgrade. I don't think we keep Singletary, Moss is gone, redraft of Cook, AJE, Basham, then Groot, only to give huge money to Von and eat up both  cap and draft picks. We can't keep going back to the well for the same position groups. We need to spend our top picks to fix new issues like everybody on OL with Morse being a FA and WR.

I really don't want to use high picks on S or MLB right now. 

• Like (+1) 2

If we lose one they need to be replaced. We don’t have a quality backup to step in, and they are both important to this defense. 

We could go WR, S, OL in the first three rounds and pickup quality eventual starters. Perhaps they pick up another interior OL in FA too. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Poyer has proved his weight in gold and the current backups have already shown they aren't capable of keeping the defense running. Poyer is a must have next season, especially with 20+ FA on the roster. 

Edmunds has come into his own this year and is an integral piece. Would really like to keep him around with Milano. 

A big part of the reason we need to keep these guys is holes elsewhere. We have ripped through too many top 100 picks we haven't kept and/or needed to replace/upgrade. I don't think we keep Singletary, Moss is gone, redraft of Cook, AJE, Basham, then Groot, only to give huge money to Von and eat up both  cap and draft picks. We can't keep going back to the well for the same position groups. We need to spend our top picks to fix new issues like everybody on OL with Morse being a FA and WR.

I really don't want to use high picks on S or MLB right now. 

I agree with all this though I hope the Bills find a way to keep Groot around in 2025.   I'm hoping next years draft is OL, WR, OL, TE, S

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I really hope they can keep both. The defense is much better when one or both of these guys play. If I had to keep one, I say Edmunds, and the only deciding factor is age 

Yeah, as much as I love Poyer and think he's absolutely vital to this defense, he's got what 7 years on Edmunds.   But I can understand why Poyer would be feeling some frustration when we just gave a monster contract to Von Miller at the same age.   Just hope Beane finds a way.   Plus I'd like to have at least one more good run with Poyer AND Hyde on the field together.   Best safety tandem in the league by far.

• Like (+1) 1

Re-sign Edmunds. 

Reluctantly let Poyer walk. 

Do not use a high pick at Safety.  Hyde/Hamlin in ‘23 with someone like Dean Marlowe as depth, along with an early Day 3 pick. 

Day 1 and Day 2 picks for the Offense.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Lost said:

Also interested in hearing your thoughts on how we go about replacing either Edmunds or Poyer.   Can we get by with the depth we have there for a year or two or do we need to target these positions early on in next years draft considering we already have glaring needs on OL and WR?

i think Poyer will cost less.

also remember Oliver…sign him?

i feel you can replace Edmonds in the draft or signing a cheaper FA who was stuck behind someone else 

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Beane will find a way to keep them both.  Biggest draft needs next year are OL and WR, so no early picks on defense.  There's been enough of the early D picks, we need to get Josh more help.

WR is a lower need.  TE is different 

i look at WR more for a 24 draft need

the issue is with Oliver, Edmonds, and Poyer and what’s in the draft class.  I don’t the locker room which also is a factor here.

if you let Edmonds walk then your 1st or 2nd is on a LB

31 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If Hyde returns then you go with Hyde and Hamlin as the safety duo next year. 

I don’t see a way to keep Poyer and Hyde.

Hyde's already under contract for next year, after last night I think I'd keep Poyer around another year or two and replace Edmunds. As to me all Edmunds is a speedy LB that at times makes tackles. Poyer just seems to be a complete S in coverage and tackling. 

• Dislike 1

19 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Hyde's already under contract for next year, after last night I think I'd keep Poyer around another year or two and replace Edmunds. As to me all Edmunds is a speedy LB that at times makes tackles. Poyer just seems to be a complete S in coverage and tackling. 

How are you replacing Edmunds? We have Hamlin and his less than $1 million cap hit that can start at safety.

They can’t afford to have both Poyer and Hyde on the roster next year. 

Honestly I wish they never extended Knox. Could’ve given that contract to Poyer.

This is what sucks about being good and what qbs get paid. You have to make really tough decisions. Right now, I think Poyer is the better player at his position. However when you factor in age and Poyer really starting to struggle with injuries (and salute to him for playing through it), plus the factor we have great coaching for d backs, you keep Edmunds and let Poyer go. It sucks but elite teams cut bait a year too earlier rather than a year too later. And it sucks but that’s the business 

Is Poyer headed for a Russell Wilson type scenario, moves to another team, late in his career for his position, and hits the wall? 

Since he's a West Coast native, I could see him headed to the 49'rs if he wants another shot at a ring.

He's the 8th oldest safety in the league and analytics have him as the #19 S. There are only 3 safeties [McCourty being one] more than a year older than he is.

Edmunds will cost a lot, he's one of the top coverage MLB's in the league and with his wingspan it's difficult to use the middle of the field.

Food for thought.

Poyer - 5 year deal (5yr/$50M) with outs in 3 years making it essentially a 3 year/$10M per commitment but spread the money out.

Edmunds - You sign long term - wont be pass rusher money but likely 5yr/$85M. It wont be easy to find a player like him for this defense. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.