OL Pass blocking was terrible times vs. NE & Drops - But a comfortable win

Billsfan1972

Way too many threads so two quick observations.

I seldom pay close attention, but yesterday the pass blocking seemed terrible at times with the strip fumble being one of many whiffs yesterday (and a holding penalty that cost the Bills 7).  Got to clean that up.

And the Bills must have dropped 5 passes minimum last night (Knox, Singletary, Gabe & even Diggs).

See both Davis & Diggs @ 6 drops (though Davis has a 10% drop rate).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/receiving_advanced.htm

Love Diggs, but there have been times I've seen him mistime some leaps and drop catchable balls.  Yesterday a 20 yarder on 3rd down and one that was not talked about enough with 4 minutes to go vs. Minnesota on 3rd down the exact same type of pass that forced a punt and all contributed to the end of that game.

Can't do that when games are on the line and as the playoffs approach.  

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 4

The Diggs drop yesterday he slipped as he went to catch it. His feet just went from under him. Our guys seemed to slip a lot yesterday. 

3 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Dawkins being healthy is imperative for our offense, but I still appreciate Quiz going out and cutting it out because the dude was in pain and I bet would have been sitting if they had another body. 

Yep. Our offensive line goes as Dion goes. It has been true for the last 3 seasons. When he plays well, the line looks good I think in part because Josh can then just trust his blindside and move around other rushers if needed. When Dion is out or struggles and they come from everywhere even Josh Allen can't escape everything. 

But also agree on Quess. He came up limping from the first play. And yes he struggled but he just kept putting himself out there for the team. Hell of a tough dude and unfair to judge him on his performance on one leg last night. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Diggs drop yesterday he slipped as he went to catch it. His feet just went from under him. Our guys seemed to slip a lot yesterday. 

Yep. Our offensive line goes as Dion goes. It has been true for the last 3 seasons. When he plays well, the line looks good I think in part because Josh can then just trust his blindside and move around other rushers if needed. When Dion is out or struggles and they come from everywhere even Josh Allen can't escape everything. 

But also agree on Quess. He came up limping from the first play. And yes he struggled but he just kept putting himself out there for the team. Hell of a tough dude and unfair to judge him on his performance on one leg last night. 

Still was a drop.  Yep it happens, but reminded me of the one vs. Minny, which to me cost them the game (would have been 1st down on the 40/45 yard line and then they need one more first down and the game is over).

3rd & 15 at BUF 23

(3:40 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete deep left to S.Diggs (H.Smith).

Edited by Billsfan1972

My 25 year old son made an observation last night during the game that rang true to me.  He said that "players on offense keep taking turns letting Josh down."  Between drops by the WRs, stupid penalties, and shoddy pass blocking Allen is forced on nearly every series to overcome some mistake by one of his teammates to get a first down and score some points.

He pulls a rabbit out of his hat so often that we just come to expect it and are upset when it doesn't happen.  That TD play to Gabe was ridiculous.  His ability to move around in the pocket and compensate for the bad pass blocking last night was incredible.

It was great to see the running game have success against a good defense last night.  Allen needs someone to step up besides Diggs, and even Diggs has had some drops the last two weeks that are uncommon for him.  Hopefully they can continue to build on the run game and keep getting healthy on defense so Josh doesn't have to turn water into wine every game.

This team starts and ends with Josh Allen.  There isn't another player in the NFL who is asked to do as much as he is, and he keeps finding ways to do it.  It's exciting to watch but is definitely not a recipe for long term success.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

My 25 year old son made an observation last night during the game that rang true to me.  He said that "players on offense keep taking turns letting Josh down."  Between drops by the WRs, stupid penalties, and shoddy pass blocking Allen is forced on nearly every series to overcome some mistake by one of his teammates to get a first down and score some points.

He pulls a rabbit out of his hat so often that we just come to expect it and are upset when it doesn't happen.  That TD play to Gabe was ridiculous.  His ability to move around in the pocket and compensate for the bad pass blocking last night was incredible.

It was great to see the running game have success against a good defense last night.  Allen needs someone to step up besides Diggs, and even Diggs has had some drops the last two weeks that are uncommon for him.  Hopefully they can continue to build on the run game and keep getting healthy on defense so Josh doesn't have to turn water into wine every game.

This team starts and ends with Josh Allen.  There isn't another player in the NFL who is asked to do as much as he is, and he keeps finding ways to do it.  It's exciting to watch but is definitely not a recipe for long term success.  

While in the general sense I agree... I actually think last night was one of the least Josh-centric performances of the last few years. He only had to make that one incredible Davis play. Otherwise the Bills did a good job of keeping Josh in favourable situations for the most part, the slot guys, backs and tight ends got open for the short stuff, they ran the ball well and the defense shut the other team down. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Did he notice NE had a pick six, but dropped it? Or that the team rallied around a struggling Josh the past few weeks?

Josh didn’t win this game. This was a TOTAL team win. 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Did he notice NE had a pick six, but dropped it? Or that the team rallied around a struggling Josh the past few weeks?

And you didn't see 5 drops or whiffed blocks during pass protection????

Defense played well, but forced no turnovers, only 1 sack and NE too shot themselves in the foot a few times too.

Woohoo the Bills beat Mac Jones after big games vs. Goff & Brissett too.....    

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 5

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He deserves an ESPY.

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Defense played well, but forced no turnovers, only 1 sack and NE too shot themselves in the foot a few times too.

Happy Friday to you too. Did someone pee in your Flutie Flakes this morning?? You negative Nancies suck. 
I had a ton of fun watching a total team win. Josh made mistakes too. NE just didn’t capitalize. 
Got some Josh Allen jockstrap sniffers here. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3

The pass blocking wasn’t a surprise. That’s one of the best pressure defenses in the NFL. Quessenberry and Brown are terrible. Quessenberry was playing on a bad ankle that got worse.

Buffalo might have to start looking at the waiver wire. Bobby Hart is what we thought he was. They’re in trouble at that position. 

If I’m Beane I’m trying to get Eric Fisher in here.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

We had a back up left tackle on one leg.  If Greg Rosseau went up against a back up tackle with one leg and didn’t beat him consistently…it would be a bad look on Rousseau.

Defense gave up 10 points on the road without their best pass rusher.  NE averages 20 ppg and we held them to 10…but we didn’t get any turnovers or just one sack?  WTF?  
You can’t just give them credit….always got to have a little dig somewhere.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Dopey said:

He didn't notice the "pick six" that NE dropped.  Neither did I.  He did throw a ball to Diggs into double coverage that should have been picked.  I don't think it would have been a pick six though.  One thing he did notice was defensive ends and LBs getting free rushes at Josh all night and hammering him. He also noticed a long touchdown to Diggs get taken off the board on a blatant hold by a backup TE.  He also noticed a ball bounce off Diggs hands that would have been a 1st down on a 3rd and 11.

Why do you think Josh has struggled the last few games?   He has had bad o-line play, a #2 WR who has disappeared, a TE #1 who is on a milk carton, and slot receivers who have have been hit and miss, and a lot more miss than hit.  When Josh has to do everything sometimes it is going to look ugly.  Sometimes he is going to have to push.  Put any other QB in that situation and there is no way they win all three of those games.

I agree with you and Gunner Bill that the Bills played better around him last night.  The run game was really clicking.  There were some good things that happened last night, more so than in the preceding two games.  Let's hope that continues.  Let's hope the players around Josh can continue to elevate their play to match his.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The play got me was the opening drive 3rd down and he is scrambling and he shovel passes it to Singletary? For the first down just before going over the line of scrimmage and he got plastered as he passed it..  I was like Damn the D can’t buy a break! Allen did amazing last night.. (still can’t believe the jump and throw for a TD..)

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Happy Friday to you too. Did someone pee in your Flutie Flakes this morning?? You negative Nancies suck. 
I had a ton of fun watching a total team win. Josh made mistakes too. NE just didn’t capitalize. 
Got some Josh Allen jockstrap sniffers here. 

The Bills I thought were sloppy at times.  

They gutted out two time consuming drives (one a 14 play only 56 yard drive, which if a NE fan, would have been excruciating to watch).  They had a TD called back, a strip fumble too and allowed a 2 yard pass go 45 for a TD.  Add to that, the thread highlighted some bad blocking (which I seldom notice, so when I do it means it was obvious) and drops.

Sorry only 24 points just is okay too.  

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We had a back up left tackle on one leg.  If Greg Rosseau went up against a back up tackle with one leg and didn’t beat him consistently…it would be a bad look on Rousseau.

Defense gave up 10 points on the road without their best pass rusher.  NE averages 20 ppg and we held them to 10…but we didn’t get any turnovers or just one sack?  WTF?  
You can’t just give them credit….always got to have a little dig somewhere.

Whoa......  I was just making a point in response to someone else's thread.  

Yes only 10 points allowed however ask any NE fan and they are not impressed with NE's offense Mac Jones play (though he played well vs. Minny).

I know I have said it here before, listen to the ultimate Boston homer Bill Simmons (and the Ringer) and they scoff at NE's offense. 

BTW they scored 3 points on offense vs. NYJ. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.